Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Traveling

Overwintering IN the RW for Fulltimers

Please excuse me if this was covered before, I could not find it. There has been a lot of discussion of preparing to STORE the RW for winter, with great information.

I would love to hear from those of you who have lived through a real "Winter" (as in some freezing temps, a few storms) in your RW. Sometimes I feel like we are pioneering in this area. I know there have been at least a couple of you.

We are not yet retired (couple more years to go) and must stay put here in SW Washington over the winter. It's a little daunting. Obviously we will not be "winterizing" the systems for storage, because we will be using them.

Some thoughts I had:
-Getting the electrified FW hose for outside, wrap, electric-heat-tape water outlet.
-Will make sure furnace runs in freezing temps to heat underbelly
-Am going to buy thick insulation batting to cover ext. TV under the door, then the existing "leak" to the interior should keep the tv a little warmer and it should keep less cold air from entering coach.
-I see no need to wrap/heat sewer hose. It's empty unless water is running through it, so nothing to freeze. Am I missing something on this?
-Buying a couple extra propane tanks to have on hand to keep trips to fill them to a minimum.

I am sure I am forgetting a few things. Hopefully next April I will be saying, "Winter was just fine in the RW".
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #2

TNT, I think forum member Oregonbound has wintered in Columbia Falls (NW) MT, and could enlighten you about winter living. Probably worse than LaCenter will be but they could probably help. I'm going to take the chicken way out of the problem and just go south until winterizing is no longer needed.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
lwg

TNT,
I might be in the same boat as you. The DW is trying to talk me into going back to Grand Junction, CO in December so we can look for a house and her a job. Thus far I've been in the 20's a few nights before and had no issues.

My plan is to get a heated hose, possibly a larger propane tank and possibly remove one of the walls in the basement to keep that area nice and toasty. We have a full coach RO system so we use the Fresh water tank constantly. I'll likely keep it close to full (run the system in the daytime when it's warmer) so that it has no chance of freezing. I believe that and the black tank are the tanks nearest to the outside of the coach. The two gray tanks sit on top of the black (at least in a 38BR) so I'm less worried about them. The only other real concern I have is the water line going to the island, and possibly the ice maker line. However I suspect the ice maker line can freeze without actually breaking anything.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:20 AM   #4

I winter in my RVs all the time. Like I posted in one of the threads, I stayed a little south of Pittsburg 2 winters ago, in sub zero for stretches of time. I have stayed in MI during the winter, and that is cold coupled with a lot of snow. I use a heated water hose. This winter, I think I will try on of the manufactured heated hoses, but before I just bought a standard hose and put a thermostated heat tape on it, then covered that with the 6 foot long sections of waterline insulation, that is available anywhere. I usually hook up the sewer permanent, with PVC piping, but have also used the regular hose, encased in the cheap PVC in a bigger size. That just keep the hose flat, with no dips, so I can let the gray water empty continuously. I have never skirted, but am thinking I might this winter. Also, most propane companies will let you "borrow a 100lb tank, if you sign a contract to buy only from them. Or, you can buy one for about 100 bucks. In real cold months, you will use at least 100 lb, plus use electric heater inside. I use a couple of in fared heaters, along with the fireplace. Winters have been very comfortable, even in temps below zero for a few days at a time.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
I winter in my RVs all the time. Like I posted in one of the threads, I stayed a little south of Pittsburg 2 winters ago, in sub zero for stretches of time. I have stayed in MI during the winter, and that is cold coupled with a lot of snow. I use a heated water hose. This winter, I think I will try on of the manufactured heated hoses, but before I just bought a standard hose and put a thermostated heat tape on it, then covered that with the 6 foot long sections of waterline insulation, that is available anywhere. I usually hook up the sewer permanent, with PVC piping, but have also used the regular hose, encased in the cheap PVC in a bigger size. That just keep the hose flat, with no dips, so I can let the gray water empty continuously. I have never skirted, but am thinking I might this winter. Also, most propane companies will let you "borrow a 100lb tank, if you sign a contract to buy only from them. Or, you can buy one for about 100 bucks. In real cold months, you will use at least 100 lb, plus use electric heater inside. I use a couple of in fared heaters, along with the fireplace. Winters have been very comfortable, even in temps below zero for a few days at a time.
I like all of that, however, what about the hose bib where you connect to city water, is that also heat taped ??
Our hydrants here are meant to be used in the winter, but they self drain 5' below ground. If a hose were hooked up to it, the standpipe would freeze solid.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:32 AM   #6
Traveling

I will definitely be heat-taping the hose stand. it would freeze. I will also wrap it with insulation.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradolivin View Post
I like all of that, however, what about the hose bib where you connect to city water, is that also heat taped ??
Our hydrants here are meant to be used in the winter, but they self drain 5' below ground. If a hose were hooked up to it, the standpipe would freeze solid.
Yes, I'm sorry, I forgot that. I run a heat tape down the city water connection. I usually dig down about a foot, run the tape down, and wrap the whole city connection in heat tape, and insulation. Some places I've stayed had dedicated winter spots, with the city connection about 2 feet underground, with a concrete encasement surrounding it. In that case, I just lay a heat tape down inside the encasement, and make sure the thermostat is above ground. Those hydrants you speak of are self draining hydrants, but what most parks fail to realize is that if they are kept under pressure, they aren't winter friendly, as they don't drain, if hooked up, and turned on. I always heat tape those, and then wrap in insulation. You can also cheaply build a wood box to go overtop of those, after heat taping.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:48 AM   #8

These heated underbelly rigs are really pretty winter friendly, without skirting, if you don't mind running the furnace quit a bit, and use electric heaters to calm the cold spots.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
Traveling

Well, I am greatly happy to hear all of this. I also have put my trusty electric mattress pad on the bed :-) as I do every winter. Getting into a toasty bed at night is a big help. I used this in the S&B too. I am sure we will become acutely aware of where the leaky areas are in the coach for cold air to leak through. I do greatly worry about something freezing underneath, but I haven't heard of anyone yet on the forum complaining of that, unless I missed it? Hope not.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Well, I am greatly happy to hear all of this. I also have put my trusty electric mattress pad on the bed :-) as I do every winter. Getting into a toasty bed at night is a big help. I used this in the S&B too. I am sure we will become acutely aware of where the leaky areas are in the coach for cold air to leak through. I do greatly worry about something freezing underneath, but I haven't heard of anyone yet on the forum complaining of that, unless I missed it? Hope not.
Just make sure you run your propane furnace enough to keep the underbelly relatively warm, and it doesn't take as much as you might think. I have heard of some people trying to get off cheaper, and run only electric heaters, as most campgrounds have electric included, and end up with something freezing, trying to get by cheaper. It's not bad in moderate winters, really. I have no experience with far north winters, but MI got pretty cold, and my RVs have faired well. I have never skirted, and the only reason I probably will this winter, is to just keep the RV more cozy, and draft free, as I'm pretty close to my S&B, and my wife visits about every other week, now that my kid is in the same town, going to college, and mom loves to visit her daughter. LOL
Old 10-14-2014, 02:28 AM   #11
Site Team

A trick I've used while I use my unit in below zero temps.......I use windshield washer fluid in the toilet. You can usually buy the stuff on sale pretty cheap.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
A trick I've used while I use my unit in below zero temps.......I use windshield washer fluid in the toilet. You can usually buy the stuff on sale pretty cheap.
Yeah, you mentioned that some time ago and I thought it was a great idea. I blew out the lines this year, but got to thinking about the pump, so low areas, etc. and decided to "pink her out" Had an extra gallon, put it by the stool and the DW said, "can I still use the bathroom" ?? Sure, just use the jug of pink stuff to flush, might be blue next month ??

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:32 AM   #13

Todd. I would invest in a thermostat with a couple of remotes, one remote for your heated bays and one outside. I also read on another forum the a 25-40 watt work light would keep the water bays from freezing...Ian
Old 10-14-2014, 03:20 AM   #14

Dave,
Why windshield washer fluid vs RV antifreeze? Is it cheaper?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:36 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Dave,
Why windshield washer fluid vs RV antifreeze? Is it cheaper?

In most cases yes. You can find winter wiper fluid on sale for $1 a gallon.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #16

We used windshield washer for many years. It works and like Dave mentioned, it can be bought on sale for a little over a buck.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #17

I am concerned about the discussion on using windshield washer vs RV antifreeze. Maybe I just worry to much but with many new owners and new to RV's the use of windshield washer fluid because it is cheaper might just lead some to think they could winterize using windshield washer. Windshield washer is poison and could cause great harm. Pets could be in extreme danger with a toilet full of antifreeze. For a couple of bucks I will keep my family and dog safe.
Maybe overly concerned....Ian
Old 10-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #18
Traveling

Definitely worth pointing out Ian, thank you. It's a good reminder. Antifreeze is attractive to dogs, and they WILL consume it and it takes only a tiny amount to kill them. Be careful out there.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
I am concerned about the discussion on using windshield washer vs RV antifreeze. Maybe I just worry to much but with many new owners and new to RV's the use of windshield washer fluid because it is cheaper might just lead some to think they could winterize using windshield washer. Windshield washer is poison and could cause great harm. Pets could be in extreme danger with a toilet full of antifreeze. For a couple of bucks I will keep my family and dog safe.
Maybe overly concerned....Ian

Car anti-freeze is dangerous around pets and other animals because of the sugar base that tends to taste sweet (I used to haul tankers of this stuff to car manufactures). Windshield washer fluid on the other hand is alcohol based and therefore not tempting for pets or kids.

Keep in mind that the washer fluid does have a warning label on it "Poison". I guess that label is needed for the same folks that have to worry about the toilet brush with a label on it stating "not for internal use".
Old 10-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #20
Traveling

Haha Dave, I agree. That's the hallmark of a litigious society as we have become.