Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #1

Replacement parts

Two things...I don't want to muck up coloradolivin's "Vent" thread and it's not my intent to hang Dave (of Dave and Ginny) out to dry, but I'm confused and frustrated by RWs policies on replacement parts.

For instance, Dave mentioned that the square plug is replacing the circle plug for shore power. For as many times as I've been back to the dealer, this change has never been mentioned, or made. And if I'm not mistaken, there have been other references to parts that have been changed out due to repeated failures. I've yet to hear about recall notices so exactly how are folks being made aware of these changes? If RW is making the change for some, why not all? I have a good relationship with my dealer so if these are parts that I can get through the dealer and do the installation myself, I'd be tickled pink to do so. Honestly, it almost appears there's no rhyme or reason as to how these changes are made and I'd hate to think that those of you who take your coaches directly to the service center have a particular advantage over those of us who rely upon our dealer. It suggests that there is a major breakdown in communication between RW and their dealer network.

Am I off base here?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #2

I would think that when you take your unit back to an authorize RW dealer and service center for its annual inspection they should know this and make the changes. I have had my plug already changed one time and they put a round one back on. The only thing RW did on their own was send me a cover for the awning switch.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #3

It may be the dealers that are dropping the ball. I had a ceiling fan that I needed parts for. I went to the dealer I bought the Redwood from for the parts, and was told they were replacing them. Turned the old one in and got a new one. Is it possible that the dealer was supposed to contact me about the replacement but never did. They would have all my information and have to set up replacement . Just a thought.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #4

It might be wishful thinking. Unless there was a written recall, I've never had a Dealer proactively fix anything that wasn't broke. In defense of the Dealer, I don't think the factory pushes retroactive fixes either.

I honestly think that if I asked the Dealer to cut a slit in my siding under the bedroom or to change out the Frigidaire microwave because of known issues, I think the factory would refuse to approve it because they aren't broke yet.

At least in my experience, these rigs are in a constant state of maturity in design with feedback from the field, but there was never any intent to go back and fix what is already on the road. Nothing like the car industry.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #5

This is exactly my point. I've never heard of a dealer proactively fixing something. However, it does seem to occur more often for some of us who are lucky enough to be close to the Service Center.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #6

Kind of sad isn't it. Some of these dealers seem put off just fixing what is broke. Maybe they don't get paid well for warranty work.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #7

Yeah, that's the nature of warranty work. The manufacturer determines a SRT (standard repair time) for a fix. In a lot of cases, that may be fair, but in others, forget it.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:35 AM   #8

Through the years I've had four different 5ers. I've dealt with many dealers, good and bad. I've never been close to a factory repair facility to get repairs done so that has never been an option.

Here's my take on factory repair versus dealer, hypothetically (Redwood or not). I call my dealer for an issue we bring it in. Its the first problem that that dealer has seen. The dealer may be able to get it fixed or if there is trouble they call the factory. If the factory has seen that particular problem they can give them advise on how to do that repair. Other dealers start seeing the same problem and are talking to the factory. Now the factory has multiple calls on a certain repair that needs to be done and they're also seeing them come in the factory.

So, a particular dealer sees one of this certain repair. Another sees 2-3 and on and on and on. The factory is getting calls from all the dealers. The factories getting all the calls and seeing 200 or more (or whatever the number) of the same repair. By this time, the factory techs have gathered a lot of information from many dealers. Also, some dealers haven't had a trailer that needed this repair, yet. No one from the factory lets every dealer know that this certain issue can be coming to a dealer near you. Those dealers look like fools because you, the consumer, have read a forum or heard from a friend that there is a certain issue throughout a bunch of these trailers, yours included.

Point intended; Dealer has more information collected then dealers do. Factories do not have time to convey all information to dealers. Dealers find out information from coming across customer issues and requesting certain repair information from factory techs.

To finalize; IMHO, the factory having built them and collecting the most information has more knowledge and information to do the repair then the dealer does.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #9

But on that same note, the Washer drain hose issue in the RL/RE/BRs has existed since the early days. I thought they had it fixed, but seems to be turning up again.
I think there seems to be way too much Turn-over of personnel so fixes seem to be getting lost along with the quality of Customer Service (Oh to have Brian back).
We have been lucky and only had small issues (except for the washer drain) which have been relayed to the Factory along with photos of the problem and my fix, but seems to have made little to no difference.
If a time comes and we start shopping again (not for a while I hope) we'll widen our search.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote