Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2016, 01:06 AM   #1

Slide in slide

Went to bring in the slide-in-a-slide this afternoon and started having problems. It started hanging up on the right hand side (if you were standing at the foot of the bed looking at the head board.) As soon as the right hand motor would stop you could bump the switch to extend it and then retract it again and it would come in about 4-6inches, then stop again. We repeated these steps to get the slide retracted all the way. I tried helping pull the slide in by hand while my wife pushed the button, no luck. But it seemed to be free of it binding up, I'm thinking it's more of a motor issue.

The camper is a 2016 38RD.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

You may be correct in that it is a motor issue,
but things to consider:
were you on an uneven surface when you moved the slide in or out? (have seen slides 'shift' when uneven)
when is the last time you cleaned/lubed the channels, etc ? (have seen 'things' in the channels that would bind the slide)
and what did you use ? (I liked 303 lube in that it would not attract dirt like some lubes)

IMHO, that is the most important aspect for the schwintek slides I had on my exposed bedroom slides...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #3

Also, always make sure you keep the slide switch pressed for 3-5 seconds after the slide stops, whether extending or retracting. Keeping the slide switch depressed keeps the motors synchronized.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:17 AM   #4

The trailer was level before bring in the slide and the tracks are clean but I did not lube them lately. I will try and reset the motor also. Will update this weekend when we have to move from the back of the RV park to the front so they can winterize the back part of the park.

Thanks for giving your thoughts on the issue.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:37 AM   #5

Besides the lubing of the tracks and motors/gears of the schwintek mechanisms, you might want to use furniture polish on the wiper seals of these troubled slides also. We were at the Crossroads service center after this last Rally and Randy and crew recommend using a spray furniture polish on the rubber seals. They tend to grab and slow the movement of the slides. Sprayed on kind of heavy and wiped with a rag or cloth to spread it around. We used lemon scented and it smelled nice afterwards too.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #6

Some have reported that the seals no longer "flipped" after reducing the friction. That would be a worse problem.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugSplatter07 View Post
Went to bring in the slide-in-a-slide this afternoon and started having problems. It started hanging up on the right hand side (if you were standing at the foot of the bed looking at the head board.) As soon as the right hand motor would stop you could bump the switch to extend it and then retract it again and it would come in about 4-6inches, then stop again. We repeated these steps to get the slide retracted all the way. I tried helping pull the slide in by hand while my wife pushed the button, no luck. But it seemed to be free of it binding up, I'm thinking it's more of a motor issue.

The camper is a 2016 38RD.
That is exactly how my Front Living Room slide started acting. It wound up being a broken wire on the motor on the opposite side that was stalling.
The sensor was not counting motor revolution's and the other side would stop because it thought it was way out of timing.
Replaced the Motor, all is good now.
Have moved about 5 times since I replaced the motor and the slide has worked perfect.
I now have a spare motor, so I will never have another motor issues
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote