Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2015, 03:27 AM   #1

Smile Power surge

Seems like for the past few weeks the voltage in my RW goes up and down specially at night I contacted a friend that stayed at exact same spot with different Rv (toy hauler) said it happen to him too.
So now i was wondering if I should get a surge protector between my plug from pedestal to Rv cord? The Rv park said it would be a few weeks before the sent electrician out here to check the problem. I'm already skirted and set with my 200gal propane tank would hate if I needed to move.

So far found surge guard TRC 44270 50A entry level portable surge protector.
Any ideas please.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:18 AM   #2

Many on this site use a Progressive Industries Surge protector, either the portable model or hardwired. I have ordered the hardwired version for my new RW GK as it is just a bit more than the portable version, and I won't have to worry about it sprouting legs and walking off. In my opinion, it was worth the $3-400 for piece of mind to protect the sensitive electronics.
Keep in mind, these do not filter the fluctuations. That would be a line voltage filter or conditioner. I think Progressive Industries have these too.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:29 AM   #3

thanks for that reply I looked them up and the are around $650 little much for something the rv park should be responsible for. thanks for the input I appreciate it .
Old 10-03-2015, 04:53 AM   #4

$650 is cheap insurance my friend. I have a friend who has a high dollar coach. Was parked at a site which had power surges like you described. His coach caught fire and completely burned up all the wiring and panel box. His next Coach came with one hardwired in. I had portable one on my last coach and I have on on my RW. I would not be caught plugging in with out one.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #5

I have two plug in surge guards (a 30 and a 50 amp) that have migrated with us from previous 5th wheelers. I've hit campgrounds with low voltage, missing one leg on the 50 amp service and mis-wired plugs (hot and neutral backwards). The surge guards have prevented problems.

Before I got the surge guards I got a "tingle" of voltage, I was holding onto the RV door and standing on wet grass, that campground had a mis-wired plug and I was the path to ground!

A surge guard is a good idea!
Old 10-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #6

What?? $650?

How about $300 for one of the best permanent type:

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...dynamics+surge

So here's how it works - the park is responsible for providing electricity, but if it damages your rig, watch how fast he pulls out the disclaimers and it will go to your insurance company for repairs, and they will send it to the Dealer which will probably take 3-4 months realistically because of the complications of diagnosing electrical damage, and there goes your new skirting and soft bed.

The hardwire suppressors are cheaper that the portable ones - like for like - and they don't walk off. If you found a portable that is cheaper, that is because it doesn't offer the same level of protection. The portable one of this model is $50 more http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...ords=EMS-PT50C

These do watch for surge:
High & Low Voltage Protection
(Low <104, High 132>)
· Lost/Open Neutral Protection
· Frequency Protection
(Low <51Hz, High 69Hz>)

The only down side is, when it senses crummy input, it's going to shut you down.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
What?? $650?

How about $300 for one of the best permanent type:

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...dynamics+surge

So here's how it works - the park is responsible for providing electricity, but if it damages your rig, watch how fast he pulls out the disclaimers and it will go to your insurance company for repairs, and they will send it to the Dealer which will probably take 3-4 months realistically because of the complications of diagnosing electrical damage, and there goes your new skirting and soft bed.

The hardwire suppressors are cheaper that the portable ones - like for like - and they don't walk off. If you found a portable that is cheaper, that is because it doesn't offer the same level of protection. The portable one of this model is $50 more Amazon.com: Progressive Industries EMSPT50C Surge Protector: Automotive

These do watch for surge:
High & Low Voltage Protection
(Low <104, High 132>)
· Lost/Open Neutral Protection
· Frequency Protection
(Low <51Hz, High 69Hz>)

The only down side is, when it senses crummy input, it's going to shut you down.

Brad, you are right on. I have a portable Progressive Industries EMSPT50C Surge Protector which is my 2cd unit. The biggest problem that I see with the portable unit is that sometime you may forget that you didn't put it in the storage compartment when leaving a site..........don't ask me how I know!!! Then the portable unit becomes even more expensive! Someone in Tennessee got a free one.

I strongly urge that everyone install one of the Progressive units.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
The biggest problem that I see with the portable unit is that sometime you may forget that you didn't put it in the storage compartment when leaving a site..........don't ask me how I know!!! Then the portable unit becomes even more expensive! Someone in Tennessee got a free one.
Ouch! I think I would rather have it stolen so I could blame someone else all the way home!
Old 10-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #9

I've used the portable one now for more than 7 years & knock on wood, I haven't left it behind & it hasn't walked off, I had the first one fried at a park from who knows what, thankfully no harm to our SOB! I personally will not be without one regardless of cost, it's cheap insurance on the electrical/electronic equipment.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #10

I also have the portable one and will not plug in without it. I will say that I would rather the protector shut me down than fry all my electronics or who knows what else. I have found that many of the RV parks have lockable lids on their pedestals allowing me to secure my surge protector. I carry a small padlock for those instances. When there is no securing the lid(cover) then I use a cable and a large padlock which locks onto the surge protector and the pedestal at the same time. It won't stop a serious thief but it will stop most people.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:05 AM   #11

Hardwired Progressive here with remote display
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Hardwired Progressive here with remote display
In retrospect, I really wish I went with a remote display. When it rains it pours and that's exactly when all the electrical issues start to happen, and that is me in my robe crawling up on top of the batteries in a hurricane trying to figure out what my readout is saying and why I have no power!
Old 10-04-2015, 01:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
I have found that many of the RV parks have lockable lids on their pedestals allowing me to secure my surge protector. I carry a small padlock for those instances. .
Rick - brilliant. I never even thought of that! It would save a cord from walking off too. Sure they can cut it, but I would like to see the guy after he does