Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #1

Parking near the ocean for extended periods...

We have the chance to stay and work camp at an RV park that's just across the street from the Gulf of Mexico. I'm wondering about the effects on the RV from parking there for an extended period. Both times we've driven down to check out the place our car had a noticeable film covering it after being there for only a short period.

The wife is pretty set on going but I'm a bit leery.....

Thomas and Shana
R.I.P. Skip. We miss you old boy. Our travels will never be the same....

2015 Redwood 38RL
2013 Ford F-350 King Ranch 4WD DRW
thomas861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #2

The salt water will get to it eventually, but you can make a habit of washing, lubing, waxing, topside and undercarriage regularly
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

DEFINE EXTENDED PERIOD***

I can only say that every year while at Myrtle Beach Travel Park, I look at all the trailers that get towed in from the storage lot... there are newer trailers there that would never be road worthy due to rust..

Now I realize that those are there for LONG periods, sometimes years...But that just show just how corrosive salt water and salt air can be... It seams like there is almost always a sea breeze blowing moisture in from the ocean..

Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
DEFINE EXTENDED PERIOD***

I can only say that every year while at Myrtle Beach Travel Park, I look at all the trailers that get towed in from the storage lot... there are newer trailers there that would never be road worthy due to rust..

Now I realize that those are there for LONG periods, sometimes years...But that just show just how corrosive salt water and salt air can be... It seams like there is almost always a sea breeze blowing moisture in from the ocean..

Joe

Probably a minimum of two months. However the opportunity could be there to stay 6 months or longer.

Thomas and Shana

2015 Redwood 38RL
Old 02-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #5

Anything metal WILL rust, anything aluminum WILL oxidize, anything glass WILL look frosted every morning, the wind WILL blow, you WILL need to wash everything regularly, other than that it should be nice. DW said when we retire "park me near water" now she says "park me near a lake, NOT an ocean".
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #6

we are about 2 city blocks from the ocean at Juno Ocean Walk, Juno Beach and been here since dec 10. actually i was under the unit this afternoon and noticed some of the beams looked like the rust was showing so tomorrow I'll go get some rust inhibiting tremclad. it helps i find. also be sure wash it say every 2 weeks. for me the killer south is the sun. i wax my unit 3-4 times a year and it helps the gelcoat.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:25 AM   #7

Interesting post. I never considered what the atmosphere could do to the metal on a used RV. We turned one away that had significant rust on the lower cabinetry and it was less than 5 years old. I always thought it was road grime, didn't think it might have been parked next to an ocean.

Us inlanders don't have a clue! We focus on freeze and wind
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:07 AM   #8

Our last MH went to Myrtle Beach many times a year and with just normal washing on return or when I got to it after 8 years I had almost no rust under it except I did paint the storage compartment boxes a few times as they are lightweight metal and had some surface rust starting. Life is short and don't let rust get in your way... Enjoy it. Rust can be replaced!

Steve
Old 02-25-2017, 03:41 AM   #9

Thanks for the responses. I'm still a bit leery of it and I can't say the prospects of having to frequently wash our 38RL excite me either.

Thomas and Shana

2015 Redwood 38RL
Old 02-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #10

If I had the opportunity to do what you might do, I'd jump on it. Wash regularly, wax and never look back. Nothing better than salt water in the veins. You only realize how much you miss it once you don't have it.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:07 AM   #11

Work camping on the Gulf

We are wrapping up a 5 month work camping stay at Mustang Island State Park on the gulf. I lubricated every 2 weeks with a product called Corrosion X. I run the slides in and out every 2 weeks. I wash the trailer every 2 weeks and try to hit the under carriage as much as possible. The wind blows almost every day some days harder than others. Do not forget to lubricate the inside to. You should spin your wheels once a month to keep them from rusting in place.
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #12

Just love Mustang Island.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #13
HTX

Extended beach living

I'm up in Rockport TX about 50 feet from the bay full timing. I brought the RW in back in August and sprayed the underside with Fluid Film using a small compressor and kit they make for that purpose.

I went under the unit 2 weeks ago to inspect and do a little touch up if needed but saw no signs of rust or corrosion. I originally bought a gallon of the stuff and used about 3 quarts but lost a good bit of material trying to spray when it was too windy.

You can find Fluid film and the sprayer on ebay or Amazon but I bought it at The Rust Store www.theruststore.com Which in itself is a great site.