Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2020, 12:08 PM   #1

Painted Vinyl Trim insert replacement

If this has been answered already, please send me to the post. I have spent over an hour searching for anything on this subject. Can't be the only one with this issue. We are original owners of 2012 Redwood and did full body paint. Looks awesome still BTW. Anyway, all the painted vinyl trim insert is falling out. It has probably shrunk as did the trim around the front hitch area. It would be an easy job to just install new as it is just something you pinch into place. Since it's painted to match sidewall, hoping trim could be sealed back in but not sure what product to use. Has anyone else figured a fix? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:26 PM   #2

I used automotive clear silicon and it has been working now for a year or so.
EarlA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:39 PM   #3

Did you have to do all 40' across both sides of roof both top and bottom of the vinyl? Sure glad that has worked for you. My first attempt using caulking gun didn't work out at all. Maybe the vinyl product is the perfect fix. Do you remember the name brand of product and how much you needed for the job?
Old 08-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #4

Sorry I didn't finishing answering your questions. I only had to do the drivers side and i sealed the top and bottom both. I simply cut the nozzle that came with the tube to the smallest mark and ran a bead of sealant about ten feet long on the top and bottom then installed the plastic strip on the bottom then the top and repeated down the length of our 5th wheel. It is a few inches over 41 ft long. I would also go back with paper towels and clean the excess silicon on every section I did before continuing to the next section. Mine is painted because we have full body paint. That is the reason for cleaning so often. I hope this helps.
EarlA is offline   Reply With Quote