Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #1
rmc

Question Satellite Cabling Puzzle

We're looking for help to solving a puzzling cable routing issue, from the factory installation. This may/should be covered by Warranty, but it could be weeks/months to get the RV back if pursued.

We have a new 2019, RW3951MB Sapphire Edition with the Front Living and a 65" TV mounted to the front wall, with cabling coming out from the wall behind the TV (no ports).

The connection ports in the ODS Satellite compartment have the Living Room IN and Bedroom IN mapped to each other, and not the respective rooms. In addition, the Living Room's satellite cable is mapped directly to the Bedroom's satellite port . Well, at least the roof antenna Inputs are correct to the ODS compartment! I've checked the cabling behind the compartment wall and it all goes under the floor towards the kitchen.

I'm hoping that there would be a Multi-switch or splitter location within an accessible location that I could correct these issues!

Does anyone have a diagram of the routing of Satellite Cabling, or perhaps know of a location to access a possible cross-connection that can be resolved?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Rick
rmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #2

sat / coax issues

Sorry to say ....this is another one of those issues that shows lack of quality control....inspection/testing at the factory level....Yes there has to be a "splitter" somewhere because of the multiple tv's in the system......Good news that these coax cables route low in the RV so they should be able to be seen / accessed somewhere.....Not sure about a physical switch....as that would mean everytime you want a signal at a different TV it would need to be accessed ETC.....
Contact your dealer and have them talk directly to factory reps about getting the info...(if you have a good dealer)....Could be a 10 minute fix with the right information.....Good luck...Wes
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
rmc

Thanks for the reply, Wes.
I highly agree, it does show some lack of quality control & testing at the source. Very unfortunate at this level of an RV investment. We've had a few other lesser issues as well. Some solved, some on-going.. one at a time though.

I have contacted Crossroads RV and have received an initial acknowledgement response, no solution as yet however. I am hoping for useful info to resolve this one, hopefully easily as you referred to.

- Rick

Lovin' it with a 2019 3951MB Sapphire!
Old 02-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #4

Sat Problems (and others)

Rick....Hang in there in regards to getting thing solved / repaired...I was a RV service tech for years....and the higher end units sold at our dealership generally were "Garage Queens" for the first while...mostly because of their added complexity.....but with few exceptions.....with good service work (a good dealer) and some patience usually a rig would settle in to a state of good reliable service and repair....internal components such as appliances etc will always be a problem as they are "crap' (excuse my french)....or would that be le-crap....LOL....This comes from a guy who as been covered in crap (working on leaky black tanks)...have gotten stuck in a tight space trying to fix something....fallen thru rotten floors / roof from water damage....had to clean up "critter " poop everywhere.....and I still have 2 RV's...Maybe I hit my head during some service work....All kidding aside....I love the two rigs we have and the amazing lifestyle they afford....Wes
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:10 AM   #5

cable

what i did was buy about 20 cable couplers.

The part that u use to join 2 cables together.

then i got 20 12volt bulbs and attached them to the joiner with solder.

from there i got a 12v battery (small 3 amp) like an alarm battery. and rang out all the cables and drew my own schematic.

the problem is it depends if Joe - Ralph - mark or Emile did the cabling Monday or Thursday. no joke i have been beside 2 units the same as mine (year and model) and nothing matched with the 3 of us. beside the time the total cost of the parts from an electronics store might be 30-40$ good luck
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
rmc

Update!

I have been in touch with Redwood/Keystone RV and have received a TV wiring diagram of our RV. (Thank you Bettina R!)

In the email she says there isn't a multi-switch in our model, but the primary tech at our dealer claims there should be, and where it would be located. Sooo, as our weather warms up a bit more (Dallas area) I'll be exploring the basement TV area's hidden internals behind the walls.

a1-f1-m24394-image001_2epng_4001D4C382_2e817D3BE0.png

This how it 'should' be installed
Old 02-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #7

One thing Dish warned my neighbors was that Dish doesn't really like splitters.

You can buy a tool at Lowe's for about 30 dollars which includes a cap for one end of the cable and a a fitting for the other end that sends a signal. We found it very useful.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #8

We have a 2015 39MB, had a problem with a splitter a couple years ago, was told on this site where to look, found it in the living room ceiling right side, rear light, just took light out felt the cable and the splitter was there also.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:27 AM   #9
rmc

Thanks to everyone that is offering hints of help!!
Highly appreciated

I've checked the hidden basement areas referred by our dealer tech, but no multi-switch as directed by Keystone RV. There was a splitter for just the basement TV though, oh boy!

I've re-checked the Living Room to Bedroom cables and they are directly connected. Same goes for the ODS Wet Compartment where the Satellite connections are outside - The Living Room IN goes direct to the Bedroom IN, right next to it. <sigh...>

Seems we have a MAJOR wiring fiasco here from the factory.

Lovin' it with a 2019 3951MB Sapphire!
Old 02-19-2019, 12:59 AM   #10

No Fiasco, just normal throwing cables and where they land, that's where they stay.
It took me a while to get mine to a state where I know what goes where and get everything hooked to my satisfaction.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:45 PM   #11

My connections were messed up too on my 2019 3951WB. I found that the connections to the bedroom and living room are reversed. I used a cable toner to figure out what was wrong. After finishing the manufacturer's job, my cable connections are correct.
RW3951WB19 is offline   Reply With Quote