Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2019, 10:20 PM   #1

Redwood 3941FL Height

Hello Everyone,

I contacted Mor/Ryde to have new IS and disc brakes put on but they are asking for the height of my unit when hitched to my truck or the distance between the truck’s bedrail and the RV’ cap. I have a 2019 Redwood 3941FL with a Lippert Flex Air pin box. My truck is a 2018 Ram 3500 Laramie crew cab, 8 foot box, dually with a BW Companion hitch. Redwoods specs say the height is 13’6”. When hitched I do ride a little high on the front even after I lowered the Companion hitch as low as it can go. I did a very unscientific measurement last summer and came up with 13’10” plus or minus an inch but I would like to know if anyone has a more accurate measurement. If anyone knows either of or both of these dimensions with my type of equipment, I would appreciate hearing from you. I will even be happy with info on a similar configuration. I would remeasure the unit but I am in Illinois for the month of December and the unit is skirted and the underbelly is heated so that is not practical.

Thanks in Advance,
Tom & Carol
tjh@reagan.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #2

my 2015 RL38 was at 13' 6" after the IS was installed. They put about a 3" tube steel under the frame of the coach to mount the new IS to that. They should have some room to adjust things. I am not sure your going to want to keep the air bag pin box. maybe some one else can voice there opinion on this. I have a morryde pin box. you need about 6"+ bed rail clearance and still staying under 13'6" on the highest point on the coach.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #3

First off, There is no RV that is rolling down the road at 13'10",,, MAX federal height limit is 13'6".. MY 2020 3991RD came to me at 13'3" even though it said 13'6" on the brochure.

Are you leaving your truck with the RV at Morryde? IF so, the vey first thing they will do is park your rig HOOKED UP at the level part of their driveway and get the max height ... they will then go under and get measurements from the ground to your frame.

They will build a CUSTOM sub frame from steel tube to get your truck to ride level.

IF your not leaving the vehicle with the Redwood, they will have to have you do all those measurments so they can build the frame.. They may be asking for ball park numbers so they can estimate a build cost??

The proper way to get max height is as follows:
Hook truck to camper... Make sure your at running height for the hitch,, Go to a FLT and LEVEL parking lot... Take a 6' 0r 8' level, or straight piece of wood tht will not bend and place it on the top of the AC shroud.. Take a tape measure and measure from the ground to the bottom of that wood..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:22 AM   #4

Thanks for your input. What year is your truck. Since 2018 the truck beds and rails seem higher then previous years. The nose of my RV is on a upward angle and rides high while the rear rides low. I am going to confirm if the distance between the bedrail and bottom of the RV nose is at 6" if higher I will let out more air from the air shock on the pin box..
Old 12-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #5

I would NOT lower the air in your hitch until all other issues are looked at..

If you lower that air and drop the front, it will be off when Morryde takes their measurements...

Make sure you have your 7-8” between the rails and bottom of Redwood... make sure of your total height.. let Morryde handle it from there
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Ford truck guy;85325]I would NOT lower the air in your hitch until all other issues are looked at..

If you lower that air and drop the front, it will be off when Morryde takes their measurements...

Make sure you have your 7-8” between the rails and bottom of Redwood... make sure of your total height.. let Morryde handle it from there[/QUOTE

Thanks, that was my plan, before going to Mor/Ryde they asked that give them the bedrail to bottom of cap measurements, they can work with 8 inches. I will first, hitch up as normal, fill air shock to specs and measure the bedrail to bottom of RV cap. Second if over 8" lower air shock to see how low I need to go to get to 8 inches. Retake measurements then lower to 7 then 6 inches take measurements and record.

I know I am riding high in the front only because of the hitch and truck but since we are full-timers and I just had a spring replaced and I fear a hanger will go too I really want the ISO and disc brakes.

Thanks
Tom
Old 12-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #7

A year ago we changed to a 2015 F550. Significantly higher bed rail height than previous Tow Vehicle. If I recall the B&W Companion adjusts in 1" increments, the Pin Box adjusts in 2" increments. We raised the pinbox one set of holes higher and the hitch one set of holes lower to get in effect a 1" drop in coach height in front. Don't have 5" of clearance to bed rails but haven't hit bed rails in our 5 years of owning our RW.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:12 PM   #8

Thanks for your input, I lowered my hitch as far as it will go but I am interested in the type of pin box you have. I have a Lippert Flex Air, I will check to see if it can be adjusted.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #9

Our hitch is the roto flex. No air bag included. Had to keep 5 bolts per side in the mounts to keep the strength at the frame mounts. I did have to remove the 'Horseshoe' around the pin box and notch it in a few places to accommodate the bolts going up higher into the nose a bit. Re-secured when finished and resealed to the underpinning or TPO panel. You need to be sure there are enough empty bolt holes to allow you to raise the pin box higher. And the bolts needed around 140 to 150 ft lbs of torque if I remember correctly.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #10

Thanks,
I will check mine for extra bolts as soon as it gets above 15 degrees
Tom
Old 01-31-2024, 02:58 PM   #11

It's great to see you're taking the initiative to get the IS and disc brakes installed on your 2019 Redwood 3941FL. Getting accurate measurements for Mor/Ryde is definitely important for a precise and safe installation.

From your description, it seems like the height of your RV when hitched might be slightly above the usual spec due to riding a bit high on the front. Your approach to remeasure the unit sounds wise, especially considering the different configurations of trucks and hitches. It's understandable that you can't remeasure right now due to your current situation in Illinois.

In the meantime, you might consider the advice from Ford truck guy and r time soon. Ensuring that you have sufficient clearance (7-8 inches) between the bedrails and the bottom of the RV nose is crucial. Lowering the air in the hitch without considering all factors might affect the measurements and ultimately the installation.

If you're unable to get the exact measurement soon, communicating with Mor/Ryde about your specific setup and concerns could be helpful. They might be able to provide guidance or suggestions based on similar configurations they've worked with.

The input from XCMARK and others in the thread is also valuable. The idea of custom subframe construction to level your truck is an interesting approach. Remember, it's always better to provide as much detail as possible to the technicians to ensure a safe and effective modification.

Good luck with your project, and stay warm in Illinois!
NIOMARVIN83 is offline   Reply With Quote