Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 03:18 AM   #41
lwg

Would love more info. Also, I'm not 100% sure that you won't need some sort of trim plate if changing from Bauer back to RV Lock which was originally used on the Redwoods.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:38 AM   #42

Don't have the Bauer lock, I have the RV lock & just heard today ( after a couple of weeks of back & forth emails) that they are shipping me the new 4.0 version. I won't have a chance to install til next month, but will post my opinion when it's done, if someone else gets it first let know what you think.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #43

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
I emailed Bauer the other night and they responded the next morning.
They are shipping us two new locks (we have a RW 38FL with two entry doors)
They also offered to key both locks alike which will be nice to only need one key for both doors.
Guess I will see if the new locks work better than the current ones.
Will update the forum once we get them next week.
I received the 2 new Bauer Locks last week, replaced / installed them in both of our doors.
With the new locks installed the rear entrance door (which we do not use very often) worked great, the main entrance door still had issues when closed but worked great when open.
Upon further investigation, I found the pocket depth in the wall at the main entrance door strike plate was very shallow and the lock / dead bolt was bottoming out in the pocket.
I made the strike plate pocket in the wall deeper so the latch and deadbolt would not bottom out on the wall and now the new Bauer Locks work great.

I followed their instruction on how to wake up the keypad by running my finger down on the right side of the buttons on the face of the lock first then enter my code and so far the door lock as locked and unlocked perfectly every time.

Also, having both doors keyed alike now is great, one less key to carry around and now I have 4 entry door keys since both locks were supplied with 2 new keys each..
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #44
lwg

Quote:
I received the 2 new Bauer Locks last week, replaced / installed them in both of our doors.
With the new locks installed the rear entrance door (which we do not use very often) worked great, the main entrance door still had issues when closed but worked great when open.
Upon further investigation, I found the pocket depth in the wall at the main entrance door strike plate was very shallow and the lock / dead bolt was bottoming out in the pocket.
I made the strike plate pocket in the wall deeper so the latch and deadbolt would not bottom out on the wall and now the new Bauer Locks work great.

I followed their instruction on how to wake up the keypad by running my finger down on the right side of the buttons on the face of the lock first then enter my code and so far the door lock as locked and unlocked perfectly every time.

Also, having both doors keyed alike now is great, one less key to carry around and now I have 4 entry door keys since both locks were supplied with 2 new keys each..
I plan on calling Bauer today about mine. I need to investigate the death of the deadbolt hole in mine as this sounds similar to one of my doors. The back door on mine is also missing the top screw that's in the door jam side of the door, thus the whole handle assembly tends to slip down as it's not supported on the top. Apparently came from the factory like this...
Old 08-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #45

As we are on to our 5th Bauer lock (2 doors 0n our 36FL), I am considering getting the RVlock 3.0 or 4.0 version. As they both have wireless entry, can anyone explain the benefit(s) of additionally having a keypad? There is quite a difference in price.

p.s.) I emailed RVLock for dimensions to make sure their locks will cover the unpainted door area left behind by the Bauer.
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #46
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbound View Post

p.s.) I emailed RVLock for dimensions to make sure their locks will cover the unpainted door area left behind by the Bauer.
Let me know if they'll cover. I really like that RVLock is entirely metal, seems like its a bit more substantial and secure of the plastic Bauer Locks. I can attest first hand that a locked Bauer lock (not the deadbolt) can fairly easily be overcome with a strong pull. It's just not very secure...

Also I talked to Bauer this morning and I have to run through a bunch of test procedures and see if they work. I expect utter failure but will do it anyways just in case it works.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #47

Ok so I guess I have the Bauer lock since it seems that most of the new redwoods come with that. I'm interested as well and wait to see if it will cover the existing space aswell
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRAKOWITZ View Post
Ok so I guess I have the Bauer lock since it seems that most of the new redwoods come with that. I'm interested as well and wait to see if it will cover the existing space aswell
Will let you know when i hear back from them re: dimensions.
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:30 AM   #49

I have been using our new Bauer Locks a number of times every day, they have been working perfect !!!

Old 08-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #50

Mine works for me every time - just me. Wife can't get it to work at all and it has become funny, even though she is very frustrated.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #51

Good to hear !!!

I just got a call from Bauer and they asked me my key number to send out the latest lock revision....

he said they are at least months away from a key fob,
but the new locks are sized such that the electronics will be able to be updated to allow the key fob...

I've always said it's not what happens, but how a company reacts to what happens and in this case Bauer has reacted well !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #52

Quote:
I have been using our new Bauer Locks a number of times every day, they have been working perfect !!!
Same here I have the Bauer NE lock and its been great still on the original batteries.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #53

The only problem I have on the Bauer batteries is the cover is not very tight, and if the door slams in the wind the batteries move and disconnect momentarily. When that happens, the code resets to default and you are starting all over again.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #54
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
The only problem I have on the Bauer batteries is the cover is not very tight, and if the door slams in the wind the batteries move and disconnect momentarily. When that happens, the code resets to default and you are starting all over again.
Bingo! I've noticed this as well.

Consequently I just got off the phone with Bauer and their sending me two new locksets (keyed alike) to replace my faulty units. I'm hoping they work as designed this time as I'd love to not take keys when walking the dogs twice a day!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Bingo! I've noticed this as well.

Consequently I just got off the phone with Bauer and their sending me two new locksets (keyed alike) to replace my faulty units. I'm hoping they work as designed this time as I'd love to not take keys when walking the dogs twice a day!
Make sure the wall pocket in the strike plate area is deep enough for the door lock deadbolt to fully extend without bottoming out.

Since I replaced our locks with the new ones Bauer sent me and made the main entry strike plate pocket deeper, they have worked perfectly every time.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #56
Traveling

One more Kudos to the Bauer folks. I emailed support about our lock and it was courteously answered within an hour! Within minutes they emailed me and let me know that they had already shipped me a new lock and thanked me for contacting them. Can't ask for better support than that!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #57

Same fast response I got from them.

New locks are still working perfectly every time.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #58

Todd, is the new lock redesigned or is it the same?
Old 08-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #59
Traveling

Not sure yet. All they told me was they are "constantly working to improve this lock". I hope that means that the one I get will be improved over the one I have. It has a broken gear inside. The key works, though the lock feels very "loose" and there is a crunching feeling inside, clearly not right. I'll post any changes if they are discernible.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #60

The new locks I received from Bauer look the same, but perform better.