Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #121

Gents
We recently had a traveler installed on our 36RL. The wiring from the factory was poop so the unit was installed over the bedroom at the front of our unit.
We found a working cable running from the bedroom to the living area.
The satellite controller was installed in the cabinet in the bedroom, the signal cable was connected to the living area using the prewired cable provided by RW.
The wires were run up through the roof in the cabinet of the bedroom and the dish was installed at the front of the trailer.
We went with the Direct TV package and they provided the main receiver and two clients at no cost to us in exchange for a two year commitment. No additional wiring was required and the set in the bedroom, as well as the one outside work wirelessly with the clients. The pictures are excellent.
We chose to have the dish placed in a new location because the pre-installed cable was not the right one (length and number of conductors) and the coax cables going through the roof were rusting and appeared to be a potential for problems in the future.
We are happy with the install and the new addition folds down so that it did not add any additional height to the RW.
I would suggest that you check out the cables before you commit to a purchase of a satellite system. Remember, most of the carry out units have a total cable length requirement to work properly. That's usually 50 feet and includes the total of the cable supplied, and the wiring already installed in your trailer. You may find that the cable running from point A to point B has no function or is broken somehow.
Good luck!

Safe travels
George and Kay
Gegallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:24 AM   #122

Bob - Congratulations on that 36RL!

Attached to this post is a pdf of the wiring
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite.pdf (10.5 KB, 64 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:28 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegallant View Post
Gents
We recently had a traveler installed on our 36RL. The wiring from the factory was poop so the unit was installed over the bedroom at the front of our unit.

George and Kay
George - sorry to hear about the wiring. Sometimes I think the installers aren't checking it right. Ours was exactly as shown on the diagram, and works perfectly, even though I couldn't trace them with a sounder. I tossed the sounder and just hooked them up - presto!
Old 09-27-2014, 01:56 AM   #124

I am having a horrible time setting up my Wingard carryout (big white one). I am trying to get TV in both the living room and bedroom. I got on top of the roof and located both the coax ports. I connected one to the mobile satellite (main) and connected the other one (sat 2) to both the roof coax ports.

Example:
Roof Port One-to mobile satellite (Mine says Main)
Roof Port Two-to mobile satellite (Mine says Secondary)

Entertainment Center:

1 Piece of tape: Nothing Connected--goes to compartment where you dump the black/gray tanks)

2 Pieces of tape: Connected from roof to Directv (Satellite)
Satellite works great in the living room!!

NO Pieces of tape: Nothing connected to it

Behind Main living room TV:
(?) Booster: 1 orange (nothing connected), 1 gray (connected from booster to main living room TV)

Bedroom:
Behind the booster, I have one gray, one white and one black cable attached to the booster. I have NO orange cables anywhere!! I turned off the booster, connected the 2nd Directv to the booster. It does not work!!! I changed all the satellite problems with Directv, so I know it is not them.

I am so confused!!!!! I have One orange cable without tape, one with two pieces of tape and one with one piece of black tape behind the entertainment center. I don't have any orange cables connected to the booster in the bedroom. I have two connections on the roof which I am using now. I have been trying to get cable TV in my bedroom for MONTHS!!! I looked at the diagram but it did not help. Redwood could not help either. I want to be able to watch different programs on different TV's. I have a DVR on the side if I need to connect it so I can get a signal in the bedroom. Please HELP!!!

Dave
Dave6532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:21 AM   #125

I check satellite cables everywhere tonight. Here they are….

Dump Station Satellite Connections: One is Orange (left) and One is white (right)

Behind Main living room TV: One is gray (top) and One is orange (bottom)

Above Main living room TV: One Orange with NO black tape stripe, One Orange with ONE black tape stripe, and One Orange with TWO black tape strips.

Main Bedroom TV: Two White cables (This is NOT the booster)

Main Bedroom TV booster: One Black, One Gray, and One White

Storage TV: One Gray (Top--Cable), One Orange (Bottom--Satellite)

I hope this helps!! I am getting frustrated.

Dave
Old 09-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #126

Dave, we had similar issues with the Sat. On the Kitchen slide, when open, to the rear is where all the cables go from the coach to the back of the LR TV. Reach up in there and pull all the coax out and they are all barrell connected. May have to use a sounder, but they have been hooked up wrong and are not to the diagram

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #127

Recently acquired the 2013 38BR I have posted about. Yay! As we sat up on first trip, I connected park cable. No tv channels. Raised antenna and received some channels. Don't have sat yet,so am I doing something wrong outside of connecting coax to the "cable in" at UDC? Confirmed that what I receive is truly antenna feed by lowering antenna and lost signal. Also disabled antenna boost and lost signal. Gotta be something simple. On backside of LR tv I am connected to the wall input on the bottom input. I cannot determine anything on BR set because I can't even pull it out to check connections.... Is that normal? Surely one may have to replace a tv one day and would need to have access to bracket right? Any pearls of wisdom would be great!
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #128

Dave,

I'm curious why you would go to the roof for your carryout? Both satellite inputs are duplicated in the convenience center by the water valves. Maybe you are laying your carryout on the roof?

You should have 2 satellite inputs in the convenience center, one going to each TV.

Hopefully you downloaded the wiring diagram on my post above!?
Old 09-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #129

Hey Atom Ant. You are a frequent poster on this forum.... Any guidance on my post this morning? Do you know what I need to test the wall jacks to see which jack is actually park cable?
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #130
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker View Post
Recently acquired the 2013 38BR I have posted about. Yay! As we sat up on first trip, I connected park cable. No tv channels. Raised antenna and received some channels. Don't have sat yet,so am I doing something wrong outside of connecting coax to the "cable in" at UDC? Confirmed that what I receive is truly antenna feed by lowering antenna and lost signal. Also disabled antenna boost and lost signal. Gotta be something simple. On backside of LR tv I am connected to the wall input on the bottom input. I cannot determine anything on BR set because I can't even pull it out to check connections.... Is that normal? Surely one may have to replace a tv one day and would need to have access to bracket right? Any pearls of wisdom would be great!

Your problem is an easy fix.....connect the cable to the lowest connection in the service bay. There should be 3 connections in there. Then turn off the antenna booster. Your cable will work fine like this. Just remember to turn on the booster anytime you're using the antenna.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #131

I went there because I have tried every other configuration to get the satellite to work in my bedroom. I don't want to watch the save TV station my wife does so I assumed, I could hook up a new Directv box in the bedroom but it did not work. I turned the booster off, I moved the cable to the top of the coach, I even tried to hook up the satellite to the second satellite port near the dump station…..NOTHING worked.

The only thing I have behind the Living room TV is One gray and One orange. Above the living room TV, I have one orange with no tape, one with once piece of tape and the other with two pieces of tape.

I have downloaded the diagram and it does nothing for me.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Dave,

I'm curious why you would go to the roof for your carryout? Both satellite inputs are duplicated in the convenience center by the water valves. Maybe you are laying your carryout on the roof?

You should have 2 satellite inputs in the convenience center, one going to each TV.

Hopefully you downloaded the wiring diagram on my post above!?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #132

Dave,
you might try a signal sounder to trace the cables - rent or buy. Somewhere in there, you should have a cable direct from the side compartment to the living room, and another direct from the side to the bedroom. Those are the only two you need for the satellite. The rest can stay hooked up like they are. Booster has nothing to do with it.

Have you tried just setting up the carry out, receivers and TVs without using the Redwood to make sure your equipment works?
Old 10-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #133

Does anyone know or have the wiring diagram for the speaker wiring on the home thearter system. I see in the back of the unit there are white wires with a purple color coding line. In the bedroom there is an electrical box with what appears to be the same wires tapped up with black tape and a solid black wall plate on the box. Likewise in the living ares behind the recliner is the same. Have ask CrossRoads contact the same however no reply, did not see this anywhere else on the forum. Looking to add some extra speakers to accomodate those already in the ceiling.
Thanks
RW36RL 2014
Pullrite 18K Autoslide
Mega Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:18 AM   #134

Wow! That would be great if it was already wired for extra speakers. Would love to have music in the bedroom. The wires aren't the same for all rigs. I had to replace the first stereo with the replacement LG blu-Ray player and had to test each wire to hook them up right. Same with our friends rig.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #135

The DirecTV tech showed up and delivered my Genie and two Genie minis. I had him install and set up all three in the house, because he couldn't install them in my RW 38RE. Anyway, I set up the Genie in the living room, one in the bedroom and the last outside where my TV resides in that compartment towards the rear. The only one I can't get to work is the outdoor TV. I found where the antenna/cable and power cord hook up inside the coach. Where do I hook up the satellite cable that I have hooked up to the Genie mini?
Thanks!
-Jack

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn
2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
RAMN8TER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #136

Unfortunately, sounds like your installer was the issue

our directv works perfectly in the rv - and we have wired receivers...
How about swapping yours out for the wireless genie's ?

then it shouldn't be an issue... good luck !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #137

I can't answer on your model, but on mine the outside TV is fed from the bedroom TV - so that is where I put the Dish splitter for the two Joeys. I had to pull the ceiling light to get access to Redwoods splitter to remove it and feed the outside TV with Dish.

All the HD antenna wiring stayed as is, and serves all the TVs

Old 10-07-2014, 12:28 AM   #138

On our RL we have the outside tv and the coax feeds from the factory are great. Each tv has a joey and the hopper goes in the bedroom. System works great and we get a superb hd picture on all 3 sets. We also have the roof mounted traveler.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #139

I want to thank all of you for your assistance! It looks as though, AA, that the "Joey" is similar to the "Mini Genie" that DirecTV has. It looks as though I have some work to do in order to get my outside TV to receive satellite. That's ok as our inaugural outing will be for 10 days very soon.
-Jack

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn
2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
RAMN8TER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #140

I went with the cheap and easy method to get satellite on my outside TV. There is a "jumper" coax that runs in between the bedroom and the outside TV....I purchased an RCA to Coax modulator fom Walmart for $12. I then connected the modulator to the RCA output on the bedroom receiver which then converts signal to coax and sends it through the jumper cable to outside TV over coax. My thoughts were that we would never be watching TV in the bedroom at the same time as being outside..??... The only caveat is that if you are going to use the OTA antenna, you need to move the coax from one port to the other in the hutch in the dining room that feeds the outside TV. Confusing? Not really once you understand how the cables are run.

You actually can watch both bedroom and outside TVs but will be on the same channel
trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote