Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #1

Slide topper

Stored our Redwood Christmas week, picked it up Ja. 1st, followed storing instructions and I thought all was well. After picking up our home and driving less then 5 miles to RV park, setting up and opening slides, I noticed bedroom toper guide was pulled away from wall, far enough that I can see both screws pretty good. First screw pulled about 2 1/2 inches while second about half of that.
Has anyone experienced anything like that?, and is there anyone left at the company to talk too? Thank you, greatly appreciated.
John8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #2

Call the Crossroads Service Center and ask to speak with Ron or Randy at (260) 593-3850. Good luck! Vic
Old 01-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #3

X2

Have toppers but haven't experienced anything like that. Sorry for the problems you are having with them - hope it is resolved soon.
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbound View Post
X2

Have toppers but haven't experienced anything like that. Sorry for the problems you are having with them - hope it is resolved soon.
Ian - how do you find them in the wind, noisy? We are considering adding this option next year.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #5

Thank you guys, we also have sagging toppers, I made a tripod support from side to side, it helps with noise and rain collection. Good luck Ian.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #6

I had a similar issue with my awning arm. I was out washing it and I heard a "pop" and looked up to see where the arm had separated away from the wall pulling out two screws with it. I was a little disappointed to see they used sheet metal self drilling screws to attach the awning, which may save drilling a pilot hole, but are pretty useless in fiberglass. The screws were at an angle and too short to hit much of anything,

I was on business travel, so no time to mess with people, so I borrowed a ladder, and drilled some new holes and reattached it. Luckily I carry some spare stainless screws and lags (its a boat thing) and the Redwood sealant.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #7

I just helped a friend reinstall three slide toppers. This really a three person job. What I discovered is that you adjust the amount of tension on them. You have take them off to do so. Before you do, put a two inch cotter pin or nail in the hole in the roller on the left hand side. Then unscrew the two screws on the awning rail holding the awning. Next unscrew the left hand topper support bracket holding the awning roller so it doesn't unravel. Slide the awning to the left and put it on the ground - carefully so the cotter pin doesn't come out. Next, without removing the cotter pin, wrap one loop of fabric around the roller. Then reinstall them.

You'll need two eight foot ladders and someone on the roof to guide the topper into the rail.

Vic
Old 01-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #8

Thanks Atom Ant, how far apart from existing screws did you re-drilled new holes? How long screws did you use? Any help is appreciated! I'm surprised all the issues with our home, our Diplomat had no issues like that for seven years we had it, might of made a mistake swapping. Oh well, back on the ladder! Thanks Atom Ant.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
Ian - how do you find them in the wind, noisy? We are considering adding this option next year.
Our toppers are pretty taught (sp?)/tight so we haven't experienced any noise with them or concerns with the wind we had last summer - in which we had some pretty strong storms. Almost lost the awning once though - another story.

I can see that they do need regular maintenance though as they are exposed to so much sun. I use an off-brand armor-all product and it seems to be keeping the material like new-no cracking thus far.

Also, they should be cleaned off when putting slides in - pine needles, cones, branches etc..

Overall, we're glad we got them.
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John8545 View Post
Thanks Atom Ant, how far apart from existing screws did you re-drilled new holes? How long screws did you use? Any help is appreciated! I'm surprised all the issues with our home, our Diplomat had no issues like that for seven years we had it, might of made a mistake swapping. Oh well, back on the ladder! Thanks Atom Ant.
I went about an inch away and redrilled (on the awning arm it was an inch down from the orginal hole. My lags were about 1-1/2 long but that was all I had in stock. 1" would probably get through the rail, gel, and wood. I doubt most of those are intended to hit the aluminum studs. Redwood used screws that were about 3/4", but the 1/4" was drill bit, so not enough screw to get into the wood the time it got through the rail and gel. Just be sure to put sealant in and around the hole.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbound View Post

I can see that they do need regular maintenance though as they are exposed to so much sun. I use an off-brand armor-all product and it seems to be keeping the material like new-no cracking thus far.

Also, they should be cleaned off when putting slides in - pine needles, cones, branches etc..
Arg - I guess a couple of more reason I'm glad we didn't get them. I know each owner situation is different, but ours is still for vacations meaning it spends a large part of its life buttoned up inside. For us the less maintenance, the more recreation .
Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
Site Team

I like the looks of the slide toppers but I've seen too many problems with them. last summer while camping on a beach in Florida, the Tiffin parked next to me had his completely ripped off.

As long as I'm physically able, I'll continue getting on the roof with a broom. When I'm no longer able to do the job myself, I'll hire a scantily clothed French maid to ride around with us to help out. I figure it'll make us feel all warm and fuzzy knowing we'll be taking a French maid off the unemployment line and we won't have to worry about those silly slide toppers.

Planning ahead is a good thing
Old 01-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #13

hahaha - that's one way to get it done! Wonder if they do bugs on the front too.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:42 AM   #14
Site Team

My wife said it was ok with her as long as she cooks
Old 01-05-2014, 02:25 AM   #15

Oh that would never work for my wife - she is the cook period That's the reason we have a Redwood and not a Lance camper on the back of the truck. She is in heaven in a kitchen. She was sold on the pantry and dishwasher before I even started to look at the 6-pt leveling.

But I think she would sign off on the French Maid if she vacuumed, dusted, cleaned the bugs off the front, and cleared the slides.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:53 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Oh that would never work for my wife - she is the cook period That's the reason we have a Redwood and not a Lance camper on the back of the truck. She is in heaven in a kitchen. She was sold on the pantry and dishwasher before I even started to look at the 6-pt leveling.

But I think she would sign off on the French Maid if she vacuumed, dusted, cleaned the bugs off the front, and cleared the slides.

I'm sure we could make that happen......all we need are 10 others to agree with us because I'm sure the maids are cheaper by the dozen
Old 01-05-2014, 04:27 AM   #17

Thank you sir, will let you know outcome!