Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #1

Replacement Speaker for Surround System

I'm a real music lover and am not too impressed with the quality of the OM ceiling speakers. Has anyone found any good quality replacements? All 5 look to be 3" diameter speakers. While I've found other 3" speakers, they all are too deep. Looks like there is only about 3>3.5" to work with between ceiling panel and roof (this is probably why Redwood went with these speakers in the first place).

Thanks all.
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #2

A buddy who has a heartland landmark pulled all his out and on his he was able to carve out the insulation above to fit in his speakers...
different rv, but his sounds awesome....
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #3

I was tired of fighting the factory home theater components, so I bought a Sony Home Receiver and Sony Blu-ray player. This gave me plenty of power and enough HDMI inputs for the DTV receiver, Blu-Ray player & TV. I use the RF remotes to control through the glass panel doors.
I removed the passive sub and replaced with a small Mirage 8" powered Sub in the left cabinet (RL). I disconnected the ceiling Center Channel and replaced it with a Mirage OSS Center Channel speaker below the TV, which I disconnect and store in the right cabinet when traveling.

After searching for new ceiling speakers, I found that with the additional power they sounded "acceptable". If you find better 2.5"s for them, let me know - but it'll be a big job to change them out of those bezels.

This system sounds fantastic, and has a clean "factory installed" look. Try this first...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #4

What came from the factory on yours ?

Ours came with an LG 55" LED TV and an LG 3D Bluray surround system
(sans satellite speakers)

Can't say how well the surround functions - haven't listened to it except 10 secs @ pdi to see if it worked ! but the specs do look lower end ...

And honestly, the 55" tv is great but CLOSE to being too big for the space !
Old 11-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
I was tired of fighting the factory home theater components, so I bought a Sony Home Receiver and Sony Blu-ray player. This gave me plenty of power and enough HDMI inputs for the DTV receiver, Blu-Ray player & TV. I use the RF remotes to control through the glass panel doors.
I removed the passive sub and replaced with a small Mirage 8" powered Sub in the left cabinet (RL). I disconnected the ceiling Center Channel and replaced it with a Mirage OSS Center Channel speaker below the TV, which I disconnect and store in the right cabinet when traveling.

After searching for new ceiling speakers, I found that with the additional power they sounded "acceptable". If you find better 2.5"s for them, let me know - but it'll be a big job to change them out of those bezels.

This system sounds fantastic, and has a clean "factory installed" look. Try this first...
Thanks for the info.. Great idea esp. since you are correct, the ceiling speakers are a pain in the butt to get off and I'd have to buy some pretty high end/expensive speakers with a very low profile (KEF, T-Series, makes an incredible speaker). May need you to talk to my wife at some point 'cause the new receiver with more HDMI inputs and front speaker/sub sounds pretty good. A few of questions:

What does "RF" stand for?
How did you go about removing the sub woofer? I know mine is behind the cabinets but don't have a clue as to how to get back there.
Do you mind if I add you as a "friend" as I may need some more help on this?

Old 11-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
What came from the factory on yours ?

Ours came with an LG 55" LED TV and an LG 3D Bluray surround system
(sans satellite speakers)

Can't say how well the surround functions - haven't listened to it except 10 secs @ pdi to see if it worked ! but the specs do look lower end ...

And honestly, the 55" tv is great but CLOSE to being too big for the space !
Our's came with the same. I can't speak to the quality of the TV or Blue Ray player but 2 HDMI inputs on the TV is pretty marginal given all the new technology (I currently have to switch in and out an XBox and Apple TV and would like to add a DVR at some point).

I did take out one of the ceiling speakers (Pain in the Buttuski!). No model # or even make on them (prob. LG as well) but very light and cheaply made. I think they do an adequate job when listening to TV but to listen to music they fall well short of optimal - I was spoiled in our house with a Definitive Technology Surround system that could get you arrested. I'm not saying I expect to find the same, but somewhere in between those and what I have now would be the goal.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #7

SO far the 2 hdmi inputs are ok with ours...
Have the DVR and Bluray inputs only...

(why they put a 3d bluray without a 3d tv, not sure... but that's ok since I'm not needing 3d yet !)

good luck and keep us informed on your quest !

now u got me going to the storage area to test it
Old 11-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #8

Use RF remotes if your equipment is behind solid cabinet doors because the infrared (optical) controllers won't work unless, of course, you leave the cabinet doors open (Ha Ha). My RL' Entertainment Center has frosted glass doors which work OK with the IR remotes, but the DTV receiver in the bedroom cabinet is behind a wood door and needs RF controller.

The passive sub is mounted behind the fireplace which can be removed with 4 screws. If you opt for a Home Theater receiver, you'll need an active (powered) sub like the one I listed, which uses an RCA connector.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbound View Post
I'm a real music lover and am not too impressed with the quality of the OM ceiling speakers. Has anyone found any good quality replacements? All 5 look to be 3" diameter speakers. While I've found other 3" speakers, they all are too deep. Looks like there is only about 3>3.5" to work with between ceiling panel and roof (this is probably why Redwood went with these speakers in the first place).

Thanks all.
Ian -my first thought was to change them for a Bose system. The Acoustimass 6 & 10 systems have speakers that are about 3"

http://www.bose.ca/controller?url=/s...kers/index.jsp

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
Use RF remotes if your equipment is behind solid cabinet doors because the infrared (optical) controllers won't work unless, of course, you leave the cabinet doors open (Ha Ha). My RL' Entertainment Center has frosted glass doors which work OK with the IR remotes, but the DTV receiver in the bedroom cabinet is behind a wood door and needs RF controller.

The passive sub is mounted behind the fireplace which can be removed with 4 screws. If you opt for a Home Theater receiver, you'll need an active (powered) sub like the one I listed, which uses an RCA connector.
Thanks 5th

Old 11-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
Ian -my first thought was to change them for a Bose system. The Acoustimass 6 & 10 systems have speakers that are about 3"

http://www.bose.ca/controller?url=/s...kers/index.jsp
Thanks Andy/Judi…will look into those further.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #12

I took all of the speaker out of the ceiling and put another puck lighting in where the center speakers was. I purchased some of the those round plastic door knob stops you stick on the wall from Home Depot.

Where the center speaker was there was a piece of the cut out up in the ceiling and I took it to Home Depot and had them match the paint and painted the door stops. I also used the same paint to paint over the nails that were filled on the ceiling trim. It matched exactly. I then placed them over the four holes left in the ceiling. The door stops have double sided sticky foam tape on the back. For the rear speaker I feed the cables over the the edge of the wall and drilled a small hole in the ceiling and mounted the speakers on the wall with the right angle bracket that came with the speakers.

For the rear speakers I used Mirage Nanosat's and mounted them upside down mounted to the side wall.

For the center channel I used Mirage OSł-CC and placed on the desk right under the TV.

I just ran the wires behind the desk and up between the wall. I did not drill a hole. For the two front channel speakers I also placed them on the desk and used the Mirage OMD-5's

For the sub woofer I used a 8" Klipsch powered sub and placed in the same place as the OEM sub woofer.

For the receiver I used a Marantz NR1604.

It is 7.1 surround receiver with multi-room output. So I use the two channels from the multi-room to power outside speakers for music.
The receiver is only 4 9/64" tall so it fits in where the LG receiver was. I placed and LG 3D Blue-Ray player and a Dish network received on the left side and ran the HDMI cable under the desk.

The system sounds awesome for movies and music.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #13

Thanks Ken…much appreciated! Our forum is awesome