Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMParton View Post
I'm glad that many of you have had a good experience with your Redwoods, ,but I have to say ours was built either on Monday morning or Friday afternoon. I cannot even begin to detail all of the stuff that was wrong at delivery or went wrong shortly after. We've had our 38RL about 7 months and it has spent 3 months of that time at the dealer being repaired, waiting for warranty repair authorization from Crossroads,waiting for parts or being repaired. We've had a total brake system failure, low voltage electrical issues with multiple attempts to fix (not fixed yet), AC system not put together properly, heater ducts not connected, awning missing parts and not wired properly, get the idea? If you want to buy one, don't buy it in Texas. The only authorized dealer is ExploreUSA and their service is terrible.
Yeah I can agree with you on that. Mine was probably right behind yours in production and finally getting it back home on Monday from it being fixed by redwood in Indiana since our only pos dealership here is Exploreusa as well for us. But when I put it thru the test I'll keep my fingers crossed the darn thing is finally fixed
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #62

So far, I would buy a RW again. It's early, but it seems Crossroads has stepped up to the plate with my 36rl. We love it.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #63

Right now if I were to do it again I would drive as fast as I can away from Exploreusa in tx and order one custom our way. If this one still has problems the mrs. Will take it back and trade it in on a sob instead. She is fed up to the max. But I am feeling better since redwood looked it over. Not all got fixed but I gues document it with video next time because photos don't help all the time
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:08 AM   #64

More info DLR

How long did it take for redwood to step up ?
Did they pay for the transportation to the factory ?
How long did they keep it ?
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:38 AM   #65

I purchased mine in May, and exploaderusa kept it till end of June with redwood kept in the loop with issues. After Acs going out on delivery pickup day. Exploaderusa kept it till August and fixed 0 of the 23 punch list items with redwood aka Jim lazzorino being involved. So we used our trailer for one month now and the punch list of issues grew over 60 plus items. Crossroads called per Jim lazzorino and wanted it back after our vacation to start work. Transportation was paid for and I gave them a month to fix I would've gave them longer but I figured half of my first year warranty is now over with and 5 months of the six has been used up for it being in the shop. Just about every issue was resolved but others were not because I don't think they actually gave it enough time for it to show its face to them. Jim lazzorino was involved with this most of the time and mike antal was my eyes and ears from crossroads who kept me in the loop as progress progressed
Old 10-12-2014, 01:40 AM   #66

I as well had leveling issues that boggled the mind and all they did was re calibrate it saying that will fix it. That's the only major issue I can't see as a proper fix
Old 10-12-2014, 02:35 AM   #67

I was ready to by a lifestyle RV about six months ago. Heard all the hype that they hired all the Cameo RV people and that their product was far superior to others. I then went to the forums and found out they had horrible quality issue including PVC plumbing that was NEVER glued causing major leaking and damage to the units. They did their best to cover it up and the CEO of the company decided he was to busy to return emails. Now on to Redwood. Are they perfect. No. But do they admit their problems and fix them I would say yes. Most people on this forum have had problems but at least 80 to 85% would buy another Redwood. That is the reason that my wife and I decided Redwood was the one we wanted to buy from.
Redwood 36FB (still looking for the right one)

wileysantafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:57 AM   #68

It is a shame, as the RV Industry rebounds and production numbers go up, quality goes down.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:31 AM   #69
Site Team

I keep an eye on ALL types of 5th wheels as well as a good share of the Motor homes. So far I haven't found another brand worthy of my time or money. There are several companies fighting for the "top of the heap... full time" spot. I'm optimistic that this is going to lead to some great changes and better QC just as it has in the trucks.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #70

Dave,

I agree for as sales go up more brands are entering the market. Good example is Cypress and Sequoia (off springs from Redwood). The only way Thor can pay for these new lines is with more market share and that means better quality, lower prices or both. Now the other issue is the economy. I am not sure that we will not see some economic issues in the next couple of years. That could set the whole RV industry back to 2009 and many of these RV manufacturers that have just recovered from the last recession could get killed.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileysantafe View Post
Dave,

I agree for as sales go up more brands are entering the market. Good example is Cypress and Sequoia (off springs from Redwood). The only way Thor can pay for these new lines is with more market share and that means better quality, lower prices or both. Now the other issue is the economy. I am not sure that we will not see some economic issues in the next couple of years. That could set the whole RV industry back to 2009 and many of these RV manufacturers that have just recovered from the last recession could get killed.

Fred...I think you could be right. I just read that the RV world could be coming to another narrow bridge. That was one reason I decided to go with Redwood to begin with. They have a big enough company backing them that I believe they can weather the next storm.

In the past 8 years we've lost some good player like ....Teton, Carriage, Travel Supreme and Holiday Rambler, just to name a few. These were all good units but didn't have the CASH to stay afloat through the storm. Cash reserves are what keeps a company going and what most businesses struggle with.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #72

I totally agree for Thor is very well financed and I like that they give each division (like Crossroads and Redwood) the freedom to build a better product instead of a cheaper product. There not out just to make money, they want to be the best in each of the RV categories and I believe they currently own that position with Residential Fifth Wheels.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileysantafe View Post
I was ready to by a lifestyle RV about six months ago. Heard all the hype that they hired all the Cameo RV people and that their product was far superior to others. I then went to the forums and found out they had horrible quality issue including PVC plumbing that was NEVER glued causing major leaking and damage to the units. They did their best to cover it up and the CEO of the company decided he was to busy to return emails. Now on to Redwood. Are they perfect. No. But do they admit their problems and fix them I would say yes. Most people on this forum have had problems but at least 80 to 85% would buy another Redwood. That is the reason that my wife and I decided Redwood was the one we wanted to buy from.
I think very few people have had the problems that several of us have faced and I can honestly say if I knew then what I know now, I would NOT buy the Redwood. We went to EUSA to buy a DRV and they didn't have one we wanted. They did not tell us we could order one custom built, so we let them talk us into buying the Redwood because it is, allegedly, a residential grade unit. Barleycorn! Even if Crossraods steps up and offers to fix whatever shows up once we go full time, what do we do? Check into a Motel 6 while they keep our coach for a month?
RobertMParton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #74

Quote:
I think very few people have had the problems that several of us have faced and I can honestly say if I knew then what I know now, I would NOT buy the Redwood. We went to EUSA to buy a DRV and they didn't have one we wanted. They did not tell us we could order one custom built, so we let them talk us into buying the Redwood because it is, allegedly, a residential grade unit. Barleycorn! Even if Crossraods steps up and offers to fix whatever shows up once we go full time, what do we do? Check into a Motel 6 while they keep our coach for a month?
If you review all RV manufacturer forums you will find all of them have quality control issues, even DRV, as we have met and chatted to a number of Mobile Suite owners and their experience is no different to that of some Redwoods.

The real difference is how the manufacturer stands up to their warranty and the service provided by the dealer. Is our coach a lemon - most definitely no, but we have had a number of issues. Have Redwood addressed the issues - most definitely yes.

Our dealer is also excellent, no many months wait for an appointment or for repairs. Our current 1 to 2 day delay in getting into the actual shop is our longest wait ever and is acceptable since we dropped it off at Noon on Friday. It usually goes into the shop the day I drop it off. If we were full time they would also make an area available where we could live in the coach.

Basically all manufacturers have similar quality issues, so research how they respond to warranty and research dealer after service thoroughly.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #75
Traveling

Our dealer's service bays were FULL when we went for service: Tiffins and Tabs, all of them. They were busy, the lot manager was shuffling RV's like crazy as the bays would clear, another one was moved in. I don't think there is an RV made that is free of QC issues. I agree with Andy and Judi, it's all about how they are handled. So far, our experience with RW has been EXCELLENT both in warranty and responsiveness.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #76

Quote:
When we picked ours up at EUSA, they had a beautiful DRV they showed us that had been in the shop for over a month, and that thing was in pieces. I don't think the extra money paid for a DRV gets you a free pass on problems.

They weren't trying to sell us, because we already bought our Redwood, but he was showing me the DRV electric lift on the oven that lifted the quartz top because I was complaining how heavy the quartz tops were (we didn't get them), and of course showing me the electric toilet, etc. Now tell me that thing isn't just a service order waiting to happen!

Don't get me wrong, the DRV are nice units and may have one someday, but not because I think they will be less repair than the one I have.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #77
Site Team

That was well said Andy.......

There are always issues regardless of the brand that you buy, when it comes to rvs. I think some of this is the way that they're built and the shaking that takes place while traveling down the road. All the years we've been hanging around the campgrounds, we have yet to find the perfect manufacture.

I've talked with a guy that travels around working with the utility companies. He pulls an older Newmar with dual wheels, that he said is wonderful......however at the same campground is a guy that had one just like it several years ago and he said he couldn't sell it fast enough. Why the difference?

I bought in 1979, a 23 ft Wilderness that turned out to be trouble free. But that trailer was VERY simple without all the comforts of home. By today's standards it was a box on wheels. Today the RVs are required to all the comforts of home but not weigh much. Yet the roads are worse than they've ever been and these RVs are rolling earthquakes.

I've pulled my Redwood in all weather conditions throughout the country and have had very little issues. I would definitely buy another Redwood. I don't work with the dealer I bought from and do most of the repairs myself. The company has always been fair with me.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #78

We purchased our Redwood 38RL in June of this year and like several of you we have had some problems. We are not full time, we spend about 9 months out of the year on the road. From The middle of July to Sept 1st we covered just under 7000 miles with our new RV. With that said there are no dealers in our area and the one we purchased the unit from is in the south. When we had a problem with our unit Crossroads would ship parts to me that I could replace and when we had other problems we made an appointment at the factory and they fixed everything in one day. We have had RVs for years and the all have problems it is the service after the sale that maters to me and Redwood is far above every one else we have had to deal with.

The best advice I could give is Buy the Redwood they are great, Expect some problems and schedule time to get it repaired We love ours and when the time comes to buy again we will buy another.
Marketing Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #79

As stated,
I agree the current crop of EVERYTHING is lacking for a few reasons...

Year's ago I had many rv's that were no problems at all - and it wasn't because of simplicity... Had some fancy in them as well

I think the current problem is work ethic and quality control...
When most off the rv mfgs had issues they had to let many workers go... the good ones found other employment and didn't go back ...

Also, the baby boomers are buying rv's right and left and they can't make them fast enough!
they sell everything they make and leave it to the dealers to fight with repairs...
(thus the dealers are swamped and you have the 6 week to 2 month waits)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #80

My father once told me about RV's. "If you are not prepared to pay a couple hundred dollars for repairs every time you take the unit out you will be un-happy".

Repairs that need attention at the time of purchase is a different issue and like many have said, your servicing dealer is the first in line. If the dealer does not have experienced technicians and service managers and writers you will have a difficult time with warranty repairs and service issues.

Before I take my unit in I send a e-mail list to service writer at the dealer and at the same time I request an appointment.
Sometimes the writer will e-mail back questions concerning list so they are prepared when I bring the coach it.

When I arrive for the appointment I also include the list along with photos of the required issues. I have found that handling in this manner your coach will have the least amount of time at the dealer and all of the issues normally get resolved the first time.

I have had turn around times in as little as one day.