Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #1

Pantry Door

My pantry door (36RL) has broken off the hinges twice. Cannot figure out why. The only hinge still attached is the top hinge. Drawers are still in place and locked in. Any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #2

Had the same issues with ours. I used wood glue and toothpicks to plug the holes, then put the screws back in again. Have held up for two seasons so far. We also place a pillow between the counter and pantry door before we travel.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathog99 View Post
My pantry door (36RL) has broken off the hinges twice. Cannot figure out why. The only hinge still attached is the top hinge. Drawers are still in place and locked in. Any suggestions?

I haven't had the problem with the pantry door, although, I do keep my eye on it. I did have the problem with one hinge on a cabinet door in the bedroom. I replaced the screws with the next larger size screw and also used some Gorilla Glue and haven't had a problem with hinge coming off since the repair.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #4

Haven't had any problems with the hinges but I have had problems with the catches on the other side of doors and drawers. I find that occasionally the piece that holds the door catch locks in the closed position so that the door/drawer isn't held closed. I use a screwdriver to force the catch into the "open" position and check that each door/drawer is closed firmly before moving the RW. Maybe this is causing the hinge problem (too much hammering in transit)?
Old 05-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

Fathog99, are your drawers inside the pantry secured? You say "locked in", but the factory never provided the means to do that, so I assume you added something?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #6

We have not been traveling for 6 months, but the bottom and top latches broke. No one locally sells the latch. SO I guess I will have to either contact the dealer service at Explore or hope I can get someone from the factory to send me new ones. The expanding piece is good, just the supporting piece inside the pantry broke. I took from the washer/dryer closet to rehang my pantry door.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Contact Redwood Service and email a picture of the hinge. I replaced 2 of mine and all they needed was a picture to make sure they got the right hinge to me.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:13 AM   #8

Pantry door

I used a piece of trim board i.e.1/2 " thick by about 3" wide and the length of the height from the 'floor' of the pantry to just above the top drawer of the pantry. I insert this board positioned just behind the door locks and flush against right inside wall of the cabinet. The clamps are clamped holding the board to two of the drawers, this keeps thr board in position. I the use spring wood clamps to hold this board in place. This keeps all drawers in position and can't bang against the pantry door.
Applecore38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #9

The factory installed locks in the back of my drawers. I really don't think the drawers are coming loose and hitting the door. If you look even if the drawers came loose they could only travel about two inches and I don't feel they could generate that much force to knock the door off the hinges.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #10

I went to Explore USA in Ft. Worth (Redwood Dealership). I took a latch with me, walked into the service side and was told they do not sell parts over the counter and suggested I go to Home Depot or Lowes. I called Redwood this morning and after being transferred three times, I was given a phone number to Tiara RV after they found out my RW was no longer under warranty. I told them I was wanting to purchase new ones. I sent them a photo of the latch to them, they called me back and are sending the latches out today. A lot of work for something that should have been simple. I even went to other RV dealers in the area with absolutely no positive results.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #11

I think Redwood really made some bad moves by changing whatever they did with the Dealers and getting parts.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #12

We should bring this up at the Rally, this is sure not the way to treat Fulltimers like us that are on the road traveling year round.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
We should bring this up at the Rally, this is sure not the way to treat Fulltimers like us that are on the road traveling year round.
There will be ample opportunity to discuss any pertinent issues you think appropriate at the rally. We are in the process of developing the agenda now and this rally should be one of value to owners. If you haven't already made plans to attend, I encourage you to do so!! The rally is scheduled for August 7-9 but we may begin on the afternoon of the 6th to cover all we wish to do.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post
I went to Explore USA in Ft. Worth (Redwood Dealership). I took a latch with me, walked into the service side and was told they do not sell parts over the counter and suggested I go to Home Depot or Lowes. I called Redwood this morning and after being transferred three times, I was given a phone number to Tiara RV after they found out my RW was no longer under warranty. I told them I was wanting to purchase new ones. I sent them a photo of the latch to them, they called me back and are sending the latches out today. A lot of work for something that should have been simple. I even went to other RV dealers in the area with absolutely no positive results.
Funny - got this in the mail the other day...
Wonder how 'valuable' we are to ExploreUSA if they didn't tell you they ordered parts, they wait 6 months to try to contact you, and they lose your contact info that is on every paper we signed, every time it went in for service, listed with the mfg. etc....

my guess it's not my parts ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCF05152015_00000.jpg (112.2 KB, 29 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:02 AM   #15

Garbage can drawer

The attached photo show what we did with the garbage can drawer. I removed the top piece with the oval opening and then cut a similar size 1/2" plywood and nailed it to the the underside, making it into a drawer. DWis sooooo happy. The bottom shelf where the garbage can would stand is where the coffee maker is stored. We place the smaller garbage can at the bedroom end of the island.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (221.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-16-2015, 01:30 AM   #16

Pantry Door

The photo shows ho I used a piece of wood trim (any piece 1/2" x 3" wide and as long as from the "floor" of the pantry to the top of the top drawer. I place the piece behind the door latches and clamp the piece to two drawers. This hold the piece in place and positioned behind the latches keeps the drawer in position while traveling. Some have said that the drawers don't move much while driving, well, with all the weight that might be on those drawers, a short move can yield plenty force.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (199.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-16-2015, 01:44 AM   #17
Site Team

This will help with keeping the drawers closed. I bought them at Lowes and this eliminated all the problems. The drawers will knock the closet door off the hinges without these.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:47 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
This will help with keeping the drawers closed. I bought them at Lowes and this eliminated all the problems. The drawers will knock the closet door off the hinges without these.

Dave
After having the new coach for a while. Does it have a lot of these items we add that should come standard on them. I know every year they improve on prior years but it seems all the manufactors are still behind on the little things that matter.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Dave
After having the new coach for a while. Does it have a lot of these items we add that should come standard on them. I know every year they improve on prior years but it seems all the manufactors are still behind on the little things that matter.

Yes...

Everything is very well thought out. But keep in mind, there's a big difference in the investment.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:29 PM   #20

Pantry drawer locks

Hi All. I really don't know what you have that locks at the back of the drawers. We have a 2012 and YES, the drawers if full will force the pantry door open and it pulled my door off the hinges and broke. Fix as someone said, with the wood toothpicks and wood glue. Also had been shoving foam between door and counter. Look, this is crazy as the double clip locks on my door don't hold at all. I contacted Crossroads today and was told to contact the dealer to buy some type of strap they want to sell. I sent a note to Lazy Days in Tucon, will see what they have and what rinky dink strap that I could make on my own if I understood what they are doing. I would love to know what the locks for the drawers look like.