Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #1

Preparing to de-winterize

We will be moving our RV from storage to our permanent location later this week and will now have full hookups. With my previous TT, it was nothing to "de-winterize", as all I did was blow out the lines and pour antifreeze in all the p-traps, etc. to winterize it.

With my new RW, I had the dealer winterize it for me since I wasn't use to having to worry about refrigerator, dish washer, washing machine, etc. Is this something that is relatively easy to "de-winterize" or should I take it back to the dealer and have them do it to make sure I get rid of all the antifreeze?

Though our plans are not to move into it completely until the end of February, we will definitely be spending a lot of time in it until then. It's a pain not to have any water while we're working in it, especially if we try to spend the night in it over the weekends.
sbenhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #2

Depending on where you are...
if you don't have heat in it, you should leave it winterized...

How about bringing bottled water for drinking and
using the campground showers until you move in ?

in lieu of that though,
You have a res fridge or rv fridge ?

do just the reverse of winterizing, drain and blow out the lines, then run water to flush...
for the icemaker - with an rv fridge you can get to the back and drain the icemaker, otherwise, just let it make ice until it's not pink
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #3

I stay in our unit at least one night on the weekends with no hook ups but use a portable generator. I was filling the water tank up by dragging a hose to the neighbors house approximately 300 feet but got tired of of doing that when freezing temps hit every other weekend and I had to empty the water tank and winterize once again. I just bring a five gallon container of water for the purpose of flushing the commode and washing hands. Other than pouring additional anti freeze into the P traps (of those sinks I use) and commode and keeping the galley tanks dry is how I survive. Cannot stay more than two nights or the smell starts to get to me

It is relatively easy to winterize these units but be ready to use a couple of gallons every time you do it. If you have a ice maker and washer it can get aggravating winterizing! We are going full time at the end of March and it will be easier then. Waiting on all of the full hook ups to get installed at the home camp!
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #4

And if it was winterized with pink rv antifreeze be sure after rinsing antifreeze out that you turn off water, drain off pressure and remove filter canister cover and install new filter in whole house canister behind basement wall. Dealer should have removed old filter when they winterized your coach.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote