Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #1

Plumbing issues

We have a 2016 Redwood Sequoia 5th wheel with front bath. The plumbing does not drop straight down into the tanks since it is in the front overhang.The toilet is always backing up even though the tank is emptied and shows empty on the monitor. Yesterday we put 2 large pots of boiling water down the toilet and didn't use it until today. When we used it this morning the water began to fill the pipe again. I went outside and opened the valve and only about a gallon came out. The toilet pipe was still full. Has anyone had this problem? Is it a valve issue?
tditalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #2

Have you ever heard the expression "that sh#t rolls downhill", I think that's your problem, they mounted the piping at the wrong angle not a valve issue. Don't know anything about your particular rv but may be a warranty issue if the piping is under the overhang.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #3

Not sure what model you have but our RW 36RL had a similar problem initially, the sewer pipe under the toilet runs at about a 30 degree angle down to the BW tank.

I found that after a few usages the pipe was "coated" properly and there were no blockages. The other thing to do is to fill the toilet with water (holding the pedal to run the water without opening the valve, on some toilets you hold the peddle up, on others like Dometic you hold it slightly down) before completely flushing. This will force the contents down.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #4

could it be a vent issue?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #5

It could be but probably not. You would get bubbling or some smell blowback first before a block.

I've seen the same problem on other RVs with angled pipe to the BMW tank
almcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #6

x2 on maybe not enough water going down. I would try depressing the pedal slightly to allow more water to fill the bowl before dumping toilet. Also a continuous 4 or 5 gallon flow from a 5 gallon bucket while holding the flush flapper valve open couldn't hurt either. It should go down. You need to figure out just how much liquid to have in the bowl to flush all the solids all the way to the tank.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #7

At Home Depot you can rent a plumbers inspection camera so you can fish it down and see exactly what the blockage is. Maybe some one at the factory dropped a screw driver down the pipe. And finally with stuff attaching to it it blocks. Does the pipe slowly drain on its own?? If you do use the camera you will see if the slope is wrong..If you don't want to look first try this...

Looked at the "water drawings" for the 36FL that are in the library. (Realize it is not the same unit)It looks like RW do not use a "P" trap like most RVs. The toilet can't be much more than 10' from the tank. I would go to Home Depot buy the cheapest hose. Cut the male end off. So the tip is rubber and can't catch or damage anything. Turn off the water to the toilet. (house water pressure). So you can open the flapper without water running. Also be geltile around the "flapper seal" not to damage it. Slowly feed the hose down the drain. If you reach the tank just by pushing the hose through. Great. Then turn it on and slowly pull it back so you are completely washing the pipe out. If you don't reach the tank wrap a wet towel around the hose in the toilet (to make a seal) and slowly turn on the water to force the blockage through. By the drawing all vent stacks are attached to the tanks so the pressure should do it. Just don't force enough that you blow a joint apart.
P.S. Don't use one of your wife's good towels...I did once
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tditalia View Post
We have a 2016 Redwood Sequoia 5th wheel with front bath. The plumbing does not drop straight down into the tanks since it is in the front overhang.The toilet is always backing up even though the tank is emptied and shows empty on the monitor. Yesterday we put 2 large pots of boiling water down the toilet and didn't use it until today. When we used it this morning the water began to fill the pipe again. I went outside and opened the valve and only about a gallon came out. The toilet pipe was still full. Has anyone had this problem? Is it a valve issue?
I have the 2016 39mb RW. and I have the same problem with my toilet. It flushes properly 2 or 3 times them it blows back into the toilet. I have been using a plunger first let the pipe fill up with water them turn off the water supply and plunge the pipe. I have been in contact with redwood and they say the problem is with the manufacturer of the tank. RW believes that when the drain hole was cut out that they didn't remove the cut out instead they left it hanging in the tank some how. I am taking my rig into Byoung rv for repairs on the 22nd of Feb. RW is replacing my black tank and fresh water tank due to failure. I have 23 items that need to be fixed . Mark at RW has been great at getting my problems taken care of in a short time. Byoung Rv has done every thing they can do in a short time to get me in their shop. they said it will be a two week job. I am happy with all involved now I will just wait and see how it all turns out. GLAD TO SEE REDWOOD DOES STAND BEHIND THEIR WARRENTY!
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:48 AM   #9

Interesting, we also have a 2016 39MB and don't have a single problem with the toilet or black tank, work exactly like they should.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:11 AM   #10

Not all rigs will have this problem with their black tank. this problems is due to the hole cutter not cutting the hole completely out of the tank. this leaves the peace hanging in the tank and it acts like a flapper. this is what I was told by RW's warranty dept.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-08-2016, 05:22 AM   #11

My bet is on the inlet pipe going too far down in the tank. The paper and solids can't get out of the inlet pipe.

Mark
Old 02-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #12

One of the advantages of the FL Layout is the Bathroom is in the rear near the bedroom. the Toilet sits right on top of the Black Tank similar to a Travel Trailer, no pipe of any kind to get clogged up, you can see directly into the black tank.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET156 View Post
I have the 2016 39mb RW. and I have the same problem with my toilet. It flushes properly 2 or 3 times them it blows back into the toilet. I have been using a plunger first let the pipe fill up with water them turn off the water supply and plunge the pipe. I have been in contact with redwood and they say the problem is with the manufacturer of the tank. RW believes that when the drain hole was cut out that they didn't remove the cut out instead they left it hanging in the tank some how. I am taking my rig into Byoung rv for repairs on the 22nd of Feb. RW is replacing my black tank and fresh water tank due to failure. I have 23 items that need to be fixed . Mark at RW has been great at getting my problems taken care of in a short time. Byoung Rv has done every thing they can do in a short time to get me in their shop. they said it will be a two week job. I am happy with all involved now I will just wait and see how it all turns out. GLAD TO SEE REDWOOD DOES STAND BEHIND THEIR WARRENTY!
We have the same problem with our 15 39MB and got no joy from either the dealer or RW. So far we have just dealt with it. Have to use a lot of water when using any TP, and I mean a lot of water. But we still have the problem at times.

Have the same issue with the half bath but using a lot of water has seemed to resolve it in that bath.

ET, please let us know if yours gets fixed. Might give the rest of some leverage.

Rick
Old 02-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Interesting, we also have a 2016 39MB and don't have a single problem with the toilet or black tank, work exactly like they should.
Agree........ no problem(s) with my 39MB in this regard either.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #15

Same here, have 2015, 39MB, no problem with my tanks either, thank god.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET156 View Post
Not all rigs will have this problem with their black tank. this problems is due to the hole cutter not cutting the hole completely out of the tank. this leaves the peace hanging in the tank and it acts like a flapper. this is what I was told by RW's warranty dept.
I was wondering about that. Would explain the problem he is having
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET156

Personally, I would call BS on the RW warranty departments explanation. If the tank piece didn't get cut all the way through and was hanging like a flapper then the tank gasket wouldn't fit in the opening properly and there is NO way it would have held water for a proper water flood test. The tank gaskets are like an "H". They fit down in the tank and on top, and placing or pushing the dwv pipe into it makes it seal. I have observed lots of times when the pipes are very hard to get into these gaskets and they have to use blocks of wood and a hammer to get the pipe in place.

Sometimes they have to use soapy water along with the hammer and block of wood. Notice the rings on the inside that help seal, like several 'O' rings. Also notice there is a bottom lip that is all the further the pipe is to extend. Pushing the pipe past this will make the tank capacity smaller, because you wouldn't be able to get the fluids in without allowing the air to vent.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXRAS View Post
We have the same problem with our 15 39MB and got no joy from either the dealer or RW. So far we have just dealt with it. Have to use a lot of water when using any TP, and I mean a lot of water. But we still have the problem at times.

Have the same issue with the half bath but using a lot of water has seemed to resolve it in that bath.

ET, please let us know if yours gets fixed. Might give the rest of some leverage.

Rick
Rick, I will post results as soon as I do a pdi of all repairs at the dealer.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by r time soon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET156

Personally, I would call BS on the RW warranty departments explanation. If the tank piece didn't get cut all the way through and was hanging like a flapper then the tank gasket wouldn't fit in the opening properly and there is NO way it would have held water for a proper water flood test. The tank gaskets are like an "H". They fit down in the tank and on top, and placing or pushing the dwv pipe into it makes it seal. I have observed lots of times when the pipes are very hard to get into these gaskets and they have to use blocks of wood and a hammer to get the pipe in place.

Sometimes they have to use soapy water along with the hammer and block of wood. Notice the rings on the inside that help seal, like several 'O' rings. Also notice there is a bottom lip that is all the further the pipe is to extend. Pushing the pipe past this will make the tank capacity smaller, because you wouldn't be able to get the fluids in without allowing the air to vent.

Chris
Chris I don't care what BS they talk as long as they fix the problem. RW is on it and they are more than willing to pull the tank to find the problem. My new tank is already at the dealer so we will see shortly what the problem is and I will post it and I hope it will help others that are having this problem.