Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #1

slidetopper awnings

I recently broke off the end cap bracket for my slide topper awning. (toll booth just jumped out at me!)

I was able to put it back on but am not sure how to get it to work again. Is there some sort of spring in it that i need to adjust. I can manually roll it up but would prefer to have it working the correct way.

Hopefully someone has a suggestion for me.

I could always take the thing completely off but will save that as a last resort.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Scott W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:34 AM   #2

Go to Carefree of Colorado website, they have schematics of all their different awnings. That's my best suggestion as I haven't torn into or tore them up yet.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Go to Carefree of Colorado website, they have schematics of all their different awnings. That's my best suggestion as I haven't torn into or tore them up yet.
"haven't torn into or tore them up yet" sound like you feel it's just a matter of time!

Bob
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:11 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
One side on most toppers have the spring tension adjustment. By the sounds of it this maybe the one you hit. If you have to roll it by hand.As above go on line to the manufactor and get the schematic for your your model # the parts you need may still be laying on the road. With any luck you may be able to get replacement parts
Old 04-20-2016, 04:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzby View Post
"haven't torn into or tore them up yet" sound like you feel it's just a matter of time!

Bob
Yea Bob, I will have to replace the fabric at some point, high winds have taken it's toll on them & will try it myself.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Yea Bob, I will have to replace the fabric at some point, high winds have taken it's toll on them & will try it myself.
Yeah...this is an upgrade that I have seriously considered doing. There are a lot of positives...but as you know, our Texas winds can wreak havoc on things. Many on the forum complain about the loud flapping in the wind (saw a nice MH lose a large slide topper...pulled the mounting hardware right out of the side of the unit).

Bob
Old 04-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzby View Post
Yeah...this is an upgrade that I have seriously considered doing. There are a lot of positives...but as you know, our Texas winds can wreak havoc on things. Many on the forum complain about the loud flapping in the wind (saw a nice MH lose a large slide topper...pulled the mounting hardware right out of the side of the unit).

Bob
The wind on the Oregon coast this winter was relentless ... I finally bought a 2" strap long enough to go over and down the the sides of the slide out, and put just enough tension on the awning to stop the flapping. Another unit had its awning ripped off by an 80 mph gust.
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:42 PM   #8

We've lost an awning before on a TT. It went completely over the roof a damaged the side of the trailer...about 3k dollars in damage! We closely watch the weather and take no chances when high winds are projected. I'm not sure how many folks experience damage from slide toppers...once on it seems your stuck unless you bring your slides in. Not very practical/convenient in all situations.

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Old 04-23-2016, 02:28 AM   #9
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
The wind on the Oregon coast this winter was relentless ... I finally bought a 2" strap long enough to go over and down the the sides of the slide out, and put just enough tension on the awning to stop the flapping. Another unit had its awning ripped off by an 80 mph gust.
2" strap I like that idea

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote