Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I don't have the slide toppers but.....but I'm agile enough to get up on the roof to sweep off the leaves. I like not having them because I always use the time on the roof to look for problems.

However, I'm VERY seriously looking at a diesel pusher that comes with the slide toppers so I guess I'll have to learn to adapt. On those late windy nights, I'll just pour a few extra fingers of "Jack" and turn up the TV.

Dave..........our slide toppers rarely make any noise, but, on the occasion when we do get some noise due to a storm, it just reminds me of the good old days when I used to tent camp with the family!! The tent was always making some noise even in the slightest of a breeze. The same was true even in our 35 years of pop-up camping in our Starcraft and Coleman pop-ups. Nostalgia is great, but, I love our Redwood. This winter, we have lived in our RW for nearly 5 months straight with only one very minor problem. I had to replace the dish drawer latch. We have had rain a few times but I think I have only had to raise the front of the coach, to drain the toppers, 3 or 4 times. I then re-level the coach. The entire process takes maybe 5 minutes.

I just don't consider the toppers an issue at all. If you get another RV with toppers, just make sure that they install them with the wall anchor point high enough to provide good drainage. Also, the roll up tension (I think the tension is adjustable) needs to be sufficient to prevent sagging and again to facilitate good drainage. Unfortunately, Redwood's installation on all of slides is too flat even though the two rear slides wall anchor point could have easily been raised 2 or 3 inches. The bedroom slide ceiling height would need to be reduced because the wall anchor point is already as high as it can go. Yes, I could devise something to put between the topper and the slide to provide drainage, but, I would have to store it and install it and it's just not worth the effort to me. JMHO.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #22

We had them on our Arctic Fox and because of the hassle, decided to forego the option with the RW. Best be very careful when specing the install.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #23

On our 2014 36FB, the bed room topper was quite loose - in big winds it would "WOOP" up and down - quite noisy and almost impossible to sleep with at night. So we just removed it - I have to walk the roof anyway since one slide doesn't have a topper - like Dave I take advantage of the situation to examine the roof.

-Barton

2014 36FB, 2012 F350 DRW,
Onan, Washer/Dryer, Dish Washer, Satellite Internet, Comfort Ride Hitch
Current location: Ozarks, MO
Marilyn H is offline   Reply With Quote