Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 02:12 PM   #1

Redwood 5th wheel/ worth the $

Looking at a 2020 RW3901WB. When best quality 5th wheel is Googled the Redwood's are in a lot of the results. Will be traveling in this Coach about 4 months a year for the next 4 years. They look great and seem to be built well. I know there us no perfect unit but I we are going to put a substantial amount into our new Coach whatever brand. Thanks
star52656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:33 AM   #2

I don't think you can buy any RV that is perfect , they all have there places the cut cost and sometimes install things less then perfect. I would say redwoods are built good and maybe the older ones before Keystone took control of the company where built better then the current . Its hard to say we own a 2015 and really have no first hand experience with any thing newer. I do think in the price range they are in they can compare with any unit on the market for overall quality. If your going to put good amount of miles on your trailer you want disk brakes and Morryde IS suspension , its well worth the added cost.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:50 AM   #3

Redwood 5th wheel worth the $

I have a 2015 38GK. Is it as good as my previous fiver? A 2005 35' Carriage extreme 5? NO! But, I attend several of the shows annually. The wife and I truthfully have yet to see anything that we would dollar for dollar trade for. Does the Redwood have some issues? yeah. Several things I wish were different. However, for the money I still think it is a great fifth wheel. Still looks great. Everything works. I say yes!!
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #4

Full-timed 10+ years 6+ years of which in our RW & had very minor issues that were mostly taken care of by me & would buy another if doing it again.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:55 PM   #5

Hello,
We purchased a Redwood 3941 FL in 2018 and our experience has been one of limited disappointment. Firstly I would have the new unit inspected by a certified RV inspector before you take delivery. Cost can be $500.00 and take five hours but well worth it. Have the inspector check the underbelly, we found our black tank half hanging out of the supports. We also found they put the AC with heat pump in the living room instead of in the bedroom. Second I would get the disc brakes and IS and avoid the problems of broken shackles which we experienced even with 8K axels. Most important check the integrity of the dealer and make sure they have the interest, facilities and staff to do repairs under warranty

Otherwise after two years we love it.
tjh@reagan.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:35 AM   #6

Dont do it look elsewhere. My 2016 39mb was pure JUNK. Also from what I have heard and read the new ones are worse. Of all the things I have owned in my 67 years this thing was the worst piece of s--t ever. In my humble opinion they are way overpriced for the lack of quality. If nothing else never buy any RV new. The warranties are not worth the paper they are written on. Also the deprecation on a new one is probably 50 percent as soon as you sign the papers. A decent used one is by far the way to go. Preferably from an individual. Check this forum for ones for sale. Good luck happy traveling.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #7

Simply put, REDWOOD is Quality
201firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:35 AM   #8

Quality? Not

Quality? Where do I start. 2016 MB. Water line to refrigerator leaked under stove. Leak in the bedroom slide soaking the carpet which will lead to rotted wood. No cotter pin ever installed on right front wheel causing bearing failure also destroying the axle and disc brake rotor. Front a/c blowing fuses. No heat from furnace going to the living area. Entry door would never line up right. Leak on front end of living / dinette slide. The list goes on. Sorry to the poor sucker who got it from Colton RV in buffalo ny last fall.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #9

Sorry for all your problems Chief, but we have a 2016 39MB that now has 50K miles on it and only in for service once for a Delamination where the Factory missed some sealant the RW covered it no problem.
We live in this unit on average of 10 months per year.
Now would we buy a new one, No. We feel that RW/Crossroads/Keystone/Thor have cheapen them up so much we don't like what we see in them, plus we dislike the new interiors, but that's just us.
We started with a 2012 36RL that was never in for service while we owned it and only changed because of the MB floor plan with the Front Bath and we got the Butler's Pantry vs the 1/2 bath.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #10

I had a "16" 38RL which we LOVED...

The ONLY issues we had with that one was some small do it yourself repairs, an awning was replaced under warranty, and a few very small issues..

NOW, my "2020" is a different story...
* Redwood swapped out the oven when new, it wouldn't hold temperature
* Slides were making marks on floor - Dealer fixed
* Main heat duck under kitchen floor was blocked/collapsed- fixed under
warranty
* kitchen sink fell down on 1 side - fixed under warranty
* rolling shade broke - fixed under warranty
* hanging bar in front closet came loose from shelf, entire shelf fell - I
repaired this myself.. probably better than any dealer would
* 1st wooden step broke - I repaired myself
* Inverter starting acting up last trip, did proper troubleshooting and deemed
the inverter is bad - Redwood is replacing
* my Morryde step up was welded uneven, thus holding up the door. -
Morryde sent me a new set for my install.. easy fix
* had Morryde install disc brakes while doing IS... The brakes were all
hanging up, ate a full set of pads in 1,000 miles... Morryde AND Kodiak
worked together to get my issues resolved

Overall I have had a lot more issues with the 20 than the 16., but they (dealer and Redwood) have been great to work with and made it easy to repair.

Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #11

Have a 2021 Redwood, based on our customer service experience during the first 4 months of ownership, would rather own any other brand. Have dealt with Winnebago, Grand Design( yes I know they are the same company, sort of) and several smaller brands with 200% better customer service after the sell. JMO
Wolfyukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #12

Did you work directly with Morryde on your steps? We have a 2021 with the same issue..welded crooked...
Old 11-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfyukon View Post
Did you work directly with Morryde on your steps? We have a 2021 with the same issue..welded crooked...

I did, but I was there for the IS.. Don't think they will deal direct with those types of items unless your there??
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:20 PM   #14

Thanks, we are going up in Jan/Feb for the IS install, will probably see if they can repair ours while there..