Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #1

Portable generator

Can anyone tell what portable generator that you are using? We’ve considered installing the Onan but for the cost versus how often we would use it? We’d like to get a portable that had enough power for pretty much everything? Thanks
Old 04-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #2

I don't have one, but there's been enough discussion on here and my electrical background tells me that any generator that has enough capacity to "run pretty much everything" will not be "portable". That's why the onboard Onan is expensive and not portable. Numerous people on here have opted for smaller generators to run a few essential low current devices on a temporary basis,

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #3

We have a Honda EU2000i. It does NOT run everything but tops off the batteries to keep the residential fridge running and the 12 volt LED lights on. In one extreme case (100+ degree weather) we were able to get one AC unit running at a truck stop for the night but had to turn everything else off, including the battery chargers. Even then, we had to start the air conditioners fan before the compressor for a "soft" start.

If it weren't for the residential fridge, I would probably not have a generator at all. In the 4 years we have had our rig, we have only put about 50 hours on the generator and most of that was from an freak extended power outage at a campground in a major city.
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:15 PM   #4

I used the 2 Honda Eu2000’s with a parallel kit for a few years, they would work 1 AC and the rest of the trailer for about 7 hrs if the AC was running..

I got tired of lugging them around, and setting them up everytime we needed to use them, and making sure they were filled up.. I now have an Onan 6.5... don’t use it a lot, but when I need it, I hit 1 button !
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
I got tired of lugging them around, and setting them up everytime we needed to use them, and making sure they were filled up..
We converted ours to a "tri-fuel" gasoline, natural gas and propane. Connect right to the same LP low pressure port as our grill. 80 lbs of fuel always with us
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:39 AM   #6

We had the Dual Honda's, but as Joe said, a real pain to get them out, hook them up and chain them to the rig to make sure they didn't walk away. Then when done had to wait for them to cool down before re-storing them.
Sold them when we got our first RW that we ordered with the 5.5 Onan, while we don't use it alot, it's there when we want it and it will run everything.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:22 AM   #7

I see that Honda now has a 7K inverter generator, $3995 at the local D&B store. If I didn’t have the Onan, I’d be tempted.

Edit: 7KW...

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:26 PM   #8
Site Team

I carry a Champion 3100 as a "just in case" backup. It will run 1 ac and a few other things without overloading it. Not as quiet as a Honda but it won't disturb anyone 30-40' away. For the $750-800 it cost, I consider it good insurance. Having said that, I've used it 3 times in a little over two years and one of those was in the storage lot b fore we went fulltime. I'm seriously considering selling it.

If I was going to add a generator with the intent of using it a lot, I would go to the Cummings smaller Diesel one that's 6500 and add a Diesel tank for longer run time.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #9

We have a "portable" Honda 3000IS mounted in the back of the pick up box. It's powerful enough to run 1 A/C unit and a few lights etc. It really isn't portable for me due to the weight.

As others have suggested, make sure you "need" it, not "want" it, ours doesn't get very much use other than once a month to keep the starter battery charged since we go "plug to plug" all the time. You should also know (probably not on your unit) that some electronics don't like it's floating neutral, we had a power failure at home due to an ice storm and our gas furnace electronics detected a "bad ground". There is an easy work around I found after the fact, fixed for the next power failure!
Old 04-28-2018, 09:48 PM   #10

We carried a Honda 3000IS in the generator compart. Could not use it much as the fumes would come into the front of the RV. It would also get hot and shut down after about 20 minutes since there is no way for it to get air. With its weight, getting it in and out by myself was not an option. I just put it on a sliding tray, on the left side of the basement compart. Will see if that works any better.

Rick