Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #1

Question Rear axle coming lose

You might want to check the nuts on the U bolts on your axles, I had one come lose going down the interstate. How lucky can I be I heard a funny noise and looking back the trailer was not straight behind me and I smelt rubber I just knew I had blown a tire got out an looked and my rear right tire was back on the rear jack only thing that kept it from coming all the wayout. Slid the axle back forward, tighten the bolts back again lucky they did not back all the way off, changed the tire and back on the road. The question I have is does anyone know if the spring has a pin to line up with the plate for the axle for alignment? Called Redwood today and they told me to call Lippert so I will see what they say.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:14 AM   #2
S&K

So glad that you caught this before something really ugly could have happened and glad you are safe. Also, thanks for posting this, so we can use your experience as a safety lesson.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
Site Team

I think I'd be asking Lippert about having the system re-alined and replacing a tire.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:45 AM   #4
Traveling

Yes, id be asking a few things too. Thank God it wasn't worse. What a terrible scare.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #5

Wow, that's one scary situation, hoping Lippert steps up to the plate with a detailed inspection, re-alignment and new tire.

Let us know the response and action you get from them.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:03 AM   #6

Why does Lippert have any responsibility for this issue? RW chose the Lippert system. The coach is warrantied by RW. RW should take full responsibility for the problem. Suggesting Lippert should take responsibility would be the same as if my turbo blew up under warranty. I'm not going to get much satisfaction by calling Borg Warner. They'll tell me to pound sand and kindly suggest that I make a call to my nearest Ford dealer.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:11 AM   #7

I agree. RW should stand behind any choices they make re: parts, products and construction.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:20 AM   #8
Site Team

Since they're both owned by the same company, there might be an agreement between them. Personally I believe the suspension is one of the weakest parts of these trailers and wish they offered an upgrade to the Moryde IS system.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:23 AM   #9

I was in a conversation with Lippert just recently and told the parts (axles, frames, hitches, brake assemblies, etc) are all shipped to RW and RW assemblies the pieces per an order, or for stock units.
If that's true, loose U-bolts should be on RW. Just an FYI, loose U-bolts are not unique to RW, that's been a running thread on the Montana forum.
And by the way, YES there should be an alignment pin to match up with the plate that the U-bolts pass thru.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:33 AM   #10

When I toured the RW factory in 2012 I saw several pre-assembled frames sitting onsite. Thet all had the frame with the entire suspension system (axles, wheels, brakes included) so I have to believe that Lippert sends them to RW ready to build on.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 AM   #11

True they are Lippert parts but the warranty falls back to Lippert they make the axle it goes to RW as a complete unit why do people think chevy,ford ect cover the warranty it is all charged back to whom ever makes the part
this is some of the delay in a warranty process RW has to get the ok from many vendors first
gocubs17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
When I toured the RW factory in 2012 I saw several pre-assembled frames sitting onsite. Thet all had the frame with the entire suspension system (axles, wheels, brakes included) so I have to believe that Lippert sends them to RW ready to build on.
I always thought that until I saw Dave's pics from the factory. His pics tell a different story unless I'm seeing something different with these. Those tags on the tires could not have looked like that after going down the road, they had to be installed on the factory floor is my guess.

Just to back up my thought process a little, when I had a little issue with my leaf springs, I sent pictures to Redwood, who in turn sent them to Lippert to get the correct list of parts needed. Leanord with Redwood was super about the whole thing. In the interim, Lippert called me and assured me that THEY did not put that suspension together and REDWOOD did it all wrong and LIPPERT is not going to warranty any of the non-wear parts, and LIPPERT gets blamed for everything and blah blah blah. I had to go take a Clorox shower after I was done talking with him.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #13

Thanks for your post, the warning, and all the responses. This will definitely be something I'll add to my pre-trip checklist, along with the spare carrier and the wheel-well fenders. Since we only expect to move 4-8 times a year, ten minutes on my back won't be a chore. I wonder if the nuts on these U-bolts need to be torqued to a specific point?
Between 1986 and 2004, I regularly hauled a TT around the country on my 4-month work trips. I might be 4-7 days at a site, and then move to the next job. I never did all these maintenance checks back then; no doubt I should have, but I got away with it. Chalk it up to being young, foolish and in a hurry I guess. These days, I'll spend the extra hour checking for loose screws, nuts and bolts before hitting the road. (Before anyone comments on the loose screw behind the steering wheel, we've had it inspected and there's no hope of correcting THAT!) :-)
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
Site Team

Hey..... That last picture is my traler being built
Old 05-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #15

Brad,
My bad, I guess what I saw was just the frames with the tag wheel assembles, Guess that's why I should have taken pics...been too long since I was there...thanks for keeping me honest!!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #16

Well here’s an update Talked to dealer service rep they told me to call Crossroads , they told me to call Lippert they said they only warranty for one year asked if I had an entendent warrantand yes I did get it they also sent me a sheet on alignment how to measure & a axle manual and they do have a torque requirement. So next call will be back to dealers service. I will give you an update after that call.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #17

Spindrift,
I agree that it is basically Redwood's basic responsibility, but by going directly to Lippert it might speed up the resolution instead of having Redwood in the middle. I know I have had experiences that went this route and I feel it got resolved quicker and better.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPull View Post
Well here’s an update Talked to dealer service rep they told me to call Crossroads , they told me to call Lippert they said they only warranty for one year asked if I had an entendent warrantand yes I did get it they also sent me a sheet on alignment how to measure & a axle manual and they do have a torque requirement. So next call will be back to dealers service. I will give you an update after that call.

These coaches have a 2+5 year warranty. The 5 year part is for the frame and running gear so you should be covered if you're the original owner. The 1 year is for things that Lippert doesn't make like cargo hinges door handles, refrigerators and stuff like that.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #19

Lippert covers the one year with paying back to RW then in the second year if a problem with lippert parts happens the RW has to eat that cost ,
In the frame pics that is how RW receives the frame once inside RW will flip it upside down and install the axels witch are a complete assb. axel,spring ect
gocubs17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame View Post
Spindrift,
I agree that it is basically Redwood's basic responsibility, but by going directly to Lippert it might speed up the resolution instead of having Redwood in the middle. I know I have had experiences that went this route and I feel it got resolved quicker and better.
I hope you're correct, I'd love to be proven wrong if it eventually benefits a RW owner. Nothing wrong with that.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote