Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 03:24 AM   #1

Redwood repair facility??

We are full timers and at the present time are on the road going from Houston to No. Carolina then back to the west coast. We have just discovered a couple of the slide rubber seals have split and seem to be deteriorating on our 2015 38GK. We're not in one place long enough for a dealer or mobile repair person to order parts and wait 2-3 weeks to get them and then do the installation. Has anyone out there gone to RW to have repairs done? I thought I remembered someone mentioning that RW has a repair facility in Topeka.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
R38Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:55 AM   #2
S&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by R38Special View Post
We are full timers and at the present time are on the road going from Houston to No. Carolina then back to the west coast. We have just discovered a couple of the slide rubber seals have split and seem to be deteriorating on our 2015 38GK. We're not in one place long enough for a dealer or mobile repair person to order parts and wait 2-3 weeks to get them and then do the installation. Has anyone out there gone to RW to have repairs done? I thought I remembered someone mentioning that RW has a repair facility in Topeka.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
I would call for an appointment, or see if they can direct you to someone in your area that could do the work.
Customer Service

305 Hawpatch Drive
Topeka, IN 46571
Toll Free: 855-226-7496
Email: sales@redwoodrv.com

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #3

I got my replacements on Amazon and replaced six of them so far. It isn't a difficult procedure, they slide on and have a screw at the top to hold them on, then caulk. I bought a long roll to cut to size and they are a lot beefier than what was on there. That might be a good option for you.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
I got my replacements on Amazon and replaced six of them so far. It isn't a difficult procedure, they slide on and have a screw at the top to hold them on, then caulk. I bought a long roll to cut to size and they are a lot beefier than what was on there. That might be a good option for you.

Do you have a link ? how about a part number?
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #5

Absolutely. This is what I ordered and used.
http://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-01...rch_detailpage
I ordered a full roll since all my seals were falling apart. I used baby powder, spray for seals and nothing worked, finally just replaced them.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Absolutely. This is what I ordered and used.
Robot Check
I ordered a full roll since all my seals were falling apart. I used baby powder, spray for seals and nothing worked, finally just replaced them.
thanks , I actually may need the larger , wiper/seals that I believe "H" style.... will know after I treat them this weekend . .
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #7

Quote:
What caulk did you use? I know Atom Ant had problems with different caulks not sticking to the side. I actually ordered the seal on E-Bay for $1.95/ft. Same brand, but I'm not sure it is still available. You would need to search it "RV slide out seals"
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #8

I have not installed mine yet but just curious if anyone has tried the new seal that AP Products has come out with, 018-522 ("D" seal with fins")? I know my seals always split on the sides from pressure of closing the slide on them. I'm thinking maybe this has been an issue with everyone and maybe AP redesigned to beef the seal up on the edges. They are higher priced, but if prevents replacement I would pay it.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #9

We want to thank y'all for the responses and suggestions for replacing the seals on the slides. In trying to determine why the seal split and came loose, we were wondering if it could be because it stuck to the slide. We had been in Houston for 4 months (Dec-April) before taking off for Vidalia, LA. When we arrived 3 ft of the seal was hanging down off the back of the lvg rm slide on the door side. It appeared when we removed the seal that some of the sealant that was used had broken loose and took paint with it and it was separated from the screw at the front of the slide. Is there a treatment for the seal that would prevent it from sticking to the backside of the slide or do you think this is a problem? We will be purchasing a roll of the rubber seal material to replace this and other seals on the slides. Because of the warranty, RW customer svc doesn't want us to purchase our own seals and install them but we want to upgrade so we don't have to do this again and again. I tried to get RW to give me the part # and they wouldn't do it, we would have to go thru a dlr or mobile repair person. Once again thank you!
Old 05-19-2016, 03:12 AM   #10

I use the following rubber seal spray and it has been working good for us. I usually do the seals twice a year as we are full time and in the desert a lot. Robot Check
Old 05-19-2016, 03:27 AM   #11

Is the name of the spray Robot Check? Who is the manufacturer and where did you buy it?I couldn't find it online.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:07 AM   #12

Good luck trying to get in with the factory, I called about 4weeks ago and was willing to drive several hundred miles to get them to take care of warranty items. They would not even consider letting me bring it to them, they insisted it be taken to a Crossroads dealer near me. My hesitation was getting the work done correctly. I was lucky that the dealer did know what they were doing. I wanted to take it to the factory because everyone on the forum talked about what a good job they did. So, having said that, you may or may not get in the factory.....Give them a call
slideone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:30 AM   #13

Maybe the factory is thinking its just a simple repair that could be done by your local dealer. Now I did drive a long way to get there, but I had a big list - 2.5 days worth of work.. Good Luck!
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
go back to post #10 and click on robot check. it will open the screen to the info
Old 05-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #15

Thanks, found it.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #16

When I spoke with Tom at RW customer service, he told me appointments at the factory service were for major repairs only and our repairs aren't major.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:18 AM   #17
Site Team

Service......who needs service? RVs don't break
Old 05-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #18

No, they don't break, they were NEVER assembled correctly.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:23 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
No, they don't break, they were NEVER assembled correctly.
I agree but thankfully not all RV manufactures share the same business model.