Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #1

Slide Seal Replacement

Hello RW owners, Has anyone had to replace a slide out seal? I have an issue with the main slide seal on the dinette side. A portion of the top bulb seal stuck to the slide out when opened, causing it to rip apart. I used duct tape to secure it while I figure out if I need to replace the seal, or if I can use some sort of rubber cement to repair it. So far it isn't leaking inside my rig. Any advise would be helpful. I've seen You Tube videos on how to replace it.
mfsmith57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #2

Not a tough job if it's the bulb seal, wiper is a bit more work.
It has a screw in the end, on top of the slide may be both ends, & then slides onto a plastic piece, slide it off, clean area, slide new seal on, replace the screws & viola done May need to cut a piece to take to the rv supply store as there are a couple different sizes & it's rather pricey per foot.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #3

A couple of years ago the bulb seal tore on the same side on my 2013 36RL. I had it replaced by a dealer; quite pricey. So I am also interested in your reply. I'm a bit confused, the bulb seal for all slides is mounted to the trailer not the slide. Also, I don't see any screws. Are they under the wiper?

My present persisting problem is that where the bulb seals are attached to the RV is cracking & leaving long gaps at the top of the seals. I have tried Dicor Lap Sealant several times, but it cracks again in a month or so. Is that caulk or glue or what? What should I use?

Thank you.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfsmith57 View Post
Hello RW owners, Has anyone had to replace a slide out seal? I have an issue with the main slide seal on the dinette side. A portion of the top bulb seal stuck to the slide out when opened, causing it to rip apart. I used duct tape to secure it while I figure out if I need to replace the seal, or if I can use some sort of rubber cement to repair it. So far it isn't leaking inside my rig. Any advise would be helpful. I've seen You Tube videos on how to replace it.
I can't help you with how to replace the seal, but have you been using a foaming rubber seal lubricant? I apply it to all seals after each washing & it seems to help prevent sticking.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlindy View Post
A couple of years ago the bulb seal tore on the same side on my 2013 36RL. I had it replaced by a dealer; quite pricey. So I am also interested in your reply. I'm a bit confused, the bulb seal for all slides is mounted to the trailer not the slide. Also, I don't see any screws. Are they under the wiper?

My present persisting problem is that where the bulb seals are attached to the RV is cracking & leaving long gaps at the top of the seals. I have tried Dicor Lap Sealant several times, but it cracks again in a month or so. Is that caulk or glue or what? What should I use?

Thank you.
The screw should in the bulb seal on one or both ends, stick your finger into the bulb as it may be up inside an inch or so. Once removed the seal should slide off the plastic track. The track has screws the full length so if your having gaps I'd guess the screws are broken off, if so I'd remove the track, clean both surfaces, add some type of sealant under it, probably butyl putty tape & replace all the broken screws. I think there's a specific caulking that seals the outer edges of the seal, but can't recall what it's called.
A fellow RWer here was replacing the bulb seal above their dining slide, but apparently the original owner didn't know how to replace it correctly & glued the seal over the track rather than sliding it on, made a relatively simple job into a big mess getting all of whatever they used as glue cleaned off.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote