Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 06:07 AM   #1

Ready to Pull the Trigger on a 38RL

We are buying a new unit for seasonal living. Is there anything we should know before we pull the trigger on a new 38RL? Are we making the right choice? Will we not be disappointed?
david.peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:16 AM   #2

Well, the question that isn't asked often from new prospective owners is what do I tow this unit with. If you are considering a RL, most owners on here would agree that unit is quite nose heavy, almost 3000 lb of pin weight. I started towing my RL with a SRW 1 ton truck, and quickly decided after weighing the combination, that I was overweight on the pin by a substantial margin. I gave somebody in eastern Nebraska a loaded out F350 and traded for a dually that you can see in my signature picture. If you search tow vehicles on here you will find some still do tow with a single rear wheel, but a majority of owners who have towed for awhile have gone to a dually. Depending on what you now have (or don't have) that would be my advice.

Jim

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #3

We have a 2012 36 RL and love it. I work on the road and have been in it since we bought early 2012. It truly feels like a home. Yes, people have issues but all in all, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. If you are using it for seasonal, you might want to look at the MB version to gain a half bath. That is the ONLY thing I would want to change.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.peterson View Post
We are buying a new unit for seasonal living. Is there anything we should know before we pull the trigger on a new 38RL? Are we making the right choice? Will we not be disappointed?
Welcome to the family, David!

We certainly have not been disappointed with our RL. It's a beautiful unit!!!

As with any RV, it helps to be a bit of a handyman. Just like with your sticks and brick home, you'll have to tend to it. I have suggested that we find a way to set up a folder here, a source where new owners can go to find out more about some of those things that we know need tending, like checking to see if you have the right bolts in your awning or making sure the drain pipe for the washer in the RL, should you chose to had one, is properly positioned under the bed. These are minor things, but can save you some headaches if you check it out in advance.

Another thing - open the vent for the microwave. It's funny how many people, including ourselves, didn't know to do that.

I am continually in awe of the wisdom and helpful advice I find on this forum. It's a great group of folks. I hope you find it helpful as well.

Enjoy your new home!
Old 08-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #5

I posted a question BEFORE my PDI asking about RW specific issues to look for during my walk through... and got some GREAT responses.. I was happy to find that almost none of the known issues were present on my trailer.. Since mine just rolled out the factory door , I ASSUMED that they were in the process of bettering themselves. . Point is , I would have never known to look for some of them.. This is not my first Rodeo , been RV'ing 30+ years , and still learning !
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #6

Welcome to our family!!
On behalf of Redwood, we are excited you are here and glad you have this resource at your fingertips. The owners on this forum are not only experienced, but have a wealth of RV/lifestyle knowledge to share.

Should you have any questions or need any assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #7

We have the 38RL and love it, the space is awesome and literally everyone who walks in doesn't want to leave. It very comfortable and to be honest fancier than my sticks and bricks home. They tow awesome as well. Make sure you get the dishwasher it's a must along with at least one if not both roof units as heatpumps. I guess the best thing I would/could say is I'd buy it again. Welcome, if you have questions fire away, there are many here happy to help!
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:05 PM   #8
Site Team

David,

Welcome to the clan. The RL is a wonderful floor plan and I'm sure it'll serve you well. As with all RV's get a tool box ready because there's always going to be little things that will need fixed or adapted to your needs. Redwood puts out a good product that is currently getting better so that's great news to the buyers. This forum has a group of great people with vast amounts of experience and everybody is here to help.

Again, welcome and I hope your new Redwood brings you miles and miles of happiness.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:34 PM   #9

We have a 38RL and full time. The trailer has been great so far few minor issues but we have had them in all RV's we have owned. If you are ordering I would suggest 8K axels and the disk brakes. I wish we had done that when getting ours. The recommendations to go with a DRW Truck I also recommend there is a huge difference when hauling that heavy load. We would do it again in a heartbeat
Old 08-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #10

You don't say where it will be parked. Since it will be a seasonal unit, I know you won't be moving it. But, don't forget to exercise the slides periodically along with the jacks.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #11

Thank you to all

Thanks to those of you who shared their insight. Based on your unanimous positive response we have made a deposit and plan to pick up our 38 RL before the end of August.
david.peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:51 AM   #12

Congrats!

Congrats on the purchase. Just last week my wife and I took delivery of a "New to Us" 2013 36RL. We could not be happier with the floor plan, build quality, and look of the unit. We are younger and not ready to live in our unit. But after a bunk house for our 8
Kids we are very excited to get into something more appropriate for our number of travelers and needed living space.

It seems every time I check out the forum I find something else to worry about (latest is the Maraton tires), but the forum is helpful and before I pulled the trigger I came here to check out truck options. With much research and help from the forum as well, I switched from a SRW 2011 Chevy 2500 diesel and bought a 2015 Ram 3500 DRW long box crew cab. I love the truck and my MPGs are doing a little better than my Chevy, and love the interior set up. I choose the 3.42
Axle ratio but that is plenty for someone who does not tow full time and uses the truck as a daily driver most of the time.

The Redwood is a house on wheels. It will have problems. My wife and I are realtors and new homes and old homes have problems. Some people complain and other decide to just figure out how to fix it. If you want problem free don't buy a rolling house and travel with a mechanic who checks and fixes everything. In other words, enjoy these great floor plans and fix what comes along.
WarrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenR View Post
Congrats on the purchase. Just last week my wife and I took delivery of a "New to Us" 2013 36RL. We could not be happier with the floor plan, build quality, and look of the unit. We are younger and not ready to live in our unit. But after a bunk house for our 8
Kids we are very excited to get into something more appropriate for our number of travelers and needed living space.

It seems every time I check out the forum I find something else to worry about (latest is the Maraton tires), but the forum is helpful and before I pulled the trigger I came here to check out truck options. With much research and help from the forum as well, I switched from a SRW 2011 Chevy 2500 diesel and bought a 2015 Ram 3500 DRW long box crew cab. I love the truck and my MPGs are doing a little better than my Chevy, and love the interior set up. I choose the 3.42
Axle ratio but that is plenty for someone who does not tow full time and uses the truck as a daily driver most of the time.

The Redwood is a house on wheels. It will have problems. My wife and I are realtors and new homes and old homes have problems. Some people complain and other decide to just figure out how to fix it. If you want problem free don't buy a rolling house and travel with a mechanic who checks and fixes everything. In other words, enjoy these great floor plans and fix what comes along.

Welcome to the forum, to your 36RL and to that new RAM. Lots of information here. You can answers to most of your question that will come up. Hope you enjoy your new home on wheels as much as we have.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.peterson View Post
That would be our floorplan of choice if we were to buy again. It wasn't available when we bought ours.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote