Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 10:59 PM   #21

IMO, that's an adhesive or moisture problem. Either adhesive was spread too thin or dried before TPO material was applied. I've read that TPO (thermoplastic olefin) or ethylene propylene rubber is being used by more and more RV manufacturers because it is more "green" and cheaper. But that said, if it's the right thickness, it has more benefits than EPDM. Nowhere have I read that bubbles are "normal". TPO roofs are generally more durable if thick enough (the thickness should be a minimum 11 mm thick, but best is over 20 mm). Don't know what RW uses. I've read that TPO membranes also are more resistant to dirt, bacteria, algae and debris build-up and are more reflective to the sun's heat and are more energy efficient. The flexibility of the membrane should make it more highly resistant to tears, punctures and impact damage. Moreover, a TPO roof can withstand damaging ultraviolet, ozone and chemical exposure. In the end, regardless how good the product or product thickness, installation outweighs everything else.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #22

Thanks Joe, I will take pics and send, I will tell Tom hi for you also, thanks for the info, I am feeling like my old self most of the time now, so I guess I'm getting better, how are you recovering from your earlier surgery?
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #23

I will do just like Joe did and get mine documented also, I don't see what can be done other than that, and I'm sure if roof fails in future after warranty runs out, depending on amount of time owned, they will more than likely play the pro rate game with us, but at least we will have documentation of problem from several owners.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
Thanks Joe, I will take pics and send, I will tell Tom hi for you also, thanks for the info, I am feeling like my old self most of the time now, so I guess I'm getting better, how are you recovering from your earlier surgery?

Glad to hear you are feeling better Jeff , I am back to 100% finally..... and darn glad I am !
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
While on the roof this weekend , I noticed the bubbles.... I have never had bubbles before , some of them are 8"-9" in length . .

Joe, just another observation - that lap sealant does not look correct. It should not stand up like that around your roof fixtures, it should lay down and feather out to the roof. It almost looks like someone ran a bead of non-leveling lap sealant around all of your original sealant. Did you have work done on your roof, or is it possible they did that during an annual at the Dealership?

I may just have bad eyesight, but I think it should look like this (our factory Redwood seals)

PS - Although its not severe, that roof should not bubble in the middle of an underlayment sheet. Sometimes they will where the underlayment sheets mate together because they shift and expand a bit, but yours are nowhere near a joint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Sensar IV Antenna-002.jpg (137.5 KB, 7 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Joe, just another observation - that lap sealant does not look correct. It should not stand up like that around your roof fixtures, it should lay down and feather out to the roof. It almost looks like someone ran a bead of non-leveling lap sealant around all of your original sealant. Did you have work done on your roof, or is it possible they did that during an annual at the Dealership?

I may just have bad eyesight, but I think it should look like this (our factory Redwood seals)

PS - Although its not severe, that roof should not bubble in the middle of an underlayment sheet. Sometimes they will where the underlayment sheets mate together because they shift and expand a bit, but yours are nowhere near a joint.
Brad , the trailer was delivered to me from Redwood last July with no dealer work on the roof since.. whatever is up there , came from the factory.
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #27
Site Team

Joe,

I think this would worry me a little.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
Brad , the trailer was delivered to me from Redwood last July with no dealer work on the roof since.. whatever is up there , came from the factory.
I think I would send some picks to Redwood, and maybe to Alpha and ask if that is normal (sealant - in addition to bubbles). It looks like cauliflower around those vents - as if the sealant beaded up away from the roof, or something like that. I could be as simple as they put it on in the cold, or they used non-leveling sealant. Either way I would want to remove and replace.

Again, I can only zoom in, you have the advantage of a close inspection.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #29

Guess we all need to take pics and post, maybe we will find a problem in their process.. Thanks for sharing your photos.

I will go look at mine today and post later..
Old 10-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #30

I posted my roof issues under What Did You Add to Your Redwood Today last month.
I had issues with the front and rear cap joints... all the caulking was cracking and the dealer just added more new over the old issues.
This summer during the Rally I noticed cracks and bubbles developing in the caulk due to the heat.
Both caps were repainted due to severe fading 2 years ago. When I got home and removed the caulking I found gaps up to 1/4" between the trim and the roof membrane on the front cap. Most of the screws were stripped or broken and some were rusted. This damage may be from the 3rd party vendor who would have removed all the caulk to repaint.
Glad I caught this when I did... I was on the brink of severe damage in the front cap that would have been very hard to repair.

Photos posted in an album on this site.. 38BR Roof Repairs
Old 10-24-2016, 09:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax View Post
I posted my roof issues under What Did You Add to Your Redwood Today last month.
I had issues with the front and rear cap joints... all the caulking was cracking and the dealer just added more new over the old issues.
This summer during the Rally I noticed cracks and bubbles developing in the caulk due to the heat.
Both caps were repainted due to severe fading 2 years ago. When I got home and removed the caulking I found gaps up to 1/4" between the trim and the roof membrane on the front cap. Most of the screws were stripped or broken and some were rusted. This damage may be from the 3rd party vendor who would have removed all the caulk to repaint.
Glad I caught this when I did... I was on the brink of severe damage in the front cap that would have been very hard to repair.

Photos posted in an album on this site.. 38BR Roof Repairs
Don't be so sure that the 3rd party painter would've removed the caulk to paint. I had my front cap painted and I made sure that the caulk was not messed with. He assured me that they do not remove any of the caulking when painting the cap. They did a beautiful paint job and they painted up to the caulk. The paint may have gone over the caulk very little in a couple of places but the integrity of the caulk stayed factory original. So far so good. That was almost 2 years ago.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #32

When I removed the caulk I could see no clear indication of where gelcoat ended and paint started. If the caulk was indeed left undisturbed when the painting was done, then the issues with the roof seams have been there since it left the factory. I asked the dealer to check the roof seams while the unit was under warranty and they informed me there were no issues but they had added additional caulking which is clearly seen in the photos before I removed it all.