Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #21

Guess I was fortunate when I had mine fixed, the guy came out on a Tuesday to diagnose the problem, he was back on Friday with the replacement part.

The bigger problem was getting Redwood & Norcold to let me use a mobile tech. Persistence pays!!!
Old 09-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I agree Dave, that is the worst.

I just felt so cheep.......digging ice out of a plastic bag for my Jack
Old 09-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Wait !!!!
The Sonic crushed ice is the BEST part of the jack and coke !!!
And we go through it so fast we don't have time to take it out of the plastic bag
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #24

Forgive me if it has already been answered. I'm researching the residential fridge switch. This pass weekend having neighbors next door with a residential fridge got me to thinking about making the switch. I think the Samsung is preferred in the switch over. My rig did not come with an inverter, and I do not have a gennie. Our rig stays connected from mid March to mid November unless traveling. It is our cabin in the mountains when not moving and we get there most weekends. I would assume I would need an inverter and a move to at least two GC 6-volt batteries to provide backup power. The inverter part is my concern. With the slide out, it would be difficult to wire the inverter to the slide, so I am guessing I would wire it to the power panel and connect the fridge there. Is weight a concern in the slideout? Still researching.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #25

You may or may not need an inverter - really

You will only need it when you are NOT plugged into shore power AND you want to keep things refrigerated...

If you are constantly plugged in
OR
you can live with unloading the fridge to save the food when you aren't plugged in...

then you can bypass the inverter, etc.. and just plug it directly into a 110 circuit (that can handle the draw)

good luck on your decision...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #26

Thanks, that was the thinking as well. Our only issue would be that we aren't there all week long and if we lost campground power there is nothing for backup and if traveling for more than an 8 hour trip, no way to power the fridge. I know, we aren't at home all day in case of a power outage either :-)
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
Thanks, that was the thinking as well. Our only issue would be that we aren't there all week long and if we lost campground power there is nothing for backup and if traveling for more than an 8 hour trip, no way to power the fridge. I know, we aren't at home all day in case of a power outage either :-)
I think if you get a good inverter and a couple of batteries, you should be able to keep the fridge working. Keep in mind, that as long as the door stays closed, even if you did loose power, the batteries should power it for a few days and then it should stay cold for quite a while too once the batteries go dead. I guess you could also look at solar.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #28

Has anyone tried to get the extended warranty on the fridge? I saw an mailer once, but can't find it. I think it was about $450
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #29
lwg

Quote:
I think if you get a good inverter and a couple of batteries, you should be able to keep the fridge working. Keep in mind, that as long as the door stays closed, even if you did loose power, the batteries should power it for a few days and then it should stay cold for quite a while too once the batteries go dead. I guess you could also look at solar.
That's what I'd do, then you get a good charge when going down the road. We regularly get 15-18 amps charge in full sun with our setup. It'd pretty easily keep a res fridge going strong once it's started up.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #30
Site Team

I just got my Redwood back with the refrigerator fixed. The cost was covered under a recall. I asked the technician about the recall (since mine wasn't on any list I could find) and he said that although there isn't an actual recall, apparently all the Norcolds that come into a service center will get this fix done.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #31
Dan

Quote:
I just got my Redwood back with the refrigerator fixed. The cost was covered under a recall. I asked the technician about the recall (since mine wasn't on any list I could find) and he said that although there isn't an actual recall, apparently all the Norcolds that come into a service center will get this fix done.
Dave what was the problem and what was the fix? Our rigs are the same age so we should have the same frig

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #32
Site Team

My fridg stopped working and was flashing L1. I tried to reset it with a magnet like others had suggested but it didn't work.

When I took it to a local dealer, they had time to look at it and asked that I brought it in to them. They did several checks to make Norcold happy and then said that they were ordering parts. About a week later I brought the trailer back to them and they put the new parts in. I saw that they had replace a censor on the heating tube, I think they replaces the black box that the LED light is on, they moved this box to the front of the unit and he said they did some re-routing of some wires.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Dave, you really need to graduate from the TN sour mash, to the good stuff, good old KY bourbon.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:20 AM   #34
Site Team

Jerry.....I'm just a poor man and can't afford the good stuff. Tonight I'm sitting in MO at a koa after test driving a Sport Chassis enjoying a tall glass of Jamison.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:23 AM   #35

Dave, if you and Ginny would stop in St. Augustine, while we are her, I will gladly provide the "good stuff" and then some!!
Old 09-21-2014, 02:43 AM   #36

Dave, this weekend is the bourbon festival in Bardstown ky, free samples. Maybe you can make it next year

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:48 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLJDM View Post
Dave, if you and Ginny would stop in St. Augustine, while we are her, I will gladly provide the "good stuff" and then some!!
John, Believe it or not......that is a trip I want to make just to meet up with you folks and discuss the finer things of life. After a few drinks I think we could solve all the world's issues. I'll call it my southern tour.

Stop #1.... see Joel and Janis in Hattiesburg MS. There I can also meet up with a friend who is a retired "Lieutenant Commander " of the Navy Seals. After having a drink or two with him and being educated on the finer ways of solving the world's issue.......I'll head to Stop#2. My favorite Colonel with the good booze and a crazy bird.

This would be a fun trip
Old 09-21-2014, 02:54 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
Dave, this weekend is the bourbon festival in Bardstown ky, free samples. Maybe you can make it next year

Sounds fun to me! I used to go through there a lot hauling car parts in big trucks. I used to stop in Rooster Run KY. MANY fond memories from years gone by.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #39

Quote:
Jerry.....I'm just a poor man and can't afford the good stuff. Tonight I'm sitting in MO at a koa after test driving a Sport Chassis enjoying a tall glass of Jamison.
I love the Irish stuff, also.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #40

I flew into Knoxville TN and while waiting for bags was watching the Jack Daniels adds roll across the board. I started licking my lips thinking about a shot.

I drove to Paducah KY and checked in, met a colleague and we went downtown to grab a drink - I of course asked for that JD I was thinking about, and I got it in a paper cup! My buddy burst out laughing as he was holding his iced KY bourbon in a rock glass and said "did you forget we were in Kentucky!" The barkeep got a laugh as well.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote