Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2016, 09:58 PM   #1

Slam Latch

Our 2017 31sl has slam latches on both propane compartment doors that do not lock. Wondering, 1. Why didn't Redwood put on locking laches (I probably know), and 2. Where can I buy some and would there be any special tools, tricks, or magic to changing them out?
Old 08-31-2016, 10:11 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
They are not locked so as to get quick access to shut them off in an emergency. You could call Tiara Rv or even Lippert to get lockable latches. I believe they are pop riveted on. Not near the trailer to check
Old 08-31-2016, 10:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbetravlin View Post
Our 2017 31sl has slam latches on both propane compartment doors that do not lock. Wondering, 1. Why didn't Redwood put on locking laches (I probably know), and 2. Where can I buy some and would there be any special tools, tricks, or magic to changing them out?
Do you not have the straps inside the compartment that hold the tank in place? They have a slot to place a lock on them if you are worried about someone stealing your tanks. Simple enough fix.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:26 PM   #4

I believe all state fire codes require all compartments that contain more than 1 pound of propane be accessible to Fire personnel for shut off and removal. Our RVs are rolling 80# IEDs that is enough to remove all the windows for many blocks in every direction. Please don't lock those compartments. As much as a pain in the @$$ it would be if they were stolen,it is still cheaper than hurting the very responders coming to you aid.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:14 PM   #5

What is the reason for locking them??
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
What is the reason for locking them??
My 31SL is in a storage facility with many boats, Rvs, trucks, cars,etc. I'm not up there everyday to check things. I prefer to have the tanks locked, if nothing more than to deter someone.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:41 AM   #7

Here's the official NFPA code 58 PDF, pg 48, paragraph e, point 1. You can search the document for "Lock" and find more guidelines.

Quote:
(e) Appliances installed within vehicles shall comply with
the following:
1. If in the cargo space, they shall be readily accessible
whether the vehicle is loaded or empty.

2. Appliances shall be constructed or otherwise protected to
minimize possible damage or impaired operation due to
cargo shifting or handling.
3. Appliances shall be located so that a fire at any appliance
will not block egress of persons from the vehicle.
(f) Provision shall be made in all appliance installations
for a supply of outside air for complete combustion.
(g) A permanent caution plate shall be provided, affixed
to either the appliance or the vehicle outside of any enclosure
and adjacent to the container(s), and shall include the following
items:
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:14 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I would much rather have them stolen than the fire dept be unable to shut them off or remove them. Which would result in total loss of the rig and all surrounding ones.the 40 lbs can be expensive and if worried take them out and keep them at home while the rig is in storage. The problem then is where do stop,stereo , tvs or anything else of value.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:11 AM   #9

Have a padlock on the latch strap of each tank. Probably more of a deterent than a locked compartment door which can be pried open with a screwdriver.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #10

NFPA 58 applies, and so does the one below - more specific to RVs

NFPA 1192, Recreational Vehicles:

5.2.6 Ventilation of Compartments Containing Propane Containers.

5.2.6.1 Compartments shall be ventilated at or near the topand at the extreme bottom to facilitate diffusion of vapors.

5.2.6.2 The compartment shall be ventilated with at least two vents, each having an aggregate free area equal to at least0.5 in.2 (323 mm2) for each 7 lb (102 mm2/kg) of the total propane fuel capacity of the maximum number of the largest cylinders the compartment can hold.

5.2.6.3 If the lower vent is located in the access door or wall, the bottom edge of the vent shall be flush with the floor level of the compartment.

5.2.6.4 The top vent shall be located in the access door or wall, with the bottom of the vent within 12 in. (305 mm) of the ceiling of the compartment.

5.2.6.5 Vents shall have an unrestricted discharge to the outside atmosphere.

5.2.6.6 Doors or panels providing access to valves shall not be equipped with locks or require special tools to open.
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #11

Based on what everyone has stated as requirements, a lock on the tank strap shouldn't be a problem. There is still access to the shutoff valves. As far as being able to remove the tanks in an emergency, it would probably be quicker for the fire department to cut that cheap lock than the time it would take for them to unscrew the various types of holddown brackets on most RV's, and this doesn't even address the issue with how to remove a propane tank on a motorhome.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #12

There isn't any code requirement for the fire department to be able to remove them, just access the valves.

With that, I see a lot of cabinets get locked and I guess I don't blame them if they are having issues with tanks being stolen.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote