Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #1

Skirting

Were getting ready to winter in Colorado if I skirt the camper with treated plywood would it be worth the money to attach a sheet of 2" Styrofoam on the inside to help with the insulating properties?
jhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Traveling

I would certainly be interested in a general discussion about "skirting". We will be wintering in SW Washington State and it can get pretty cold and nasty sometimes. Does skirting actually help that much? What are some ideas for skirting that don't look like "Sanford and Sons"? I just cannot stand how tacky some skirting looks on rigs. I have seen the canvas kits that people have-wonder where they get those and are they worthwhile?? It seems like adding the foam would be ineffective since (I suspect) the value of the skirting isn't for insulation per se, but to halt air movement. Perhaps I am mistaken. Just my opinion :-)
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #3

I checked into the canvas skirting and it would be nice just about $2K to do ours. Since we live in the country I decided to do the plywood and I can store it in our shed through summer. I think stopping the wind and snow from blowing under the camper it will work great. Just want to know if I needed to install the foam.
jhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #4

Oregonbound actually did a comprehensive study on skirting - hopefully he will chime in!

Also, I saw a U-tube of a guy fabricating skirting on a black and burgundy Redwood, maybe it was somebody here.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Oregonbound actually did a comprehensive study on skirting - hopefully he will chime in!

Also, I saw a U-tube of a guy fabricating skirting on a black and burgundy Redwood, maybe it was somebody here.
The guy who made that skirting is on the Front Range there in CO. Its pretty sweet but as others have mentioned it's around $2k. He also can make one for just under the bedroom area for about $600 that can essentially enclose that for storage etc, I considered that earlier this year.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:29 PM   #6

If you don't mind it not looking so good, a lot of work campers here buy the inch thick blue or pink insulation stuff from Lowes. It seems to work pretty good, given that the furnace keeps the underbelly warm enough to stop freezing, and the skirting just helps keep it warmer because of wind blockage.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
If you don't mind it not looking so good, a lot of work campers here buy the inch thick blue or pink insulation stuff from Lowes. It seems to work pretty good, given that the furnace keeps the underbelly warm enough to stop freezing, and the skirting just helps keep it warmer because of wind blockage.
That "might" be our solution if it gets really cold as well. I just won't allow anyone to take pictures of it and post them! Makes the beautiful Redwood look like something it's not...
Old 10-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
Traveling

I know Todd and I were talking about how cool it would be if they actually designed some sort of retractable skirting that was mounted to the unit. I have no idea how they could fab it, but it would be very useful... and it would look good too. It could come down and cover the tires/wheels, everything, made of something like awning material or heavier that matches the coach. That way it has flexibility and portability. When these units are being used in colder climates, it IS something that people would pay for. Maybe I should invent this... hmmmm
Old 10-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
lwg

I suspect that many RV's just put the pad heaters under the tanks instead. I know the Elevation Toyhauler that Crossroads makes has this option. They appear to be more or less the toyhauler version of the Redwood as the interior looks like it was designed using the same stock as the Redwood.

Also there are quite a few RV's that are "supposedly" tested down to 0*. It would be nice to have that cert on a unit and just not worry about it!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #10

I have spent a few cold winters in the 5th wheels, and have never put anything under, or around my RV. I spent a terribly cold winter 2 years ago, close to Pittsburg, and only used a heated water hose, and permanent sewer pipe setup. Never a problem, other than being somewhat drafty. This year, I think I will put the insulation I spoke of around, just to have a warmer floor, and no draft from underneath.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
I know Todd and I were talking about how cool it would be if they actually designed some sort of retractable skirting that was mounted to the unit. I have no idea how they could fab it, but it would be very useful... and it would look good too. It could come down and cover the tires/wheels, everything, made of something like awning material or heavier that matches the coach. That way it has flexibility and portability. When these units are being used in colder climates, it IS something that people would pay for. Maybe I should invent this... hmmmm
I like it! Could even be steel roll shutter type!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:20 AM   #12
Traveling

Thanks AA. I could easily visualize a mechanism mounted under the edges of the coach on all four sides, even under the bedroom area too... and they could extend just like our awnings do, and then somehow anchor to the ground or be weighted, or perhaps, like the awnings, simply have a rail. I think it has possibilities. Then you could fasten the open corners together via some sort of zipper or something. Still think it would work. It would also keep the sun off of the tires and provide storage for bikes or BBQ's under the front end. :-) I think I will cry when I see somebody else invent it.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #13

And maybe cry when you have to go to XYZ rated tires for the extra weight you will carry
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #14

Hey - them Westlakes can handle it John!

Sorry for the delay Todd, I was over at the Patent Office.....
Old 10-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
Traveling

Hahahaha AA, you are a RIOT you are!