Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #1

Satellite for Canadians in USA

I'm asking my Canadian friends the best way to get satellite reception when travelling in the lower 48. We've heard about issues with Bell not being available once you get past a 100 miles from the border and Shaw is silent/vague on reception. Shaw uses the Winegard Trav'lr dish for RV applications but I guess the portable units might work as well. I'm looking for options right now as we've never had satellite when travelling so any advice would be welcome.
Talisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:36 PM   #2

OK, I'm not Canadian, but have many Canadian Friends here in our park in Florida. My understanding is you're correct about Bell, while Shaw does work, but not always the easiest to get setup and working. Hopefully someone who uses Bell or Shaw can give you real world results.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:51 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
My parents winter in the Phoenix area and there Shaw works fine for them. They even get their local Edmonton stations
Old 02-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #4

dish

I have a Shaw dish at home and on the RV. Shaw allows you 6 receivers per account. so 4 in the house an 2 in the RV. We are in Florida and it works great not a hick-up. Get a roof auto unit as they are a bit more tricky to setup....here is a bit of advise....

BELL..if they find out you are in the US with the dish they will cut you off and that goes for the house and RV and not reconnect. That includes your internet and cells if they are on a one bill package / system. About 8-10 years ago they tooted some rule that they cannot condone the use of a CDN dish in the US....B@#$%S. I have a friend who works for the CRTC. They will work in the US but more probs than Shaw. Here is their rules.. if you have one in Canada. Example you have your RV on a season site. You are supposed to call them Friday on the way to the unit and they will turn off the house and energize the RV and vise versa on Sunday. You cannot have 2 locations working at the same time.

SHAW.....When we had our brick house in Delray, FL they arranged for someone to install the dish for us. (back Then). now they will tolerate you having a unit in the US. But if you call for service use your CDN phone and tell them you are still in Canada as they have spent a lot of time on people setting them up while they are traveling and won't do it anymore. Get a auto unit on the roof and 1 button and the signal is there. Some times you may have to refresh your signal with your computer, but that's easy. To avoid any refreshing probs I always bring the 2 receivers into the house and do a complete update before leaving.
if you need more info PM me and i will call you. also depending where you are i can tell where to get the systems
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote