Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #21

When they replaced the long blind at the back of our 36 RL the mounting brackets they sent to replace the old ones were much heavier! Thank you Redwood we are so glad to replace that sheet with a blind! The blind broke when the equalizer broke ( we think) Anyway on our maiden voyage early this summer it broke the first night out.
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #22

Me too Dave. I have the nice pleated old style and always travel with them down. Also keep them down whenever not in use to keep sun from fading bedspreads, carpet, etc.

The new ones are so thick & heavy. I don't think the new ones look good either up or down. Progress...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #23

I have a 2012 36RL. I guess it has the old blinds. We have only had ours since May and have had no probs, but I'll start traveling with them up. Thanks for the info.
TexasRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
Me too Dave. I have the nice pleated old style and always travel with them down. Also keep them down whenever not in use to keep sun from fading bedspreads, carpet, etc.

The new ones are so thick & heavy. I don't think the new ones look good either up or down. Progress...

Mike..........I have always made sure that our pleated night shades are pulled down when we travel. I figured that they might help keep the trailer a little cooler that way. So far in nearly 14000 miles from Florida to Colorado to Washington state and back, we haven't had any problems.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:55 AM   #25

Hum...they told us the shades sould always be in the up position when we travel. We do not have the pleated shades.....don't know if that makes a difference.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #26

We had pleated Day / Night shades in our last 5th Wheel and we always traveled with them down.
In our RW we have the Day / Night roller shades, due to the aluminum bar at the bottom of the shade, I think it is a bad idea to travel with the roller shades down, the bar would just bang around and have more or a tendency to get the roller mount loose and fall.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #27

I think it's mostly the weight. The roller shades are heavier and some have even had the shade unglue from the roller when traveling in hot weather.

It seems like pleated shades up or down & roller shades up when traveling.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #28
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
Mike..........I have always made sure that our pleated night shades are pulled down when we travel. I figured that they might help keep the trailer a little cooler that way. So far in nearly 14000 miles from Florida to Colorado to Washington state and back, we haven't had any problems.

Guy
Same here. Can't imagine how much "stress" is really being put on the shades when traveling with them down. I like them down when traveling to keep prying eyes from looking inside and to keep the sun from heating up the coach.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:06 AM   #29

Hi all, we have a 36RL (2015) equipped with roller shades. We love them and have hadthe back shad mounting brackets break off like many of you have had happen.
The shade is very heavy for the brackets and since the shade is across the back of the unit, the road bumps break the mounting tabs.
The catches on the brackets are made of plastic (the part that holds the shade) and will not perform well on America's highways. We replaced the brackets and added two additional brackets between the original ones. The allignment is tricky when installing them, but the problem has not happened since the modification.
Be sure that all four brackets latch to the shade track when re-installing the shade and everything should be fine.
Good luck!

Safe Travels
George and Kay
Gegallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:12 AM   #30

Do you have a pic? I'm having a hard time picturing a bracket in the middle of a roller shade.

Would like to add if I can figure it out.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:37 AM   #31

Unfortunately, I did not take pictures when I did the repairs.
The shades are the roller type that have a sunscreen and a room darkening shade roller mounted from each end.
These are the shades installed in the 2014 unit.
The shade has a metal track that runs the full length across the top. That has a small slot cut all the way along the front and back edge. The shade hangs from the slots in the track. The shade rollers are supported at the ends.
RW installs the rear shade with two fixtures screwed to the window frame on "L" brackets that support the shade.
The shade is so heavy that the tabs break off, dropping the shade.
Installing extra brackets adds additional support for that heavy shade.
Hope that helps.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:45 AM   #32

Where did you get the extra brackets from for the Roller Shade?
That is a preventative mod I would like to do before our large rear roller shade comes crashing down.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #33

All I can say about up or down is the filtered black mesh shade that fell off the roller in the bedroom... and this was the smallest shade in the rv

we tried to reinstall,as did the dealer, but no joy !

so he ordered a new one...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #34
lwg

Regarding my comment earlier about how it shouldn't be an issue traveling with the shades down; To be fair I don't have the huge rear window shade as I have a 38BR. So I can't speak to whether or not they should be down in transport.

That being said, I've had a couple of shades come "unglued" thus far. One was removed by my dogs when trying to peer behind it, the other was removed when I pulled it too far down. I have successfully reattached both of them with some effort.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #35

We have had the shades come off the rollers, they do not have much extra material on the rollers.
If you pull the either one of the shades down past the wood trim on the window, it will most likely fall off the roller

Old 11-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #36

In our case, the entire shade assembly fell of because the brackets failed.
We got the replacement brackets from Redwood. The come two to a package and we ordered two packages.
They are not shipped with any screws. As with just about everything in the trailer, the factory uses self tapping screws, so some get stripped out. Act accordingly.
The shade is made by Automotion. The parts
bags did not have a part number on them and the shipping paperwork only listed them as a bracket or hangar. It took a out 6 weeks to get them, so not sure about inventory.
We've had no other problems. It's good to know about over extending the shade on the roller possibly being an issue.
Good luck.
Safe Travels
George and Kay
Old 11-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegallant View Post
They are not shipped with any screws. As with just about everything in the trailer, the factory uses self tapping screws, so some get stripped out. Act accordingly.
George and Kay
Ya, they use the same self tapping screw for the awnings, the tanks, the.....
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:47 AM   #38

blinds

we travel with them up, yes two brackets only I emailed redwood have not herd from them a dealer put them up but fell down 50 miles down the road
ebwtrucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:53 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegallant View Post
Hi all, we have a 36RL (2015) equipped with roller shades. We love them and have hadthe back shad mounting brackets break off like many of you have had happen.
The shade is very heavy for the brackets and since the shade is across the back of the unit, the road bumps break the mounting tabs.
The catches on the brackets are made of plastic (the part that holds the shade) and will not perform well on America's highways. We replaced the brackets and added two additional brackets between the original ones. The allignment is tricky when installing them, but the problem has not happened since the modification.
Be sure that all four brackets latch to the shade track when re-installing the shade and everything should be fine.
Good luck!

Safe Travels
George and Kay
The new bracket sent with the new shade is at least three times heavier than the original bracket. Guess they realize they made a mistake with the original brackets!
Old 11-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #40

Blinds

How did you get them I emailed REDWOOD last week not herd back yet does any one know a phone number to call them
ebwtrucking is offline   Reply With Quote