Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 02:57 AM   #1

Problems

We just bought a 2018 3901WB and we've had some issues. I'm curious to hear if anyone else has had issues? Anywhere from trim to your gate valves. I will post our problems shortly.
55 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:35 AM   #2

1. Air in the brake system. Contamination in the brake fluid. Nearly empty brake reservoir.

2. A leaking gray tank valve (don’t know which one).

3. Living room slideout window weather strip fell off.

4. Inverter fried (literally) itself.

5. Bathroom floor delaminating.

6. Bedroom wall panels separating at seams.

Mostly “little” things but the glacially slow warranty process means my coach has been in the shop 6 of the 10 months of ownership. Unfortunately that seems to be standard operating practices.

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:25 PM   #3

1. Had to remove every a/c vent out of ceiling and vacuum all the wood shaving from them cutting the hole to put vent in.
2. Two wires hooked up incorrectly on the control panel for the electric side of the hot water heater. Took us a week to figure that one out.
3. Black tank and one gray tank gate valves leaking. Bought external valve to keep water in black tank from draining.
4. The fridge doors hits the trim above it and keeps the doors from opening all the way. Tried to lower the fridge but wheels are already touching the floor.
5. Multiple trim issues.
6. Had to re-caulk above awning, gutters, shower, around bathroom sink and tops of slides.
7. Had the screws that hold the middle shower door up fall out. Had to disassemble the entire thing to be able to put back in.
8. Slide windows don't stay open. Latches to hold open don't line up.
9. Compartment door on door side scrapes as it shuts.
10. Cracking in the corners of the roof where it meets the front and rear caps.
11. Propane regulator makes weird noises. On our 4th rv and never heard it before.
12. The wood ceiling accent is sagging in a couple spots.
13. DVD player quit after a week.
14. Rear shade needs to be replaced.

And this is all in the first 3 weeks, and we've had to make most of the repairs ourselves because we live in it and can't be without a home. I'm wondering who's job it is to catch these things?.?
Old 05-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #4

Sad, but true that if you are capable, have tools and willing to make repairs yourself, you will get a lot more enjoyment out of your Redwood (literally).

I know it’s not fair, but to prevent the dealer from taking most of your camping season away, ignore the warranty for most of the issues and fix them yourself It’s worth it to stay in control of your unit and control the quality of the repair (not to mention the time off from work, mileage to/from, mis- communication, staus phone calls and finger pointing for months of delay.)

I eventually had to deal with over 50 serious problems the first year I had my ‘12RL. If I had depended on the dealer to make all those repairs, my trailer would probably still be there.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:39 AM   #5

Well said. My wife and I are a bit OCD and we would rather do it ourself.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:57 AM   #6

It sounds like Keystone isn't doing the job any better than the last company. sorry to hear that thinks have not made a turn for the better. I like my redwood and I was hopping things would get better with Keystone.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

I am with you, quality control is not very good at the factory and if you do not do a through walk thru at your purchasing dealorship a lot of stuff could get missed. I purchased a 2018 3821RL in January which had many small issues. You are better off if you can fix your issues yourself, because you probably will do a better job. Mine is currently in the Camping world Body shop in Garner NC to fix a stress crack that developed under the bedroom slide and they have had it for two weeks. Hoping to get it back soon
Villager4557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:27 AM   #8

Do you have full body paint? How is Camping World ever going to match the paint job after they cut out the body panel to fix the broken weld? Something to think about...

My RL is long out of warranty. When mine cracks (they most always do) I think a trip back to Precision Painting will be undertaken.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #9

Problems

Yes I have full body paint and fortunately they already had another Redwood in the paint shop getting repaired. Looks like they do good work in the paint shop.
Villager4557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:09 AM   #10
Site Team

Ours was fixed at the Service Center. Can't say enough good about those guys. Wish we were going to the Rally again just to get a few things taken care of.
When they did the pinbox flex test, ours was beyond specs. I stopped in the next day before leaving it with them and Gary had about a 2'x4' section of wall cut out of the left side. He was adding gussets and braces to the frame and superstructure where welds had broken. If you look at the coach now, I would have to tell you that major work was done. It's that good. And it was almost 5 years old when they did it.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #11
par

Problems

Since you asked.... YES, more issues than I even want to list. I said I would never degrade Redwood on this site and won't. In the first 2 years we did 3 trips (and I am Canadian) to the repair facility in Topika and they did a good job with repairs. Since then, I have taken over repairs and trying to keep up. We are full-timers so arguably we are stressing this unit out, but having said that when we purchased this unit, Redwood was claiming to cater to full-timers. Good luck and keep a good set of tools with you, I do!
Old 05-28-2018, 07:04 PM   #12

Sad, I had actually considered buying a newer RW thinking surely all issues have been addressed. WRONG! I have had most every issue listed above and then some on my 2015 38GK.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
Sad, but true that if you are capable, have tools and willing to make repairs yourself, you will get a lot more enjoyment out of your Redwood (literally).

I know it’s not fair, but to prevent the dealer from taking most of your camping season away, ignore the warranty for most of the issues and fix them yourself It’s worth it to stay in control of your unit and control the quality of the repair (not to mention the time off from work, mileage to/from, mis- communication, staus phone calls and finger pointing for months of delay.)

I eventually had to deal with over 50 serious problems the first year I had my ‘12RL. If I had depended on the dealer to make all those repairs, my trailer would probably still be there.
X2 - there is truly an intimacy to doing your own repairs. Chances are your own work will be far superior with attention to detail only the owner can provide.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:41 PM   #14

I tell people......”Most likely you know more about repairing what is broken than the minimum wage employees fixing it.” The looks I get is amazing 😳
Old 05-29-2018, 11:15 PM   #15

Brad and Tom, I do not mind doing a little repair to what is normal wear and breakage. In fact I enjoy repairing and making improvements along the way. However when I lay down 80 k for a RV that we are assured is for the full timer and all the warranty stuff yada yada yada.... Only to purchase it and it to spend 4 of the first 6 months i owned it in the shop with items which I cannot do myself or at least with out help. And from what I hear nothing has changed with these guys. Same AC problems. Same Roof issues. Same poor quality control issues. Anyway. Mine is finally all fixed with exception of a Air conditioners which cannot be fixed without removing the whole roof and designing it as it should have been to begin with. So I will keep on complaining and ..... being a pain .... LOL! And enjoy my RW as best I can. Cheers!
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #16

I guess we have lucked out a bit - out of the 3 new fivers we bought, none really had to go back in for warranty repair. I took some in, and after the agony of leaving it there for weeks to get done what I could have did in a few hours, and better, I just quit taking it back.

For the Redwood, we actually go to the point I would text a picture of what was broke to the local Dealer, he would get me parts, and I would pick them up and install at my leisure. Sometimes he wanted parts back, sometimes not. Best part was, he wasn't even my selling Dealer. I got cabinet hinges (he painted even), a fender (he painted), half a dozen nickel peeling plumbing fixtures, window latches, etc.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:43 PM   #17

I said many times before, if you're not somewhat of a handyman, can work with tools, not afraid to tear into things & have basic plumbing & household & automotive electrical knowledge your rv experience will consist of driving by your repair facility watching your rv sit "waiting on authorization" or "waiting on parts" that will most likely have to be repaired again.
Fortunately I was as lucky as Brad. Mine went to the factory following the '13 rally & had all the minor repairs made in about 6 hours, other than that I did what few there have been with parts or reimbursement from RW. The majority of it's not complicated just a bit intimidating, read Tomkidders post above!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:51 PM   #18
Site Team

Same as Brad and Danny. As a good friend told me many years ago when I goy into boats - " if you don't know the correct end of a screwdriver to hold and what to do with it, you better have a large wallet and patience "

Same holds for RVs even more so. Mine has been back to the Service Center twice. Once at the same time as Danny and then a second for a structural issue. Everything else along the way I did the repair and most time RW sent me the parts. Like Danny and Brad, I didnt need all that much but would much rather do it myself.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:38 AM   #19

Another lucky owner like the 3 above me.. the only visits back to the dealer for warranty were for items that Redwood did not supply... Carefree handled 2 visits, and Redwood 1 Visit...

It really comes sown to the dealer working for YOU... Mine is GREAT, like Brad, I send pics and they usually handle it that way. They have even had items smaller shipped to my house and told RW they installed... (cargo door strut )
All the rest were small tricky tack items I fixed myself....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:09 AM   #20

The one time I had my RW in the shop for warranty repair was when I needed to store it for a couple months. I did give them a pretty good list. But had I not needed to store the RV I would have done them myself.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote