Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

Unhappy Severe fading

I purchased my 2012 Redwood approximately 1 year ago. I have noticed a lot of fading on the rear of the coach, under the rear window. I called Inspiration RV to come out and clean, wax and UV protect my unit, he indicated that this fading is NOT normal, and indicated that I should check to see if this a covered under a warranty. I purchased the unit from Explorer USA RV in Fort Worth last year, I purchased it as a used unit, at the time I also purchased the extended warranty (which apparently only covers mechanical issues). So I contacted Crossroads RV Warranty, they indicated that the warranty is non-transferable since I purchased it used. This was a large investment for a single woman, and I need this fixed before it gets even worse, it a 2012 unit, it’s still NEW. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone else noticed the fading on the back of their unit?
I have a 2012 36FB.
Conniebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #2

Is your RW full body paint and if so what color?
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #3

I really do not know, it is primarily tan and white, the rear (where its fading) is tan.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:05 PM   #4

OK it is not full body paint. There have been numerous problems with these fading. It is likely worse on the top of the end caps where you cannot see it. Some of the more senior members may have some ideas as to how proceed. When I was looking at RW's last year I looked at one that was faded on both caps. I just looked for a full body paint unit.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Site Team

It is my understanding that the fading has only been an issue on the "standard finish gel coat" trailers. Some folks have had a severe amount of fading on both front and rear caps. Those coaches that were still within the two year warranty period and were the original buyers had their caps repainted under warranty by Redwood.

It is also my understanding from comments on this and other forums that that Redwood and other manufacturers had an unusual rash of fading caps with the standard gel coat finished coaches. That may be why Redwood dropped the gel coat finish on the top end units.

I would recommend you contact Redwood directly to discuss how to proceed and what the remedies would be. I have own our 2012 36RL since September 2011. The first two years, it was outside in the elements for about two months per year and in inside storage for 10 months.......I did not notice any fading during that time. But, the past 1 1/2 years, the trailer has been out of storage about 7 months each year and is now showing fading on the top of both front and rear caps. I would like to discuss this with Redwood in August at the rally to see how I can find a solution to prevent further fading.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:39 PM   #6

Mine looks like yours Hooserguy. I bought it a year ago, I'm guessing it was in covered storage prior to my ownership because it was not faded when I purchased it. I had no idea that this would happen, its still a pretty new unit. Please let me know what others have done to remedy this situation, I am a single woman and I worry about the costs to have it all repainted.

I contacted Crossroads warranty dept, they took no responsibility and told me that I have no warranty since I was not the original owner. I purchased an expensive extended warranty also, but that only covers mechanical stuff. Errrrrrr
Old 06-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #7

Conniebrad, I had a 2012 36 RL that faded. After sending pictures and discussing this with Redwood they paid to have the front and rear cap painted and clearcoated. Don't give up. Keep talking to them until they correct the problem. They have known since they started building these units that they have a fade problem with the tan gelcoat caps.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:37 PM   #8

Ok, I will keep at it. Do you have any direct contact information? I contacted the warranty department, they did return my email with a telephone call, but they were no help
Old 06-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #9

I have a 2012 standard [aint that faded badly. I had many heated conversations with Redwood but they would not cover this under warranty because I was not the original owner. I had the front cap repainted $1500. I am not repainting the rear cap. Hoping a tree falls on the back of the trailer so I can get it replaced.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #10

I hear a chainsaw starting.......
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:50 AM   #11

The only fix is to paint it. Redwood covered mine under warranty. Sounds like you would have to pay yourself.

Mark
Old 06-16-2015, 02:16 AM   #12

I also had mine repainted under warranty... this is grossly unfair of Redwood to not pick up the tab for their obvious problem with inferior gel coat.
I have a 30 year old sail boat that has not faded as bad as my Redwood did.
Keep after Redwood and insist on a repair at their cost... these units sit out in the sun.. they will fade.
Go to a reputable boat dealer or repair shop and get them to have a look. There are a number of products that will reduce but not eliminate the fading that must be applied every year.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #13

Thanks everyone, I am worried about the costs to repair, my rent just went up $35 a month & keeping my RV cool (in Texas) is not cheap, and not to mention what I pay for insurance on the unit. I would be happy if Redwood would step up and help me to correct this issue. Oh well, I'll let you know how it all turns out.
Good luck out there and stay safe!
Love this forum!
Connie Bradshaw
Old 06-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #14

I just got the Phone with Redwood. I have a 2012RE both the front and rear cap are fading and I'm the original owner. I was told if your unit is out of warranty or not the original owner they will not cover getting the caps repainted. I was told if it is past the two year warranty nothing is covered.
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #15

I know I might be in the minority on this one, but I am going to have to say that I don't FAULT Redwood for not covering it under warranty. ***I HOPE THEY DO*** but if they do not, I cannot find anything wrong with that. Their warranty is clearly outlined, and is not transferable and never has been. If you buy a used vehicle (at a great discount from new) you expect this. THAT IS WHY IT COSTS LESS! If there was no benefit to spending a LOT more on a new RW then I would have bought one a year or two old to benefit cost wise! The fading was the responsibility of the original owner, and they did not take care of it, and that should be reflected in the price they sold the unit to you for. It's always buyer beware, and that is a fact of life we all have to live with.

AGAIN: I HOPE THEY TAKE CARE OF IT FOR YOU!!!! But I am not going to give RW a black eye if they do not, this rig is nearly 4 years old. I know it's new to YOU, but your financial situation and your "single" status is of no relevance as to whether or not you should have warranty coverage when others do not. That would be discriminatory and unfair to those who were refused warranty. They have to draw the line somewhere, and it is clearly stated where that line is.

OK, go ahead and blast me. RW has been great with warranty claims and I am going to have to support them on this one. My guess is they WILL help you, if not "cover" it in getting an affordable, expert repair and I think that is more than fair. Best of luck, either way. It's a great RV, and you will still come out ahead!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #16

Conniebrad, we are in the same situation. We purchased our 2012 RW used when it was a year old. Started having fading issues on the front and rear caps within a year. Being that we were not the original owners, it was not under warranty. Obviously there was an issue was a defect in the paint...I'm going to address the issue at the Rally this year, unfortunately, I'm not too optimistic about Redwood standing behind their product. I do strongy feel they should take responsibility though!
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #17

The fading is not paint. It is the molded color. The painted trailers don't do this. The only paint is the tan on the lower sides.

Mark
Old 06-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #18

Markw...so this problem stems from issues during the molding process? It's definitely not something that should happen within a year or two of manufacturing.
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:57 PM   #19

I don't think there was a true problem with the process. Maybe a lack of steps. I think the thought at the time was it could be controlled with regular waxing. That was not the case. The level of fading was likely completely unexpected in such a short time.

Mark
Old 06-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #20

Mine was still under warranty and the dealer had the approval to paint, within 15 or 20 minutes of submitting pictures. It was not even the dealer we bought from.

Mark