Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #41

We just heard from Redwood warranty department... They will not cover any of the roof issues. They told us it falls under "owner maintenance". We have screws coming through the roofing material and wrinkling throughout the roof. The shop that Redwood sent us to said we need a new roof and the screws coming up on the slides also need to be addressed. I just can't imagine how this is not covered or that they can say it is owner maintenance. Not sure what our next steps will be. It really didn't dawn on us that this would be a fight with RW.

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #42
Site Team

Having a 2014 that already needs a roof??? NOPE! Scream louder and if that doesn't work hire some help
Old 03-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #43

How can it be owner maintenance? About all we can do is wash it every once in a while, and some warranties criticize you for that!

I don't even know who you call anymore - Kathy?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #44

I am not giving up. I think getting Kathy involved might help. I wasn't clear on her roll after Christian left. But you are right, Dave... a new roof on a 2014 is ridiculous. I told RW I want a very detailed explanation of why they think it is owner maintenance. I didn't realize we were responsible for checking under the roof for screws that are coming up or iron out our own wrinkles. Sorry for the sarcasm. I am just angry about the whole thing.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #45

Anyone and everyone that will pick up the phone and or listen..

Start with Kathy , and keep on going UP

Perhaps Rob can help?? He just was ok'd a whole new roof late last year.....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #46

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
George
That is absolute BS. I would be screaming like a half cut Banshee. I would start with Kathy. Also try Chris Griffin in crossroads customer service he has been helpful to me. I would then start going up the ladder
Old 03-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #47

Like most of us that have had major warranty issues we have been told no to start and have to yell to get things done. It is sad that we have to take so much action to get things fixed correctly. I think the idea is if they say no most of the time people go away and pay to have it fixed. Lovely business model RW has going. Been really considering trading ours in and going back to the MH.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:59 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Life View Post
I am not giving up. I think getting Kathy involved might help. I wasn't clear on her roll after Christian left. But you are right, Dave... a new roof on a 2014 is ridiculous. I told RW I want a very detailed explanation of why they think it is owner maintenance. I didn't realize we were responsible for checking under the roof for screws that are coming up or iron out our own wrinkles. Sorry for the sarcasm. I am just angry about the whole thing.
WOW wouldn't that be a great business model! Build what looks great........ promise high quality....... and blame the person that bought the product when you obviously build it wrong.

I believe Redwood badgers their customers into compliance. I sure don't miss the dance

How in the world can they claim "lack of maintenance" for screws coming up from under the roofing material that they put on the coach. I don't remember seeing anything in the warranty stating "owner must remove roofing material once a year and re-tighten the screws holding the decking to the roof joist" and then re-secure said roofing material.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:15 PM   #49

It just keeps getting better. Jesse (not sure his title) just called. He said these screws didn't just start coming up. If we (the owner) had been doing the appropriate maintenance, we would have known this was happening. He said the structure is only the main aluminum frame; any screws coming up are not the structure. He said "there is no way this is warranty".

Didn't Andy say at the rally last year: "We stand behind our 5th wheel. If you are one of the lucky ones with the 5 year warranty, we will take care of you."

Old 03-15-2016, 10:30 PM   #50

Quote:
It just keeps getting better. Jesse (not sure his title) just called. He said these screws didn't just start coming up. If we (the owner) had been doing the appropriate maintenance, we would have known this was happening. He said the structure is only the main aluminum frame; any screws coming up are not the structure. He said "there is no way this is warranty".

Didn't Andy say at the rally last year: "We stand behind our 5th wheel. If you are one of the lucky ones with the 5 year warranty, we will take care of you."
Ah, we are back to the "you should have noticed it earlier" like the old inspect the bearings at 200 miles or no warranty trick.

Andy is building pontoon boats now, and there is no one left that made that commitment at the Rally. All the "we" have been sent down the road. Maybe time for a lawyer.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #51

Quote:

Keep going all the way up the corporate business ladder and document either with e-mails or hand written notes with dates, times, and who you talked to and how the conversation went. To me, structure is everything Redwood had to put together, including walls, caps, roof, floor etc. One of the reasons I purchased a Redwood was because it advertised one of the best warranties in the business. During my 2 year warranty, I asked everyone I talked to to please send me documentation stating exactly what was covered under the 5 year structural warranty and could never get anything in writing. No one wanted to commit to anything but Redwood didn't have any problem plastering it on the side of my coach by the door.

I smell a possible lawyer hiring if not resolved. If this continues with all the owners with a 5 year structural warranty, we need to get some kind of notice in writing as to where Redwood stands.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:

If you had the 5 year warranty when your unit was built, they have no choice but to back up the warranty. A company has to grandfather in changes to a warranty.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:38 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
If you had the 5 year warranty when your unit was built, they have no choice but to back up the warranty. A company has to grandfather in changes to a warranty.
X2, but seeing in writing what was covered is impossible.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #54

Andy said in the rally there were enough loop holes in the 5 year warranty that he never had to fix anything. I surrendered on Redwood and their phony warranty a couple of years ago.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #55

I said it before and I'll say it again, I've done a tremendous amount of work myself to resolve "warranty" issues. When you think you've seen it all from Redwood, they punch you in the face again. We've already made plans to move on up when we wear out this RV. RW will never see my repeat business; never.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:54 PM   #56

Page 6 of our owners manual does specify some of the structure but I don't think it would be the entire list........."This limited warranty extends from such date for any structural defects, which is defined as the sub ceiling, subfloor, or side wall sagging, warping, rotting or breaking loose. Structural defects also include wiring harness shorts, but does not include blown fuses, light bulbs, TVs, radios or other electrical equipment." I would think sub roofing would be structural.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #57

Page 6 may help... It may be a boxing match now. I even have gotten our dealer involved now. I'm rattling every cage I can. I think they made it worse by saying it is our fault! The dealer warranty guy said he couldn't believe they said that with a straight face.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:21 PM   #58

Quote:
Page 6 may help... It may be a boxing match now. I even have gotten our dealer involved now. I'm rattling every cage I can. I think they made it worse by saying it is our fault! The dealer warranty guy said he couldn't believe they said that with a straight face.
I can't emphasize enough how Redwood need to honor "THEIR" warranty. I went through this 2 years ago and was so frustrated that I considered a lawyer. I final call to the Redwood General Manager (Jim Lazzarino) at the time, solved all my issues and Redwood ended up
transporting my 31sl back to their service center for the repairs. We should not have to threaten legal action to get warranty work done or to get them to agree that it should be repaired under their warranty. Another area you may look into is the "Magnum Moss Warranty Act of 1975." I was checking in to that when my problems were resolved. I thank a fellow forum member for guiding me to that.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:25 PM   #59

I take great pride in being very cordial with anyone I'm dealing with on matters of concern but once you are put off over and over and you start feeling helpless, look out, I force the issue. They advertised that warranty, not me, if they had no intention of honoring it then they would have had to inform me of such in writing. Sales resulted from their advertised warranty. OK I'll calm down now...........just sayin!!!!
Old 03-15-2016, 11:37 PM   #60

Don't calm down on our account. I appreciate this advise and encouragement to keep pressing. We absolutely were swayed by the 5 year warranty on the RW. So far I have been calm but determined with them. I told Jesse I was not done with this conversation. The whole thing is wrong on so many levels. It is such a bad business decision, RV owners talk and make decisions based on others' experiences.