Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #1

Shower Clog Start To Finish

We have been full time living for the past three years in our 2016 Redwood 38RL and most recently experienced a very slow draining shower. We have been very careful to use a regularly clean a rubber strainer to prevent hair clogs, See pictures. I decided to first attempt correction of the stoppage by using an old fashioned rubber plunger. Some "gunk" did surface during the use of the plunger action and the water immediately began draining freely. Two weeks later the drain again began to drain very slowly so this time I really got after the drain with the plunger. But this time the water stopped draining totally. I inspected the drain from the top looking down and could see what appeared to be a white rubber tube like "debris" in the pipe. I called my local Camping World asking about a special tool to remove the shower drain grate from the top shower side of the drain. Camping World replied that they did not sell a special grate removal tool but it was not needed because all required access can be made from the bottom of the shower through the bottom storage compartment.

I removed the storage compartment partition and crawled in and disconnected the shower and visually inspected the drain pipe and the attached picture clearly shows the "debris" that I was seeing from the top side. I immediately thought this can't be debris left over during construction as the drain worked as advertised for over three years. The also noticed that the drain pipe was not a continuous run of black plastic pipe but rather a white tube which definitely had a special purpose. I did a google search and was quick to identify the strange inline pipe which contained the "debris". In place of a typical P-Trap Redwood had installed a waterless trap system called a Hepvo Shower Valve, see picture, which eliminates gray tank/sewer line odors and unwanted critters from moving up into the shower compartment. I then surmised that use of my plunger's suction action reversed the designed direction of the diaphragm thus clogging the drain.

I then re-inspected my Hepvo Shower Valve and was able to simply push the "debris" (inner rubber diaphragm) back into the tube and reconnect to the shower drain pipe. Now All is Well. If this problem reoccurs I will simply purchase and replace the Hepvo Shower Valve with a new one.

I thought this simple story from start to finish might save someone some headaches and expensive repair cost.

Thank You,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2467.jpg (126.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2468.jpg (109.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2463.jpg (181.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2466.jpeg (45.6 KB, 33 views)
DaveBean58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:32 PM   #2

If you look a little further you will find you have another Hepvo valve under the bathroom sink and the kitchen sink. On our RW the kitchen one is actually behind our spice drawer rather than directly under the sink.
These Hepvo valves have been used in RV's for years to save space that is normally required for a typical P or S Trap.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #3

Thank You, most certainly a tidbit of valuable information saving us frustration and time.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBean58 View Post
We have been full time living for the past three years in our 2016 Redwood 38RL and most recently experienced a very slow draining shower. We have been very careful to use a regularly clean a rubber strainer to prevent hair clogs, See pictures. I decided to first attempt correction of the stoppage by using an old fashioned rubber plunger. Some "gunk" did surface during the use of the plunger action and the water immediately began draining freely. Two weeks later the drain again began to drain very slowly so this time I really got after the drain with the plunger. But this time the water stopped draining totally. I inspected the drain from the top looking down and could see what appeared to be a white rubber tube like "debris" in the pipe. I called my local Camping World asking about a special tool to remove the shower drain grate from the top shower side of the drain. Camping World replied that they did not sell a special grate removal tool but it was not needed because all required access can be made from the bottom of the shower through the bottom storage compartment.

I removed the storage compartment partition and crawled in and disconnected the shower and visually inspected the drain pipe and the attached picture clearly shows the "debris" that I was seeing from the top side. I immediately thought this can't be debris left over during construction as the drain worked as advertised for over three years. The also noticed that the drain pipe was not a continuous run of black plastic pipe but rather a white tube which definitely had a special purpose. I did a google search and was quick to identify the strange inline pipe which contained the "debris". In place of a typical P-Trap Redwood had installed a waterless trap system called a Hepvo Shower Valve, see picture, which eliminates gray tank/sewer line odors and unwanted critters from moving up into the shower compartment. I then surmised that use of my plunger's suction action reversed the designed direction of the diaphragm thus clogging the drain.

I then re-inspected my Hepvo Shower Valve and was able to simply push the "debris" (inner rubber diaphragm) back into the tube and reconnect to the shower drain pipe. Now All is Well. If this problem reoccurs I will simply purchase and replace the Hepvo Shower Valve with a new one.

I thought this simple story from start to finish might save someone some headaches and expensive repair cost.

Thank You,
Dave
I suspect your vigorous use of the plunger the second time inverted the Hepvo rubber sleeve.
If you particular model RW is like mine was you have the same Hepvo device on the kitchen sink also.
You may want to pick up a spare to have on hand just cause.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #5

excellent point, I will pickup a spare for sure. Just like keeping a spare furnace computer card/igniter on-hand.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:10 PM   #6

I have a 2013 31SL and the kitchen, vanity, and shower all have "p" traps. I wonder if only certain models have your system or if they changed during a certain model year.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:12 PM   #7

Our 2017 31SL has p traps everywhere except the shower. No rhyme or reason I guess.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:02 PM   #8

Shower Clog Start To Finish

we used vinegar and baking soda. Works like a charm!
of course, remove the drain cover, using needle nose pliers, get out the hair and other junk. I do clean the glass doors and the walls with Lime-Away on a regular basis.
4 Steps to Unclog Your Drain with Baking Soda & Vinegar
Start by pouring a pot of boiling water down the drain.
Next, pour a cup of baking soda and 1 cup water/1 cup vinegar solution.
Cover with the drain plug and wait 5 to 10 minutes.
Pour boiling water down the drain again.
brenda.taylor59@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:08 PM   #9

Dave great read and information. Looks like the drain insert you put in in replacement of the factory screen might have damaged the valve, is that what you found?
Old 05-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #10

Further Explaination

Vance,

No the factory shower screen was never removed. The hair screen drain insert (brand name: "Shower Shroom" our by far favorite) does not reach the hepvo valve diaphrapm but rather only reduces the amount of hair going down our drain and clogging after three years of full time living. When the drain became clogged, not knowing of the hepvo valve I used a plastic declogging tool with barbs which damaged the hepvo seal. The subsequent aggressive use of the plunger reversed the valve which totally clogged the drain and the reason you see the diaphrapm in the bottom of the drain prior the 90 degree turn into the hepvo seal. During normal operation the hepvo valve is at least six inches below the shower hair screen. The damage hepvo photo makes in appear closer to the hair filter or screen.
Sewer gas was additional evidence that the seal was damaged.
Lesson learned: keep a spare valve to replace any older clogged valve.

Photos Attached pictures 1) shows the installed new hepvo valve (don't forget to connect the support zip tie) 2)new hepvo valve diaphragm shown from discharge end of valve, 3) a poor photo showing the plastic shroom rubber screen removed and the factory screen still in place and the damaged hepvo valve now in view due to effect of the plunger (now Reversed).

Thank Again Vance,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2726.jpg (227.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2724.jpg (92.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2420.jpg (165.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-24-2020, 05:35 PM   #11

I see, i just ordered the drain hair catcher. Thanks
Old 05-24-2020, 10:54 PM   #12

We just use the el-cheapo screens that you buy at the Flea Markets, pack of three different sizes, vanity, shower, & kitchen sink, cleaning the shower one after our showers.
We're two Female "Most Timers" living in the RW 9 to 10 months for the past 5 years and have yet to have a clogged drain.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 01:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
I suspect your vigorous use of the plunger the second time inverted the Hepvo rubber sleeve.
If you particular model RW is like mine was you have the same Hepvo device on the kitchen sink also.
You may want to pick up a spare to have on hand just cause.
This was me... I plunged my slow kitchen drain... and caused it to be a " not draining at all " drain. Didn't learn what you just explained until I took apart the pipes as a last resort. Now Ive managed to break a seal. Bought a replacement today, but trying to remember where exactly it came off of..

Wish there was a schematic of all the pipes available.

Trish
PureTNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:38 PM   #14

Like Michelle, we use a 3 pack of various sizes that we found at the local dollar store..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote