Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #1

Sagging TV Mount

My 38HRL has a side entertainment center with a 40" TV. It has a single arm mount from the right side to allow access to the shelf area behind. The TV is sagging in the opening due to wear in the pivot points. The mount seems to be made from a soft steel which is allowing the pivot shoulder bolts to wear the holes.

I imagine that this is a common problem in all similar RW products. Does anyone have a successful fix for this?
Old 07-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #2

Same problem on 2016 38 RL. It's on my list for the rally.
rickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:18 PM   #3

Let us know what the factory fix is. I hope they have an upgraded mount we can get.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:18 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I remounted the latch so the TV lifts a bit on the left side. Is still doing great
Old 07-02-2016, 08:06 PM   #5

I just loosen the main bolt on hanger, have my wife pick up end of TV until level and tighten again, works for about three months,
I like your idea Shane.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:57 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Those cheap plastic bushings on the right side wear out quick. Another thing you may want to do is add a velcro strap that goes around the TV that screws into the cabinet to hold it in case the latch comes undone while traveling . I installed one after replacing the TV because it swung open while travelling and cracked the screen
Old 07-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

MY Fix

Thanks for all the posts. It seems that there are several types of swing arm mounts used by RW; mine was a straight rectangular arm with pivots at the ends (See attached photos)
When I disassembled my mount I found that the shoulder bolts were too short so that the arm was pivoting on the threaded portion at the lower end causing quick wear of the hole. Also there was no vertical support provided by the latching mechanism, so when traveling the TV was bouncing on the mount. My fix was to ream out the mounting holes to 1/2" and install 1/2" x 3 1/2" cap head shoulder bolts. The longer shoulder extends through the pivots so all rotation is on the machined shaft not the threads. I then constructed two wooden spacer blocks on the shelf area beneath the TV. Now when the TV is pushed to the lock position the TV cabinet rides up on the blocks and the TV is fully supported taking the load off of the TV mount arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4719_1.JPG (93.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4724_1.JPG (69.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4727_1.JPG (92.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4726_1.JPG (107.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie16 View Post
Thanks for all the posts. It seems that there are several types of swing arm mounts used by RW; mine was a straight rectangular arm with pivots at the ends (See attached photos)
When I disassembled my mount I found that the shoulder bolts were too short so that the arm was pivoting on the threaded portion at the lower end causing quick wear of the hole. Also there was no vertical support provided by the latching mechanism, so when traveling the TV was bouncing on the mount. My fix was to ream out the mounting holes to 1/2" and install 1/2" x 3 1/2" cap head shoulder bolts. The longer shoulder extends through the pivots so all rotation is on the machined shaft not the threads. I then constructed two wooden spacer blocks on the shelf area beneath the TV. Now when the TV is pushed to the lock position the TV cabinet rides up on the blocks and the TV is fully supported taking the load off of the TV mount arm.
Thanks for "The Fix" - Mine has been sagging a little when closed (not square in the opening) and guess I need to look at my bolts. I do like the wood blocks under the TV to take the load off of the bracket and lock. Thanks again!!
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote