Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 09:37 PM   #1

Redwood Quality

I’m just curious if anyone out there has owned an older Redwood like 2014 and older and then bought a new Redwood and what your thoughts are.
We have a 2014 and went to go and trade for a 2017 or 2018 - I can’t remember which one it was we were looking at. But my point is we were So disappointed in the quality of the newer models. They are being made so cheap now. The cabinets are nothing compared to our 2014.
The dealership we buy from quit selling them for this same reason. We are just so disappointed in Redwood.
cassiekelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:37 AM   #2

My cabinets are solid wood. What are yours?
Old 03-31-2019, 01:46 AM   #3

Redwood Quality

We had a 2015 Montana before purchasing a Redwood 2018 3901WB and there have been the usual issues but nothing out of the ordinary. Crossroads has been excellent at repairing anything that has needed repair under warranty. I have been happy with our unit.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:35 AM   #4

general quality..."fit and finish"

You are correct....general fit and finish is better in older RW's....I looked at quite a few before we purchased our 2015....for me it looked like when we looked at 2017 and newer...I was unimpressed....I am a cabinet maker by trade...so looking at all RV's...I need a "chill pill"...and the new high gloss finish on the millwork on the new units shows every flaw....One big dealer in our area is having trouble with sales of his new RW inventory....and rumor has it they may stop stocking the RW line as sales are not good....The 2019 I saw at the dealers show room had stuff just falling off the interior....I asked the sale person if they had done the PDI on the unit yet...he said "NO"...we only do that after the unit is sold...sounds crazy to me...we always did the PDI as the units came in at our dealership....then the unit was ready to sell....and it showed well to perspective buyers..
I think there are improvements on the new units...they are putting 8K axles on as standard and other suspension upgrades....but the fit and finish is starting to show signs of the "assembly line"..
Wes
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy1 View Post
We had a 2015 Montana before purchasing a Redwood 2018 3901WB and there have been the usual issues but nothing out of the ordinary. Crossroads has been excellent at repairing anything that has needed repair under warranty. I have been happy with our unit.

I didn't buy an RV to have it in for warranty repairs. If their QC was better, there shouldn't be any need for many of the issues people are having.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #6
Site Team

I have to agree with the original poster. We've had our 2013 36RL (built September 2012) since new. Some issues, but not many, and all fixed by Redwood. Like almost everyone else with early Redwoods, we had some suspension issues. I think we were one of the first, just after Michele, to say "this is BS" and go to MorRyde and do the IS and Kodiak Discs. Tried for years to convince Redwood to offer it as an option - they never would.

We still own it and are now fulltime in it for the last two plus years. We too, have looked at the new ones at shows and are not impressed at all. They've definitely cheapened the coach.

I've told t least six people who were actively looking for a Redwood to find an early production 2015 or earlier, budget in getting rid of the suspension unless its already been done, get a good aftermarket warranty and cruise away happy.

If we replace the Redwood, it will probably be with a 2012-2014 DRV built before David sold the company. If new, either a Luxe or if the $$$ permitted a New Horizons which now has a line that competes with DRV and the other upper end coaches besides their custom built ones.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:20 AM   #7

I don't think that any RV manufactured in the current economic climate will be trouble free. It is way to hard for employers through out the US to find quality help. So I would agree that if you have a unit that you are happy with or find a used one that you know has the bugs worked out of it then do not by a new model from any manufacturer. We just went to a McDonald's yesterday that was closed at 2:00 pm because they couldn't get enough employees. All I can speak to is that in my experience Crossroads has been very good at backing their product under warranty. The DEALER you buy from makes all the difference as they are the ones that check the unit out before you receive it and repair it if it breaks. I have never been without any of my fifth wheels for more than a couple of days, which I find totally except-able when dealing with a box on wheels. You can pay a lot more for a supposedly better model but you will only be more upset when it requires repairs because they are all built by the same unskilled hands using similar parts.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:25 AM   #8

We had a 2012 31sl and it was way better built than the 2019 3901wb...thanks crossroads....
katy4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:54 AM   #9

