Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #1

Slide Outs stick Out - A Problem?

We just saw our new 2014 and a half 36RL for the first time yesterday and we were concerned that the slide outs aren't flush with the sides of the coach as with our previous 5th wheel. The dealer representative told us that flush mounted slides were indicative of higher end 5th wheels, which suggests that ours isn't one of those. It seems that wind resistance in transit might be a factor as will rain, etc. over time. We would appreciate your collective feedback. We ordered our coach after seeing it at the Hershey Show in September and it never occurred to us to ask them to retract the slides so we could make sure they were flush.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #2

The slides are not completely flush when retraced. They stick out about an inch due to the rubber gaskets. Not to worry. However, I'd be concerned about your dealer telling you they were for indicative of higher end 5'ERS. They are feeding you a bunch of bull. Look for another RV dealership for your warranty work. Vic
Old 01-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #3

Welcome and all my 5ers slides stuck out somewhat --- otherwise it's indicative of not enough gasket between the slide and the rv
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
Site Team

When I was looking at the Foretravel Motor homes they had flush slide outs along with a BIG price tag. It's amazing what $850k will buy.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:01 AM   #5

If you look at how they operate, they actually couldn't seal flush. The hydraulic slides have a surface seal on exterior that the slide flange compresses onto, and it can't compress it flush. Water rolls right off the seal and down the side.

The schwintek at the bedroom is a bit different. Mine sticks out a little further than the hydraulic slides because they changed the seal design somewhat to allow for the motors to be accessed on the inside instead of through the outside trim. That one you have to be careful it closes all the way (at least to where the seal compresses) because they will stop short with a low battery or if they get sticky.

We looked at a Cardinal years ago that had a flush slide, but the seals were all exposed. I would not consider the Cardinal top end, so I would agree with Vic.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote