Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Site Team

Short Circuit !!

Ok Guys and Gals, if you haven't yet gotten a plug in outlet circuit tester, run down to Walmart or Home Depot and get one. They're about $7.00. Little plugin thing with three lights on it.

I've been meaning to check all my outlets, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Tracy was cooking last night and while using the skillet the island outlets went dead. They are controlled by the GFCI in the bathroom (I knew that). I figured no big deal, probably overloaded circuit as it was hot and we had airs, fans, etc on. Outlet wouldn't reset and we thought there was a whiff of smoke. Shut breaker off and figured I'd deal with it today. Also figured it was probably a weak outlet so picked up another one at Lowes while we were running errands.

When I pulled the outlet out of box, I couldn't believe what I found. Let's just say we almost had a fire. I've taken a picture before I unhooked the outlet and hopefully Brad can post for me as I haven't figured out how to from the iPad yet.

Whoever wired outlet at factory crossed the hot and neutral. Outlet is totally fried but fortunately did what it was supposed to and tripped so that it went dead.

Highly suggest all check your outlets.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Site Team

This picture was forwarded to my by Vaughan "Piper Guy". Although it's an easy mistake to cross the wires, it's certainly one that should be looked at. Both of those white wires should have been on the same side of the plug (neutral)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg electrical problem.jpg (113.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #3

Surprised that the GFCI held originally. The neutral connects the ground at the service. The ground wire is basically a safety if you lose the neutral and for some reason the power touches the metal framing the breaker should trip. In this case the GFCI tests the differential between the two and if there is a difference of 5 milliamp's or more it should trip. It thinks the differential is going through you and not the appliance. The current UL listed GFCI devices are supposed to check when they are first hooked up for correct polarity and lock out if the polarity is not correct. I would think you may have other issues as well.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
Site Team

All outlets check good now with both a multimeter and a circuit tester (plug in type).
Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Ok Guys and Gals, if you haven't yet gotten a plug in outlet circuit tester, run down to Walmart or Home Depot and get one. They're about $7.00. Little plugin thing with three lights on it.

I've been meaning to check all my outlets, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Tracy was cooking last night and while using the skillet the island outlets went dead. They are controlled by the GFCI in the bathroom (I knew that). I figured no big deal, probably overloaded circuit as it was hot and we had airs, fans, etc on. Outlet wouldn't reset and we thought there was a whiff of smoke. Shut breaker off and figured I'd deal with it today. Also figured it was probably a weak outlet so picked up another one at Lowes while we were running errands.

When I pulled the outlet out of box, I couldn't believe what I found. Let's just say we almost had a fire. I've taken a picture before I unhooked the outlet and hopefully Brad can post for me as I haven't figured out how to from the iPad yet.

Whoever wired outlet at factory crossed the hot and neutral. Outlet is totally fried but fortunately did what it was supposed to and tripped so that it went dead.

Highly suggest all check your outlets.
Vaughn,

Something does not make sense here with what I see in your picture of the GFCI outlet. With the neutral and hot sides of the power source are connect as shown, I would think that a main and/or branch circuit breaker should have been tripping long ago. It looks to me like you had a dead short condition with the that GFCI outlet wired that way.

I haven't had any issues with my GFCI outlet in the 3 years we have owned our 36RL, but I will be checking it to get a better understanding of the device. I am a retired electrical/electronics engineer and now you have my curiosity aroused.

Thanks for having Dave post the picture of that outlet.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:36 AM   #6

Is it wired into the GFI cicuit or just labeled that it is GFI ? We have outlets that are not labeled as GFI that go dead when the GFI is tripped, and our island outlets are labeled GFI but from all indications they ARE NOT. Maybe yours is the same. Not real sure the people that are wiring these rigs have a clue as this is not the only screw up we have seen.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:55 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel chaser View Post
Is it wired into the GFI cicuit or just labeled that it is GFI ? We have outlets that are not labeled as GFI that go dead when the GFI is tripped, and our island outlets are labeled GFI but from all indications they ARE NOT. Maybe yours is the same. Not real sure the people that are wiring these rigs have a clue as this is not the only screw up we have seen.

Tom,

when a GFI plug is in a circuit, any plugs down line are protected too. That's why some plugs have labels on them.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:13 AM   #8

Dave, I understand how the GFI circuits work, what I am saying is RW doesn't, they are labeling outlets as being GFI that are not, and wiring in outlets that are not labeled. Some of my outlets that are on the GFI circuit are in the bedroom. MY island outlets in the kitchen are labled GFI but are not, they are on a regular circuit.