Quality

Regardless what people think ....after spending years in the RV industry I have found only one reason for declining quality...(which is hard as the quality never was very high ) Profits.....Once these companies get big enough ...they get a board of investors...some even get on a stock exchange and start to be publicly traded.....Then things are controlled by "bean counters"....There is only a few ways to make more profit.....build faster....don't pay your staff well (unskilled labour)....and cut corners on materials....These aren't cars.....they are "stick built" so to speak....so becoming more automated is not really an option..(like robotics)....A rv builder does get organized as much as possible.....then drive your staff hard...to get the product out the door....realize that some repairs are going to happen (build that into the price )...The RV industry is a great example of this path....who really benefits ?....Not the consumer.....as we struggle to get things sorted out....Add the fact that its so very competitive between companies and brands....This issue is not going anywhere soon...Wes
Old 04-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott & Vicky View Post
I didn't buy an RV to have it in for warranty repairs. If their QC was better, there shouldn't be any need for many of the issues people are having.
From what I see owners of older units have mostly had only minor bugs to work out. We've had many. We brought our 38Gk in on Tues. March 26 for it's annual inspection which was supposed to happen that day. When we got to our dealer my husband noticed that our RW wasn't setting straight. He found another leaf spring was broken so we had to leave it. This is the 3rd time we've had a broken leaf spring. The 1st time was in Nov 2017 all were replaced. The 2nd time was in Feb of this year. Our dealer is no longer carrying Redwoods. Don't know who quite who. We've looked at new Redwoods at RV shows. The fit and finish looks to be better than most. But haven't seen a model that we like as much as ours.
NewRW Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Cheezy1;>The DEALER you buy from makes all the difference< I sure do agree with that. Our dealer had only.good reviews when we bought from them. Now their reviews aren't so good. The last time our RW was in for repairs, it was there for 3 full months. This time it took them over a week to even contact Redwood/Keystone for repair approval.
NewRW Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:53 AM   #12

Completely agree with Piper Guy.... we have a 14FL and looked at new and at this point would not even consider a Redwood. I am sure some folks love it but what are they thinking with this high gloss interior. Have you ever seen this in many homes. Looks fake to me!!! We liked the separate office but once again why put a full wall of glass in an office space if you want a little privacy when working. These guys designing them most likely have never had an RV.
We love our RW but may move back into a DPMH soon so if a 2014 36FL is what anyone is looking for with some mods send me an email and we can talk.

Steve
Old 04-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRW Owner View Post
From what I see owners of older units have mostly had only minor bugs to work out.
Must be older than 2014s. Don't want to tell the hole story here, but it was grim. Suffice it to say it started with fittings not being tightened, or even assembled.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:12 AM   #14

We have a 13. When we looked at the new ones in Tampa, We couldn't see any reason to by a Redwood again.

Mark
Old 04-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #15

When I get back to my home in WI after seven months in FL, I usually have a myriad of things that require repair in and outside of my summer home. Even though no one has been there. It would be foolish to think that a trailer bouncing for thousands of miles down american interstates wouldn't require repairs. Quality control is the cure but that is easier said than done while trying to make a profit in the current economy. All manufacturing is full of recalls, lawsuits and failures. If you think it's easy to make a flawless product of any kind then you belong in the manufacturing business where you will make a fortune. You can then retire with millions and drive one of your own RVs and be pissed when the unit malfunctions. Just a thought. Buy a new one if you find a color and floor plan that turns your crank, otherwise keep the one you have. They are all the same with different names.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #16

My 38rl is titled as a '17, but I would say it is more like a '16 and a half. When we were in Ft. Myers we went to the RV show there and looked at about 5 or 6 Redwoods and I can say if I were in the market for a new fifth wheel it would not be a Redwood. They seemed so cheap compared to the one that we have. As far as issues with ours we had the same ones that showed up on this forum with others. The shower wasn't caulked and the drain hose to the washing machine pulled out of the fitting. Luckily we didn't use the washer before we found it. Had to have a cylinder replaced on the kitchen side slide. Other that that we haven't had to many problems.
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:37 AM   #17

Redwood Quality

I am new to this site as we are prospective new Redwood buyers. For all you guys that have replied to this subject, “if you would not buy a newer model Redwood”, what would you consider? We have a 2012 SOB and want to upgrade and want to stay under 40 feet. Have looked at most of the higher end units and thought the RW3401RL checked most of our boxes. Agree with the statement regarding the high gloss cabinet finishes but don’t consider it a deal breaker. These comments sort of dampened my enthusiasm. Any thoughts from newer owners would be greatly appreciated.
Knighton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:20 AM   #18

We looked at a 2016....It was ok....but wrong floor plan....We looked at a 2018 and a 2019.....they both were no match in regards to fit and finish to the 2016 model....almost purchased a 2014....but it ended up having some water damage...so we passed even though the dealer said it was to be repaired....Ended up with a 2015 38RL...reasonably happy with how its put together....wish it had heavier running gear....but I will upgrade that if needed...its quite obvious the difference between units a little older than the new ones....Also showing up in sales figures....Heck....I know others that are considering a Riverstone...and you know what anything "Forest River " can be like
Wes
Old 04-12-2019, 04:34 AM   #19

My reason for not buying a new Redwood is more about designs, and less about quality. The current trailers seem to have much less cabinet space. Also the straight roof line makes most high cabinets near impossible to reach.

Mark
Old 04-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
My reason for not buying a new Redwood is more about designs, and less about quality. The current trailers seem to have much less cabinet space. Also the straight roof line makes most high cabinets near impossible to reach.

Mark
I really dislike that straight roof line - not sure why they went that way. Our 2014 RW was cozy looking in the back with the tapered roof line, but when I looked at a new one I felt like I was standing in a wallpapered semi-trailer.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote