Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #1

Does anyone know the brand name of the regulator/switch that Redwood uses on these trailers? How can you tell when one tank is empty without taking it out? My old 5er's regulator/switch indicted what tank I was using and when a switch had happened.
ddurkeeiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #2

there is an arrow on the switch and a site glass on the regulator that turns red when the tank is empty at least that is how it works on my 36FL
Old 09-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #3

Agreed, red flag in the view window when tank in use is empty, and handle should point to primary tank. As for the switch over, there are several thoughts on it. I only run on one tank even if it might mean going out in the cold or rain to turn on the other tank. Many turn both on and let the auto switchover Reg take care of things, which is fine, but you have to remember to regularly check that window or you could wake up cold to two empty tanks. We each have to decide what works best.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #4

The arrow is on the black lever you use to switch tanks. It's difficult to see and if you weren't actually looking for it, you wouldn't know it was there. They have made the arrow white or some contrasting color to make it more user friendly. The site glass is also difficult to see because of the way it's mounted.
Like mhs4771, I run off one tank at a time and switch to the full one when the first one is empty. Of course it always runs out at 3:00 am on a cool night but at least I know I have a full tank in reserve.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #5

Thanks folks. It looks like I'm going to go the one bottle at a time route. Seems better than ending up with two empties.
ddurkeeiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #6

We leave both on because we keep our freezer filled and I don't want to loose anything if the power fails at the campground when we are not there. If you never leave the unit then turn one off. BUT!!!