Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2015, 01:35 AM   #1
csb

Propane heating problem

Went out this weekend for first time after dewinterizing. Everything went great with the propane heating until last night.
The thermostat came on but would never light. Friday night it worked perfectly. Both tanks are full no worries there. Gas is getting to the stove and the water heater just not the floor heater.
any ideas????
Old 03-09-2015, 01:44 AM   #2

Turn your thermostat off, then back on to heat. Wait a few minutes between cycles. Do this a few times. Sometimes the furnace needs to purge air from the gas line before it will light. If if doesn't happen right away it tends to shut down for the sake of safety. Try that a few times. It might light properly.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:30 AM   #3

We have the same problem. We have tried everything suggested. Had it in the shop for six weeks. They changed the thermostat. Still doesn't work. I called redwood. Just got a rude customer service person who informed me to take it back to the dealership again. We full time in ours and if they didn't get it right after six weeks I don't expect another six will make a difference. We are so disappointed with redwood.
Hairfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
Went out this weekend for first time after dewinterizing. Everything went great with the propane heating until last night.
The thermostat came on but would never light. Friday night it worked perfectly. Both tanks are full no worries there. Gas is getting to the stove and the water heater just not the floor heater.
any ideas????
We had the same problem it turn out to be the 5amp fuse in side the thermostat. All you need to do is pop off the cover and check the fuse.
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #5

Wow - I did not know there was a fuse in the thermostat! Good info - Thanks j1251b!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:14 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairfairy View Post
We have the same problem. We have tried everything suggested. Had it in the shop for six weeks. They changed the thermostat. Still doesn't work. I called redwood. Just got a rude customer service person who informed me to take it back to the dealership again. We full time in ours and if they didn't get it right after six weeks I don't expect another six will make a difference. We are so disappointed with redwood.
Did it work when you picked it up after the six weeks? The dealer should have proved to you that it worked?
Old 03-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #7

It worked when we picked it up. That night we woke up at 12:00 and it was blowing cold air. Same problem. Works for three or four cycles then furnace won't engage. I spoke to soon saying how great Explore USA did. Also found out they didn't replace ice maker water line. Just cut it and did a quick fix. Line has holes in it. They also fixed our slide. Now I can throw rocks thru the gap at the floor. Got to love it. Thermostat they put in is now rocking on the wall. Redwood wants me to take it back to them. Don't think so.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #8

We had a problem with our furnace last fall, not sure if the symptoms were similar to yours or not. In our case the thermostat would click calling for heat but the furnace wouldn't operate, all other thermostat functions (cooling etc.) worked.

The problem was the main board in the furnace, a mobile tech replaced it and it's worked well since.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:36 PM   #9

Quote:
It worked when we picked it up. That night we woke up at 12:00 and it was blowing cold air. Same problem. Works for three or four cycles then furnace won't engage. I spoke to soon saying how great Explore USA did. Also found out they didn't replace ice maker water line. Just cut it and did a quick fix. Line has holes in it. They also fixed our slide. Now I can throw rocks thru the gap at the floor. Got to love it. Thermostat they put in is now rocking on the wall. Redwood wants me to take it back to them. Don't think so.
Which one did you go to?
I have actually had the best (not perfect) response from the Fort Worth store on I-35 near Burleson... but still minimum of 6 weeks to do anything...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #10

We went to the one in Canton, TX. I came out with more damage than fixes. We live in our RV and don't want to go another 6 weeks on a maybe they will fix things. I'm not sure what to do, but, I do know I have many regrets over this product and Explore USA.I wish we had never bought Redwood. I know all have problems, its how you get your problems handled that is unacceptable.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #11

Quote:
We went to the one in Canton, TX. I came out with more damage than fixes. We live in our RV and don't want to go another 6 weeks on a maybe they will fix things. I'm not sure what to do, but, I do know I have many regrets over this product and Explore USA.I wish we had never bought Redwood. I know all have problems, its how you get your problems handled that is unacceptable.
Trust me, you are not the first to have issues with Canton. I purchased my Redwood from there and I will say the process and price was great. When it came time to have my leaky shower fixed, after two tries, I fixed it myself but because of what Canton had done in their so-called repair, I spent extra hours removing their caulk job so I could do it right. Thanks to me, no more shower leak. Do not despair, Redwood will stand behind their product and warranty! You need to be very professional and persistent with Redwood but do not settle for any thing other than the correct fixes. If the Redwood/Crossroads Customer Service tech gives you the run around, ask for his/her supervisor and so on until you get someone who will listen to you. Take pictures and document your issues and if you need to send the info to Jim Lazzarino, Redwood General Mgr. He is fantastic and seems very concerned that Redwood purchasers be happy with their product. I would recommend another Redwood Dealer to try but there are none in this area that I would trust with my Redwood. There are other reputable RV dealers around but not Redwood dealers. Maybe due to your circumstances, Redwood would let you have the work done somewhere else and reimburse you. It never hurts to ask.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #12

Thank you for that advice. I will do that. We are so stressed out and are still working.
It just seemed that we hit a wall at Redwood, however, I will do what you said. We now have more to repair after Canton fixed (LOL) our problem.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #13

As far as the LP Furnace goes, When the cold air blowing happened were you only on battery power or hooked up to shore cord power like at a campground?? Reason I am asking is that if your batteries get low, as in volts, from usage, then the squirrel fan won't spin as fast of an rpm that is needed to satisfy the sail switch. If it doesn't turn fast enough to engage this switch, then the furnace won't ignite. It is preventing an unsafe operation. When low voltage occurs it will cycle and try to go thru the steps to ignite, but if the squirrel cage doesn't spin fast enough , no go.

Chris
Old 03-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #14

We are fulltime at a campground. Hooked up to shore power. Furnace will run for a few hours then shut down. Only the fan will run. We have to reset it
Old 03-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #15

So sorry to hear your issues...
We have a trip planned to Canton for first monday 4/1 thru 4/5 - we were supposed to go buy the Canton to look at the new Heartland...

(that is - if I get our brake lite/turn signal issue fixed in time! - I did prove it shorted out a fuse on the truck)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:26 PM   #16

OK, just checking. Just trying to eliminate possibilities one at a time. If thermostat has already been replaced, then maybe main board on the furnace.

Chris