Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #1

Rear entertainment or rear living?

The wife and I are on opposite sides when it comes to this one. Which do you prefer to watch TV. I'm under the thought that it's better to watch head on i.e. RL and TV on the side and she believes RE and TV on the back wall and pull the recliners out in the middle.
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #2

Love laying on the couch watching TV. Buying a second couch and getting rid of the chairs.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #3

personal preference obviously... add a second tv and have BOTH

have had both and actually DID do the pulling out the recliners...
even went so far as to get the sliders for the legs to make it slide across the carpet easier...

That moving got old quick and the recliners got in the way for day to day living and when guests were over...

BUT, we are vacationers, not full timers so moving and pulling a lot more than stationary... so good luck on the decision !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #4

We prefer the RL to the RE not because of the TV options but because of the much better outside view and the brighter interior. On our older RV nothing beat the view of the Pacific ocean through the rear window in our back-in site in Mexico. Same applies to the view in some RV resorts north of the border as well.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #5

When we were RV shopping the first thing we looked for was that the TV was NOT 90 degrees from all the seating, been through the moving furniture at every stop & no more.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc View Post
We prefer the RL to the RE not because of the TV options but because of the much better outside view and the brighter interior. On our older RV nothing beat the view of the Pacific ocean through the rear window in our back-in site in Mexico. Same applies to the view in some RV resorts north of the border as well.
I too, love the big picture windows in the backs of rear living RVs. That's one thing my wife and I always agree on, we always get our rvs with the big window in the back. It's the first thing we look for when deciding. I've never looked at the Pacific out of ours, but many times the Atlantic. I can't wait to have some of the views the Western part of the US will offer us through that window.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #7

With the RE do you find that our constantly straining your neck to watch the TV? I like the two sofa idea ( we have that now) but i think the recliners would be nice. The big picture window does brighten up the room so that is a plus.
On a different note, if they would come out with a FL that has a better floorplan, more kitchen space and a hallway to the back bedroom so you don't go thru the bathroom I might gravitate in another direction. Darn, I need an RV show is it January yet??
Old 09-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
Site Team

Everyone has different wants and needs when it comes to RVs and that's why the companies make so many floor plans. With our RL we have the big back window but we rarely see it as a benefit because the view in the back is rarely that good.

We wanted to be able to reach the bathroom, fridge and bed without putting the slides out. My wife loves the idea of having the TV across from the chairs but I'm not sure it's a big deal. I really love the looks of the RE.

Our next one with either be the 38RL or the MB. The master bath really won us over due to the extra storage and the plumbing layout.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #9

We have the couch watchers, and the chair watchers, and even the kitchen table watchers (me in the morning).

It seems our TV is in the perfect spot for all. My preference is the recliner in front of the TV next to my wife, and my daughter does the couch.

I can't say for all new TV configurations on the 36RL, but I think they still swing out towards the front of the coach which cures the dining table watchers. Our older one swings out to any position.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #10

We really love the big rear window and sitting across from the TV in the recliners. Also, no problem at the kitchen table.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #11

It definitely is a matter of preference but the one thing I would like about the RL vs. RE is that there is a large picture window in the back of the RL which is great to have when you are backed into a campsite with a lake or beautiful wooded area behind you. Very seldom are you parked parallel to those landscapes.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #12

We love the RL layout. Tv is easy to watch from the recliners or the couch or sitting at the dinner table (I won the lucky seat). And then there is the back window...we have a stream five feet below us and the reflections on the ceiling are really cool along with the woods. High water not so cool!
I would probably go for another RL only a 38RL or by then two potties with the MB.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #13

All good reasons.
I'm surprised that no one had thought about the FL witt the nice theater setting. The pass thru bathroom is the big problem though
Old 09-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #14

We like our FL, the pass thru bathroom is ok, our last 5er was a rear living with a side isle bath.

Both floor plans have their advantages, but so far we like the FL for fulltime living.

We like the having the living area out of the kitchen area and really like the large rear bedroom.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:03 AM   #15

The wife loves the RE. She gets to watch the TV when cooking in the kitchen, she has also laid claim to the couch and lays down to watch TV. Me I just turn the one recliner I use a little bit toward the back and have no trouble watching. Matter of fact the recliner is turned so little it stays there when we pull the slides in to go home.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
The wife loves the RE. She gets to watch the TV when cooking in the kitchen, she has also laid claim to the couch and lays down to watch TV. Me I just turn the one recliner I use a little bit toward the back and have no trouble watching. Matter of fact the recliner is turned so little it stays there when we pull the slides in to go home.
Nuttin to do with Nuttin, but you reminded me of this - an option that has been in the Redwood website since before we ordered ours, and it took forever to realize this kitchen TV goes in the cabinet on the opposite side of the Kitchen so you can watch TV while cooking - I don't think I have ever seen a unit with this option installed. It may be an outdated option as much as the basement TV (which we have on ours).

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:17 AM   #17

Our cabinet that is above the Pantry in the Kitchen is wired with Cable and a Outlet for a TV
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #18

We like the TV watching layout of the 36FL, with the huge entertainment centre. We have since dumped the RW supplied seats and installed 2 recliners in the slide opposite the TV. Seats at 90 degrees to the TV doesn't work for us.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #19

I have the 36FB which is the same as the 36RL except it has a full size shower. I like the view from the back window.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Nuttin to do with Nuttin, but you reminded me of this - an option that has been in the Redwood website since before we ordered ours, and it took forever to realize this kitchen TV goes in the cabinet on the opposite side of the Kitchen so you can watch TV while cooking - I don't think I have ever seen a unit with this option installed. It may be an outdated option as much as the basement TV (which we have on ours).
The first redwood 38gk we looked at had the tv in place of that angled cabinet door - but the 38gk didn't have the colors we wanted so ordered.
actually meant to include tv on our order,
but basically slipped our minds during the back and forth with the order process

But don't really miss it since our kitchen is 'decorative only' per the wife - and the 55" LED is big enough for the room !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote