Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #101

When you dump your tanks you should close off the gray tanks for a day or two before so you have water to flush out the lines. Dump the black tank and clean then close off the black and dump the gray tanks to get all the yuck out of the lines. If you are parked with the gray lines open you will get the smell of the black back up the lines and through the vent under the sinks. This happened to us when we first got our RW.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:40 PM   #102
Site Team

I don't know if this has been said yet......

My unit had sewer smell as well and they fixed it by putting a 360 degree cap on the vent. Also as others have posted, check or replace the mechanical vents located under the sinks. The Rv industry seems to use cheep ones that fail a lot
Old 07-22-2016, 11:34 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
Danny, do you really have 1800 posts??? Wow!
I guess, I haven't been counting. That either means I spend too much time on here or I'm a "know-it-all" in my own mind. I have been on this forum since before we ordered our RW 3 1/2+ years ago.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #104

FOUND IT
Chris hit the nail on the head. It's hard to see but under your bathroom sink are two blue pex lines. They go up into the corner out of site and you think they are water lines.

THEY are not, they are vent lines leading directly to the black tank. At the ends of the lines is a black valve
Mine was stuck open so basically my black tank was venting directly into my bathroom. Told you it was bad.
I removed the valve and installed a bridge between them with a piece of PVC.

Smell is gone.

I also sent the manufacturer of the valve a nasty email
ichabod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #105

Just got a response from the valve manufacturer

Here it is :

Mr. Oom,

Thank you for contacting B&B Molders.

I can understand your frustrations and appreciate your taking time to send us a message.

We will send you a complimentary replacement immediately.

However, with regard to the situation you have experienced I provide you the following explanation.

The RVIA Codes and Standards calls for the proper venting of a wastewater holding to be a 1 1/2” diameter pipe exhausting through the roof of the unit. Provided that this venting system is free and clear of obstructions, the sewer gases should simply exhaust out the top without causing any excessive back pressures anywhere else in the system (including toilets and our device). We were made aware that our device is occasionally exposed to excessive pressures in the reverse direction

and have made a couple minor engineering changes to help prevent this situation from occurring again.

With all that being said, we have still not been able to pinpoint or have anyone confirm how these excessive pressures are being generated. Any guidance or insight from your perspective would be greatly appreciated.

We apologize for your inconvenience.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #106

Looks like a rather professional response, at least to me.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:09 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Looks like a rather professional response, at least to me.
I totally agree and very Timely it only took one day for a response Plus they are sending me a self- addressed package so that I can return old part so that their Engineers can study the problem
Old 07-26-2016, 01:06 AM   #108

If it's 2 blue pex lines, it's the black tank flush line, so it's not a vent but the back flow preventer on that flush line. Your black tank will be vented through the roof not under the sink. Once you replace that part, put a hose shut off on that port in the convenience center & you'll have no problems in the future.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #109

When we first purchased our 36FL we kept getting what we though was a sewer smell... especially when the outside temp was above 90°. We tried checked all the plumbing drain connections and still could not find the source of the smell...even thought it might have been a small propane leak. Then I got to looking around in the front storage compartment. I discovered the battery container vent hose wasn't attached. When it got hot inside the storage compartment, battery fumes would seep into the living area.

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:54 AM   #110

The odor I am noticing is actually in the hot water only regardless of which faucet including the exterior hand held unit. Using a small amount of bleach in the hot water tank cures the issue for a day or two. The odor is not detectable during cool weather periods - just during these hot dog days. Just curious if others have noticed this. The state park water, at the post connection is odorless. If we run the hot water for a short time the odor disappears until the next time we use hot water.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:07 AM   #111

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Bob
I had the same thing and replaced the the vent under the kitchen and bathroom sink and it went away. Whenever we ran the hot water in the sink or shower it would set the smell off
Old 07-27-2016, 02:36 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAircraft View Post
The odor I am noticing is actually in the hot water only regardless of which faucet including the exterior hand held unit. Using a small amount of bleach in the hot water tank cures the issue for a day or two. The odor is not detectable during cool weather periods - just during these hot dog days. Just curious if others have noticed this. The state park water, at the post connection is odorless. If we run the hot water for a short time the odor disappears until the next time we use hot water.
I would try changing the anode rod. Even if it looks good, If you are using a magnesium rod change it to an aluminum rod, if you are using an aluminum rod change it to magnesium. A plumber told me one time that the different rods react differently to different minerals in the water and can create a rotten egg smell. It would be worth a try.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
I would try changing the anode rod. Even if it looks good, If you are using a magnesium rod change it to an aluminum rod, if you are using an aluminum rod change it to magnesium. A plumber told me one time that the different rods react differently to different minerals in the water and can create a rotten egg smell. It would be worth a try.
Thanks for the great suggestion. I have been wondering about the anode rod since replacing it last fall. If the rotten egg odor was limited to only inside I would go with Shane's suggestion however even the external hot water faucet has the odor. I will grab a new anode rod somewhere here in the Shipshewana area. Today we are in Michigan City, IN for DW's business then off to Breman, IN to pick up our RW with the new furniture installed by Precision Painting and RV interiors. Also, on the trip up here we had a piece of horizontal trim come loose so having that repaired by Precision Painting. The piece is along the line between the fiber glass side wall (curb side) and metal curtain. It is mounted with trim tape. Precision Painting commented that the trim piece was slightly too long thus buckling outward after four years. The same piece on the street side was wiped out with the E-rated tire blow out earlier this year. They cut the street side replacement trim piece slightly shorter to allow for expansion. Hopefully the new 17.5" H-rated tires will do the trick as blow outs at 65 MPH are not fun. Will arrive in Shipshewana this Saturday morning then off to MOR/ryde next Monday for their heavy duty shackle link and wet bolt install. Looking forward to the rally. Thanks again.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
Old 07-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #114

Pulled out the Suburban hot water heater manual. There is a section on hot water heater rotten egg/sulphur water odor and is a common event. Six ounces of bleach per ten gallons of hot water in the tank then flushing through each faucet then let set for a few days repeating if necessary is the problem solver. I only added about 25% of the recommended bleach. After replacing the anode rod I will give Suburban method a tryout.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #115
Site Team

Bob ~ I would really like to see the furniture while at the Rally if I can. We're thinking of having some custom stuff made to replace the couch and looking for a good shop to do it.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Bob ~ I would really like to see the furniture while at the Rally if I can. We're thinking of having some custom stuff made to replace the couch and looking for a good shop to do it.
You are most welcomed to stop by. Carol and I will be at the Shipshewana South campground beginning this Saturday then out early next (5AM) Monday for work at MOR/ryde then back Monday afternoon. I will be at Shipshewana about 14-days.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #117
Site Team

We get in Monday afternoon. Look forward to seeing you again.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:31 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAircraft View Post
You are most welcomed to stop by. Carol and I will be at the Shipshewana South campground beginning this Saturday then out early next (5AM) Monday for work at MOR/ryde then back Monday afternoon. I will be at Shipshewana about 14-days.
Wishing you safe travel. Weather is so nice here. Arrived a week ago. Going to be hard to leave in mid August to return to the hot mid Kansas weather.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:07 AM   #119

Did you ever figure this out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott & Vicky View Post
Re-opening this thread: We are getting a bad sewer odor through the return vent under the coat closet in the kitchen. Went into the basement and opened the door in the wall to the back of the service area and the smell was awful. No leaks or even moisture was visible in side. Any hints?

Did you ever figure this out. We are having similar issues. Very damp out and running bedroom fan.
frank33v is offline   Reply With Quote