Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #21

It's a problem with the fiberglass, and its NOT just Redwood. I was shopping with my daughter and brand new TTs with the brown front cap were already faded. There were several at the shop being sanded for paint.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #22

This is issue of fading is something that cannot be classified as "normal". The question is why is it happening on newer units? Fiberglass manufacturing is far from being new technology!
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:39 PM   #23

To me its s pigment issue - but I don't know a lot of about it. Back in the 80s and 90s when Fleetwood Tioga and others went to a corrugated tan fiberglass as an alternative to white or aluminum, it was only a matter of a couple years before they were chalk looking, and there wasn't a whole lot you go do about it.

Doesn't look like the technology has improved much.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #24

Maybe because they are no longer all white today. Color fading would be much more noticeable. Don't forget the $$$ it would probably take to eliminate it.

Mark
Old 06-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #25

Its a flaw. some of the Outbacks at the Dealer my daughter was looking at were bleached white at the top and they hadn't even gotten titled yet.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conniebrad View Post
I purchased my 2012 Redwood approximately 1 year ago. I have noticed a lot of fading on the rear of the coach, under the rear window. I called Inspiration RV to come out and clean, wax and UV protect my unit, he indicated that this fading is NOT normal, and indicated that I should check to see if this a covered under a warranty. I purchased the unit from Explorer USA RV in Fort Worth last year, I purchased it as a used unit, at the time I also purchased the extended warranty (which apparently only covers mechanical issues). So I contacted Crossroads RV Warranty, they indicated that the warranty is non-transferable since I purchased it used. This was a large investment for a single woman, and I need this fixed before it gets even worse, it a 2012 unit, it’s still NEW. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone else noticed the fading on the back of their unit?
I have a 2012 36FB.
Hi Connie!
I apologize that you have been experiencing problems! I have contacted you directly to get some information and try to help you in any way we can.
Hang in there!
Christian
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:33 AM   #27
Site Team

Color fading in gel coat in Fiberglas is a problem. Those of us that had boats won't even look at a boat with colored gel coat because we know it will fade. Not if, but when. One of the biggest reasons I went with a full paint. When I bought mine, there was a dealer in Michigan that was trying to make me the deal if the year, but ..... It didn't have paint.

To my knowledge, no one has cured the fading pigment problem yet. I just delivered a boat that is 1 year old and the hull sides are fading ( cost of boat $400k plus). It is being hauled and prepped for paint next month and no, the manufacturer is not paying for it.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Color fading in gel coat in Fiberglas is a problem. Those of us that had boats won't even look at a boat with colored gel coat because we know it will fade. Not if, but when.
I noticed putting on the registration stickers last month, she celebrates her 20th year this year! Not even beginning to show color fade. We have been very fortunate with this one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150527_185955.jpg (169.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #29

Brad

Is there any toy that you don't have? How do you find time to play with them all? (We're all jealous)

Jim

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #30
Site Team

Brad - think that high mountain air and short season might have something to do with it ? Just kidding, you're one of the very lucky ones. The older SeaRays are great boats but they all had their fade problems too.

Good looking boat.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #31

Short season definitely plays a role, but this high mountain air also has killer UV. This boat was stored outside for 10 years under a cover before we started putting it in a garage. But regardless, I am impressed after 20 years no color fade, no yellowing, and the interior is flawless. It has outlasted 2 travel trailers and 3 fifth wheels

Jim, to be honest I am running out to time to play with them all and interests change - this one will probably go to my daughter in next year or two as I'm getting a little tired of hauling it around. It's Dory that just loves it and won't let go.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:45 AM   #32

We have the same problem. We purchased a 2013 36rl from a private party. They had an electrical fire in their original redwood. After quite a hassle, redwood replaced it with a new redwood. They never slept in it as they had already purchased a new one thinking they would get a cash settlement from redwood. So we bought what we thought was a excellent camper only to find out when we parked it in an rv park, we are the only Redwood there and out of 150 campers ours is the only one showing fade! Redwood won't cover it under our 7 year warranty as we were not the original owner! they basically told us if we would have lied and given the first owners name, they would have covered a new paint job! too bad we didn't know that before we called! It is a shame that with a rv over $100000, they won't do anything!
Jake and Theda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #33

Did you ever get this solved? They told us the same thing even though ours was never used when we bought it, we were the second owner and they would not do anything. Looks pretty sad at the campground with all the nice Big Horns!
tjhome20@iowatelecom.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhome20@iowatelecom.net View Post
Did you ever get this solved? They told us the same thing even though ours was never used when we bought it, we were the second owner and they would not do anything. Looks pretty sad at the campground with all the nice Big Horns!
The only permanent fix is to paint the caps.I caught mine in time that RW paid to paint them.

Mark
Old 08-13-2016, 02:56 AM   #35

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce
I have a 2012 36FB. I t had faded on both ends in a very short time. I found that Rw had many problems like this and they had me take it to Johnson's Fiberglass repair and paint shop on Jon Jones at Alsbury in Burleson, TX. They re-painted both end caps with exceptionally high quality Auto paint and RW paid for it. Still beautiful after 3 years. If you can't get RW to pay for it see John At Johnson's Fiberglass and paint....He will give you a great deal and a great job.
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #36

Severe fading

Thanks for your response. We are from Iowa and the dealer that sold it originally will repaint it. They really tried to get Redwood to stand behind it and they wouldn't. It was 2 years old and supposedly if the first owner would have requested it to be repainted they would have. We purchased the 7 year extended warranty and Redwood wont even give us a new decal to put on it when we get it repainted! When we bought this unit it had never been slept in as it was a replacement for a unit that had an electrical fire. I guess it isnt very good advertising for Redwood sitting at our beautiful campground with the front end all faded! This is our first attempt at camping. If we like it and continue camping we will be looking for a different vendor if this is all the better Redwood's warranty is.
tjhome20@iowatelecom.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake and Theda View Post
We have the same problem. We purchased a 2013 36rl from a private party. They had an electrical fire in their original redwood. After quite a hassle, redwood replaced it with a new redwood. They never slept in it as they had already purchased a new one thinking they would get a cash settlement from redwood. So we bought what we thought was a excellent camper only to find out when we parked it in an rv park, we are the only Redwood there and out of 150 campers ours is the only one showing fade! Redwood won't cover it under our 7 year warranty as we were not the original owner! they basically told us if we would have lied and given the first owners name, they would have covered a new paint job! too bad we didn't know that before we called! It is a shame that with a rv over $100000, they won't do anything!
I don't understand what the 7 year extended warranty has to do with Redwood. I don't think you purchased that from Redwood, I think that is a dealer thing but, regardless of that, Redwood does allow a second owner to transfer the original warranty with a fee. Not sure exactly when your 2 year warranty ended but the dealer should've offered that if it was still within the2 years, then Redwood should've covered it. There were many variables in your case that would've had to fall in line to get Redwood to cover the paint job under warranty but it sounds to me like the selling dealer was more interested in selling you an aftermarket warranty Hope you get the results you want.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #38

Ask the original owner if they will apply for the warranty repaint...maybe they will honor it or them.
RW36FB
Old 08-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #39

Dealers don't have their own paint shops they add a fee for handling and farm out the work... Find out who they use and see if that company will offer you a good deal to repaint.
RW36FB
Old 11-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #40

Angry Another unhappy RW owner with faded caps

Just got off the phone with RW and they won't help at all with the cost of repainting our faded RV. We are 8 months out of warranty. Very disappointed since they were fully aware of the problem with the gel coat and subsequently have discontinued using it!!! Ours didn't really get bad until about 6 months ago so it wouldn't have helped I guess if we had called sooner. To me this is just bad PR and sours you from upgrading your unit to another Redwood. Guss I'll be shopping SOB..
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax
Dro67 is offline   Reply With Quote