Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 05:02 AM   #1

Rustic Cherry stain. Trying to match.

Has anyone ever matched the stain on the rustic cherry cabinets and trim? We have the 2015 31SL. If so, what brand and the name, or was it a custom match, which I may have to do. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #2

When we changed out our fridge, we had to create a match for the trim also. I believe my wife did it using multiple layers of different colors. When she returns from her vacation, I will check with her.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #3

We have a kit from MinWax. There are three or four color "pens". You start with the lightest and work your way up to a darker color until the original is matched. Just did some touch up yesterday and it came out surprisingly well.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #4

DW recoated the dining table top & dresser top in the bedroom & used Minwax stain with urethane in Pecan color, it may be just a tad darker, but both look very good. Don't know that I would use that color for just touch up, but if covering a large surface I think I would have to point it out for anyone to notice.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #5

I am not at home right now but have a can of the same stain used by the factory. Send me an email (coljdm60@gmail.com) and I will send you all of the information. As I recall it was pricey for a quart but looks good. I refinished the kitchen table top as well as the two end tables in the living room. Plan to do it again shortly (Grand Kids and Dogs, what can I say!!)
Old 11-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #6

It is hell getting old, would have this sooner if I remembered. Here is more information from the label:

Wiping Stain, Praline/Butternut, QSTPR
Manufactured by: RPM Wood Finishes Group, Inc, Hudson NC
Their website is www.rpmwfg.com; The website for the stain can be found on their site or try www.mowhawk-finishing.com
Phone number is 828-261-0325 toll free number 800-545-0047. I went on the mowhawk site and searched for the stain, could not get a positive result but I could have not conducted the search properly.

Normally a couple of coats, hand applied pretty well matches the wood in the coach. I use a combination of finishes, on the stair trim, I used a wax finish for the one piece that joins the stairs to the carpet, for the table tops, I use clear acrylic (6 coats all hand sanded) for other areas I use an acrylic satin finish. Whatever finish you use is purely up to your personal preference.