Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #1

Solar MPPT Voltage during EQ Phase

Hi...I'm installing a 200w (going to 800w) solar system. I'm testing the setup away from my Redwood before installing into the coach. During the testing I measured an output voltage of +16vdc at the battery during the equalization phase (EQ). This makes me quite concerned about the longevity of the coach electrics during EQ.

Two warnings:
1. The MPPT controller merely states to disconnect the load during EQ (tough to do when you don't know it's going into EQ.
2. I generally limit voltages to +/- 10%. This has saved many replacement purchases in the past.

I'm very temped to program the EQ mode to the same voltage as the Boost phase to extend the load electronics life (e.g. inverter max input is 14.4v). Alternately I imagine I could put a voltage regulator between the battery and 12vdc bus.

Your comments and/or suggestions are appreciated.

P.S. This is a Renogy panel system with Rover MPPT controller.
rmoyers@mssi.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:39 PM   #2

14.7 vdc normal voltage in a car charging. How confident are you in the meter being accurate ? Deep cycle battery's don't like high voltage charging , it will possible shorten the life of them. A regulator isn't necessary in my opinion plus you would need something rated at over 200 amps . My inverter has a equalize task available if I turn it on , I only do this once a season.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:14 PM   #3

The first thing to check is the battery manufacturer's recommendations for equalizing voltage. Next, measure the equalizing voltage directly at the battery terminals with an accurate meter. There may be a voltage drop from the controller to the batteries due to cable size and length. Set the controller voltage at the battery terminals equal to what the battery manufacturer recommends.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote