Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2022, 11:16 PM   #1

Rectangular Ducting to bedroom

I’ve dealt with this issue before, and have seen others on here have as well. It’s time for a more permanent solution. The duct work going to the bedroom has completely fallen apart. Fixed it previously but now the tape holding the silver paper and foam (what they call the ducting) has failed. The tape holding it together completely pulled out from above the wood ceiling. I’ve pulled the ceiling down and am going to replace the duct work with actual galvanized and insulate. Has anyone found a rectangular duct work that worked? Most I see are 4” round and won’t fit in the 2 1/2” depth between floor and cargo ceiling. No wonder the bedroom was always cold but cargo hold was toasty warm. Thanks for the advice ya’ll.
Jeffmurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 01:45 PM   #2

Theres not much room in there and I would think that building a duct with insulated duct board as Redwood did would supply the most air flow. You would need all the square inches you could get and that is really the only way plus having a little insulation for the duct. I’m sure they could have used more quality control doing it though. You could use mastic and tape as a backup to hold things together. The mastic used in residential is pretty amazing stuff.

I’m not sure you could find galvanized duct that size unless some RV supplier sells it direct.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:00 PM   #3

Local RV company had nothing. I was thinking of reducing the two 4" ducts down to 2" round tubes that would fit in the space. This would give me four tubes and be able to fit the small confines above the cargo roof. I'm not an HVAC guy so not sure how that would effect the CFM and heater system. I would think it would just push more air to living area if it was restricted. Not that the heater fan blows that hard anyway.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:32 PM   #4

Figure out what will work and go to a A/C heating /furnace place and have them make the ducting you want. They bend that stuff all the time when they install a new furnace and AC. You just have to find one that has a metal brake to bend it for your specs.
Should be pretty simple once you find the furnace/AC guy to do it for you.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 08:08 AM   #5

Try the aluminum 4 inch flexible dryer vent ducting. It can be flattened and will spread out where flattened.
inb2winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:01 PM   #6

home depot sells it .I am useing it to do my 39mb
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 01:00 AM   #7

I did just that. I reduced it to 3" and then flattened it out. Two ducts to bedroom and now it blows toasty warm. Cost was about $50 to include adding insulation in the cavity which didn't have it in there before. Thanks for suggestion.