Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

We just started a leak in the living room part of our 34SK. It dripped from the ceiling seam molding that goes across that last section of our ceiling. Has anyone else had a leak there? We are wondering if the A/C right above might have a bolt that isn't tightened securely? We've had our RW 14 months & rain many other times, although last night it was a strong driving rain coming from front left direction of our RV.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #2

We've had our 36RL about a year. About a month ago we had a real hard driving rain and had a drip in the same spot that you described. I took the cover off the a/c and couldn't find any definite spot that I could say was leaking, but took some self leveling caulk and did any place that I thought was a possibility. We've had several rains since then, and no problem. I'll just have to wait and see if it ever happens again.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Site Team

I would get on the roof and check around the a/c unit. Nothing destroys an rv faster than a water leak.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #4

Update - we just had a local RV company come & look at it. They found an area on the roof at the rear A/C where it has probably been leaking for a while when it rains. We're going to contact our dealer (Kittsmiller) in the Lansing MI first thing Monday morning & see what is the best way to proceed - to either take it there or possibly to the factory. We're headed back to our home in FL July 7, returning in 3 1/2 weeks, so hopefully it can be repaired during that time.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #5

A follow up question - does anyone know if repairs are still made right at the factory or did we hear something about a Crossroads facility there?
Old 06-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Site Team

yes there is still a service center that takes care of the Redwoods but it's not at the factory anymore. I believe it's at Cross Roads.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #7

Under the Redwood RV Product section of the main page of this forum, there is a thread on the Crossroads Service Center.

I'd be worried about the dry rot and mold. Good luck getting it fixed.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #8

July 1 update - Tim called Crossroads Service Center first thing this morning. The person he spoke with was very professional & understanding but explained they are booked now until towards the end of August, since it sounds like they will need to replace our roof when they do all of the repairs. He was very helpful & called our person at Kittsmiller in Mason MI where we purchased our RW. We are taking it there this coming Saturday. They will do a temporary fix to stop the leak until we take it to Crosroads later this summer or fall for the complete repair. Thanks everyone for your comments & suggestions!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytfl
July 1 update - Tim called Crossroads Service Center first thing this morning. The person he spoke with was very professional & understanding but explained they are booked now until towards the end of August, since it sounds like they will need to replace our roof when they do all of the repairs. He was very helpful & called our person at Kittsmiller in Mason MI where we purchased our RW. We are taking it there this coming Saturday. They will do a temporary fix to stop the leak until we take it to Crosroads later this summer or fall for the complete repair. Thanks everyone for your comments & suggestions!
Thanks for keeping us informed. It sounds like they're treating you right.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #10

A follow-up to our roof situation - while our RV was at the dealer, they determined that a temporary fix wouldn't be good, so Redwood authorized a complete roof replacement, which was done there at our dealer. The work was completed satisfactorily in about two weeks, so all is well!! Again, we're very happy Redwood owners!
Old 08-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #11

Our roof will be replaced next month. All from a tiny hole over where the dish wires come out of the roof. Will keep you posted.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #12

Our roof will be replaced while at the factory in September.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #13

Ouch -I am officially scared now !

Had an rv with an unseen leak years ago - only way we found out about it was when the delamination started --- never made it inside where we could see it, only down the walls !!!!
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
lwg

This issue can happen with any RV. Unless there's a some practice from the factory accidentally causing holes in the roof I would suspect that Redwood wouldn't have any more instances of failure over any other brand.
lwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #15

I must say that after crawing all over my roof with the MY tech I have never seen such a sensitive membrane. I feel that if anything hits it the wrong way you will cause damage. My little hole in the roof was bearly visable except for the rippeling of the plywood? roofing substrait. The small hole (like a phillips head) caused an almost three foot area to lift with these little rippels of mysterywood with no damage as yet on the inside because we sealed hole till the roof gets replalced on my dime. After almost a year it's hard to place blame. However I never used a screw driver on the roof. Anyway next month it's being repaced with a pvc membrane.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
Site Team

I really think there needs to be a better roofing system for these RVs. I think if I had to replace mine I'd try the rhino liner product that a few companies are using. Peterson corp. has a youtube video about them trying it.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #17

Are leaky roofs the most common problem in RVs?
pipeliner798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #18

We got our new GK home and 3 days later after a rain, found water on the island and the floor. We never could figure out exactly where it was coming from. We had a tech look at it and he saw nothing visible. So, we waited. Another couple of small rains, no leaks. Then a BIG rain. We had 3 small containers full of water 2 different times. Couldn't get anyone out to look at it because it wouldn't stop raining. Once is was dry enough we had a tech come out and look again. Remember we don't have a tow vehicle yet. When he took the ac off, he found several screw holes. Looked like they place the screw holes and then changed their mind on placement. Once they made the move, they never filled in the open holes and the water was just pouring through the screw holes. Tech filled the holes and now we wait for the next big rain to see if that was the only issue. Tech also said it looked dry and he didn't think it would cause any issues. I will always be scared that mold will appear. Fingers crossed!!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #19

Went out tonight after a good rain and have water on the floor between island and dining table ,best guess is came thru AC air return seraight above puddle. Also have water dripping thru antenna crank, guess will be pulling cover off of AC and checking for the dreaded holes others on the forum have found. Not sure on the antenna leak as caulking looks good there.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #20

Check the cable boot on the antenna at the roof. Mine came lose and had water get in that way. Simple fix on that one.