Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 03:55 AM   #21

We take the Hopper/Joey from home when we go on the road. The only hassle has been calling Dish customer service to get the locals changed to the location we decide to park it. Local channels are "spot beamed" so when you travel you may go outside the "local area". So far this has worked very well. We have Dish with the roof mount Travel'r.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #22

I actually started a different account for the RV and I have a permanently installed Hopper and 2 Joey. I own the equipment, which was a requirement to open the account as an RV account with Dish, which lets me turn it on and off when I need it.

Sounds cool eh? NOT! Its a pain in the keester because it is a rare thing and everytime I call Dish its a new learning curve for them. First time they said they can't allow a Hopper in an RV (hard drive issues). Then they keep putting me into a seasonal cabin category which they try to charge me $5.00 a month to keep open, I can only shut it down and restart once a year, and only for 9 months, with only the on time contributing to the 2 year contract. I explain I don't have a contract, as I'm on an RV account, but I might as well be barking up a dead rabbit's A$$.

Anyway - in theory it works and I should only be paying $3.50 a day for the days I need it, using the Top 250 programming. The Traveler antenna, Hopper and Joey are wonderful. If things don't get smoother activating these, then yes, they will become part of my house account (that will make 3 hoppers and 8 joeys!).
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #23

I have a Dish, and Dish receiver that stays in the RV all the time. I hook it up wherever I go. It is tied to my home account, and they just charge me an extra 7 bucks a month on my existing home service.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #24

We have Directv - the only ones apparently! Directv came out and installed 2 genies so we can watch different HD channels on each tv.

As far as the satellite, they would not go on the roof to install (policy) so they installed a dish with large square base just outside the trailer - the Slimline model. All works great.

As we are moving around more these days, Directv says we can transport the dish with us, but being so big as is, we'll be getting a tripod base so we can put in the trailer when traveling.

I use an Itunes app called "Dish Align" which shows your current location on a map and shows the direction of the satellite. You can move the icon where ever you want around the map to give you options for dish placement. On the TV setup screen, there is a signal strength screen which gives an audible beeping sound as you get closer to the right angle - thereby allowing me to set up on my own (I can hear it outside the RV). Took me about 5 minutes.

I looked at roof mounted systems but given the portability of a tripod mounted system (even on the roof if necessary) with 100 ft cable and no loss of quality, in my mind the roof mounted systems are less flexible (esp. in treed areas) and cost a whole lot more - I'm not aware of paying any more for installation/service in the RV. The only drawback i see is having to find room in the RV for the dish when traveling.

Now, if they could just work on making more programs worth watching we'd be golden!
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #25

We have Directv too

I am basically lazy and don't want anymore steps to setup and tear down then necessary, so bought a dvr for the LR and regular receiver for BR with auto winegard roof mount...

we have a new style portable dish too from our previous 5er,
but NEVER use it since it's just not worth the hassle to me to transport it and speak my third language when setting it up (english, spanish, and swearing)

Since we don't use the rv receivers regularly, they go inactive and all I have to do is go to https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/mydir...horization.jsp to reauthorize the two when we want to use them...

if I'm in trees, just use cable or tv antenna or let my DW talk
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #26
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I actually started a different account for the RV and I have a permanently installed Hopper and 2 Joey. I own the equipment, which was a requirement to open the account as an RV account with Dish, which lets me turn it on and off when I need it.

Sounds cool eh? NOT! Its a pain in the keester because it is a rare thing and everytime I call Dish its a new learning curve for them. First time they said they can't allow a Hopper in an RV (hard drive issues). Then they keep putting me into a seasonal cabin category which they try to charge me $5.00 a month to keep open, I can only shut it down and restart once a year, and only for 9 months, with only the on time contributing to the 2 year contract. I explain I don't have a contract, as I'm on an RV account, but I might as well be barking up a dead rabbit's A$$.

Anyway - in theory it works and I should only be paying $3.50 a day for the days I need it, using the Top 250 programming. The Traveler antenna, Hopper and Joey are wonderful. If things don't get smoother activating these, then yes, they will become part of my house account (that will make 3 hoppers and 8 joeys!).
FWIW, I have the Hopper and Joey in our RV and Dish never gives me any issues when I change the spot beam. It's usually about a 3-4 minute call to get things changed.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #27
csb

What do you do if you just want local stations where ever you happen to be? The cable at the RV parks is less than desirable and the Dish or Direct programming is really not worth the money.
csb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #28

We choose DirecTV. We have an account at home and just added a small DVR and one HD box to the account which provides the same service. We added the Winegard automatic dish mounted on the top of our 36RL when we bought it. It is the same service no matter where we're traveling. DirecTV provides the East coast network affiliates and we can pick up the locals via antenna over the air.
We also added a flat screen to what's called "Dads Toolbox" on the door side of the unit. I use a wireless HDMI transmitter from the bedroom and HDMI receiver to feed the additional set along with an RF remote that works inside and outside.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
We have Directv too

I am basically lazy and don't want anymore steps to setup and tear down then necessary, so bought a dvr for the LR and regular receiver for BR with auto winegard roof mount...

we have a new style portable dish too from our previous 5er,
but NEVER use it since it's just not worth the hassle to me to transport it and speak my third language when setting it up (english, spanish, and swearing)

Since we don't use the rv receivers regularly, they go inactive and all I have to do is go to https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/mydir...horization.jsp to reauthorize the two when we want to use them...

if I'm in trees, just use cable or tv antenna or let my DW talk
Thanks for the link...will come in handy. What does "DW" mean?

Old 08-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
We choose DirecTV. We have an account at home and just added a small DVR and one HD box to the account which provides the same service. We added the Winegard automatic dish mounted on the top of our 36RL when we bought it. It is the same service no matter where we're traveling. DirecTV provides the East coast network affiliates and we can pick up the locals via antenna over the air.
We also added a flat screen to what's called "Dads Toolbox" on the door side of the unit. I use a wireless HDMI transmitter from the bedroom and HDMI receiver to feed the additional set along with an RF remote that works inside and outside.
Know this is getting a little off topic but....very cool. Where did you get the HDMI transmitter and receiver? Also, could you explain (or show with pic) how you installed the flatscreen? Is it on the ceiling and flips down or is it on a side wall in the "toolbox"?

Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #31

I think the wireless HDMI and the RF remote came from Amazon. There are several models and a wide price range to chose from. The distance between the transmitter and receiver is only a few feet so you don't need anything super powerful. I think mine was about $125. The flat screen is the largest one I could fit into the opening of the "dads toolbox" around 23 inches. Using an RV locking swing out mount, I mounted it on a piece of plywood, covered it with black felt and wedged it into the back of the opening just in case it needs to be removed at a later date. When the box is open, the mount pulls out and the TV swivels so it can be seen from different angles. A nice addition especially since football season is here!
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #32
csb

I understand that most if not all of you have the roof mount satellite dish. Since we typically go where there are a lot of trees we are considering a portable one. Is there any portables that Redwood recommends?? Or that are better than the others.
Would you be able to get just the local channels with a more powerful antenna instead of a dish???
Honestly don't care about the programming from Dish or Direct just want local news
Old 08-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
I understand that most if not all of you have the roof mount satellite dish. Since we typically go where there are a lot of trees we are considering a portable one. Is there any portables that Redwood recommends?? Or that are better than the others.
Would you be able to get just the local channels with a more powerful antenna instead of a dish???
Honestly don't care about the programming from Dish or Direct just want local news
Not sure if Redwood recommends any particular brand or model. Some models get Dish, some get Directv and I think some can get both. As I already have Directv and the satellite, I'm just going to order a tripod for the satellite so it will fit inside the RV somewhere.

As far as local stations, I've never actually tried to get local channels through the use of just the antenna. Just put your antenna up, go into your tv set-up settings , set it to antenna and have it scan for channels. If I get a chance today, will give it a try although with all the wiring Directv did to get it up and running, not sure if the antenna is even connected at this point.

Good luck

Old 08-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #34

If you are near some metropolitan area or near some towns, you should get OTA stations through the roof top antenna, Although not perfect, it does a decent job. The antenna is boosted as well, have to make sure it is powered on. I have heard good things about the Winegard Rayzar as well, but haven't tried it. Someone posted a web site that you could poke in your zip code and it would tell you what stations to expect where you are located and direction.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #35

Stating the obvious, but wanted to make sure you remember to turn signal booster on for antenna and off for cable TV... or else you won't like the results either way...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Stating the obvious, but wanted to make sure you remember to turn signal booster on for antenna and off for cable TV... or else you won't like the results either way...
Not obvious to me so thanks. I can't find a signal booster. Is this something that you preorder our does it come standard?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #37
csb

Did not know we had one!!! Where would one find it???? LOL
Old 08-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #38

Depending on your unit it should be in the bedroom in a closet close to the bedroom TV. Other units it should be close by. Simple push button, then a green light comes on. Connected directly to your antenna and standard equipment.
USN Retired

Old 08-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #39

should look like this - http://www.rvpartsnation.com/assets/...-rv-7042-1.jpg
USN Retired

Old 08-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #40
csb

My husband just said, "Well I'll be go to hell" LOL. He did not know that. Thank you

Tags
satellite, satellite dish