Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2019, 04:17 PM   #1

Shore Power Problems

I’m trying to use the power outlets provided at our covered storage area, but so far I’ve been unable to do so. The power provided is just the standard 3 prong outlet with breakers in each outlet, similar to house GFI outlets. So I use a 50 to 30 amp pigtail, and I’ve had to add either a 15 amp pigtail or a 20 amp adapter plug to use the outlet. Each time I do this, the power initially powers the trailer(‘16 Sequoia 38QRE) and less than a minute later it trips the outlet breaker. I’ve tried to use a half dozen different breakers, but the result is the same. I want to use it before a trip to precool the residential fridge, or right now to run the heat pump to keep the trailer above freezing during colder temps overnight here. Has anyone had this issue? Any ideas on a fix? On a side note, does anyone know to turn off the residential fridge other than tripping the main breakers? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:25 PM   #2

One possibility is the shore power circuit is on a GFCI. I found the same thing when we parked the coach at our house before a trip and powered it from a GFCI circuit in our garage. The two GFCI circuits seem to "battle" each other. I replaced the garage receptacle with a non-GFCI and problem went away.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:10 PM   #3

Thanks Jim. I have an internal surge protector system. Perhaps I should turn it off and see if that would solve the problem.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:13 PM   #4

Well, I have the Progressive Industries hardwired system, and it doesn't conflict with hooking up 15A service to the coach when parked at our house. I've had to use it at our camping spot when the 50A cord set failed also. Works ok.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:58 PM   #5

Try turning off the battery charger and inverter/charger (if you have the residential fridge). It may be the initial power required to support the chargers and the refrigerator exceeds the 15A capacity. Another option is to change the settings on the inverter/charger for the residential fridge to limit the line power draw to 5A which should allow the fridge enough power to operate. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:03 PM   #6

I'm in Jim's camp. Start by changing the GFCI plug in the storage unit to a standard 15A. Then if it keeps popping the breaker, you are overloading. if you are trying to use both heat pumps, then I believe you will indeed overload as they will take 15A . I can not run one AC unit on a standard 15A for one very long before it trips. You should be able to do the refrigerator and charger with no other load.

Why not have an electrician install a 50A service in your storage? That way you can do whatever you need without damaging anything.

JMHO YMMV
Old 11-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #7

have you checked to make sure the hot water heater electric heating element is turned off ? they can get a short to ground that only shows up as it warms up.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #8

Shore power storage

Question at my storage unit I have electrical outlet to plug my 5th wheel into, I just want it to trickle charge my batteries. Do I turn off or on my switch at the batteries in order for me to charge my batteries.
bshouseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshouseman View Post
Question at my storage unit I have electrical outlet to plug my 5th wheel into, I just want it to trickle charge my batteries. Do I turn off or on my switch at the batteries in order for me to charge my batteries.
With the main disconnect "off" the converter/charger will not charge the batteries, but unfortunately will not disconnect all draw from your batteries either, it's actually not of much use for anything.
If you connect your trickle charger directly to the batteries, positive lead to one battery with negative lead to the other battery, would be best, but disconnect the main negative (-) cable from that battery or the parasitic draws will negate whatever trickle your putting in them. Be sure to check the water levels a few times while in storage on a charger also.
Hope this isn't as confusing as it reads?
I believe your wanting to use a separate stand alone trickle charger rather than plugging in the coach shore power? If so the instructions above are correct.
If you're wanting to use the shore power through the coaches charging system then you need to do nothing, just plug in as if at a park, just be sure all electric appliances are off as well as any lights or other 12 volt items & check the water levels about once a month, top off with distilled water.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #10

I do just want to use shore power. Do I still have to turn off the main battery disconnect
Old 11-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #11

If you want to leave shore power connected so you can use the battery charger inside the Redwood then I recommend leaving the Red Battery Switch ON. However I also recommend checking the water level in the batteries every few months just to be safe.
This will do several things for you; prevent the batteries from freezing due to inadvertent discharge caused by the "always on" LP Alarm and other misc. 12 Volt items that cannot be turned off by the Red Battery Switch.
Many of us have been required to rewire the Red Battery Switch to completely disconnect the batteries so that we can keep the batteries from being discharged while the RV is in storage.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #12

Quote:
I do just want to use shore power. Do I still have to turn off the main battery disconnect
If no shore power with charger directly connected the the batteries leave the disconnect on, but disconnect the main negative cable from that battery. That disconnects EVERYTHING, the factory disconnect DOES NOT.
Looking at your batteries on the RWs the left battery usually has a red cable going to the buss bar behind the batteries with both batteries connected with a short cable then the left battery has a ground cable, usually black, going to a screw into the metal box, disconnect that black cable off of the left battery post. Now all battery power is disconnected & you can leave the factory disconnect on or off whichever you chose as it's not relevant with that ground cable off.

the-wrong-wat-to-connect-two-batteries-in-parallel.jpg
In this photo remove the black cable going to a ground from battery A.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-04-2019, 01:44 AM   #13

Traveling Texans thank you so this is a way to charge my batteries using shore power or at least keeping them from going dead. I will keep checking the water level
Old 11-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Traveling Texans thank you so this is a way to charge my batteries using shore power or at least keeping them from going dead. I will keep checking the water level
If you are using shore power just plug your RW into the available power source leave the factory disconnect "on" & done, other than checking the battery water levels monthly
The instructions in the previous post are if you "do not" use shore power.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #15

Thank you so much