Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #21
Site Team

It's a shame.....now we have so many warning labels.......we now are accustomed to ignoring them.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
TNT,
The only other real concern I have is the water line going to the island, and possibly the ice maker line. However I suspect the ice maker line can freeze without actually breaking anything.....
Au contraire, mon frère the icemaker line did freeze in our 38gk... and that was in north texas - not REALLY cold temps...

it only sprayed water everywhere behind the stove, fridge, and drawers...
and ran out the bottom of the rv when it thawed...
I would suggest turning it off under the sink and blowing it out or winterizing....

This is the hose I have - very think and warms up well
good luck !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #23
Traveling

Thanks JB2; that sounds awful. Definitely will be keeping that in mind. I sure appreciate all the tips. Invaluable.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #24
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Au contraire, mon frère the icemaker line did freeze in our 38gk... and that was in north texas - not REALLY cold temps...

it only sprayed water everywhere behind the stove, fridge, and drawers...
and ran out the bottom of the rv when it thawed...
I would suggest turning it off under the sink and blowing it out or winterizing....

This is the hose I have - very think and warms up well
good luck !
Well it's good I heard it here first! I had only spent a couple of nights below freezing with daily highs above freezing. I'll be sure to turn it off in the really cold stuff.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #25
Traveling

Turning it off won't be enough though, must also clear the line, don't forget. Better to keep it on and making ice if you don't clear the line!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #26

On the Norcold the outside solenoid valve and tubing to the ice maker itself is heat traced, but the supply line is not. On ours, its wrapped in foam where exposed outside. Some folks on here (Dan I think) said he has had no problem in freezing weather with it making ice.

If it were me, I might be tempted to leave the valve off, raise the bail in the ice tray to shut it off, drain the ice maker at the solenoid tubing, disconnect under the sink and blow it out with a compressor and reconnect it. When the freeze is over, just turn the valve back on and drop the bail.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #27

Stayed in the Texas panhandle with extremely cold north wind hitting directly on that side of the coach & had no problems with ice maker line. I had the supply hose heat traced & wrapped & we rented a 100# propane bottle that lasted about 6-8 weeks while running a small elec. heater, we don't have the fireplace. Also just FYI, there's a 2" duct coming off your furnace that goes into the underbelly to provide heat to holding tanks. The coach was a bit drafty in spots, but for most part stayed toasty warm. You being in pacific norhtwest you will have cold, but I don't think you get the horrible winds we had.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #28
Traveling

Thanks TT; That makes me feel better. We get wind now and then, but not cold wind as a rule. I guess we'll just have to see what happens.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #29
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
On the Norcold the outside solenoid valve and tubing to the ice maker itself is heat traced, but the supply line is not. On ours, its wrapped in foam where exposed outside. Some folks on here (Dan I think) said he has had no problem in freezing weather with it making ice.

If it were me, I might be tempted to leave the valve off, raise the bail in the ice tray to shut it off, drain the ice maker at the solenoid tubing, disconnect under the sink and blow it out with a compressor and reconnect it. When the freeze is over, just turn the valve back on and drop the bail.
That's my take as well. It's probably a 5 min process and worth the effort to prevent some of the issues others have mentioned.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #30
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Stayed in the Texas panhandle with extremely cold north wind hitting directly on that side of the coach & had no problems with ice maker line. I had the supply hose heat traced & wrapped & we rented a 100# propane bottle that lasted about 6-8 weeks while running a small elec. heater, we don't have the fireplace. Also just FYI, there's a 2" duct coming off your furnace that goes into the underbelly to provide heat to holding tanks. The coach was a bit drafty in spots, but for most part stayed toasty warm. You being in pacific norhtwest you will have cold, but I don't think you get the horrible winds we had.
My experience is in the cold with no wind its fairly cozy, but add wind and as you mentioned its a bit drafty. Suppose there's not much that can be done about that really.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
My experience is in the cold with no wind its fairly cozy, but add wind and as you mentioned its a bit drafty. Suppose there's not much that can be done about that really.
Yea, the cheap blue/pink underpinning I mentioned.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:14 AM   #32

Glad I could help, just do as much as you think necessary & hope for the best. That instance I had the temp was in teens with 30+ mph north winds putting the chill factor into the minus teens, will not do that again.
Let me know how it works out this winter as I may be spending some of next winter in the Gig Harbor area, son is relocating there.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:22 AM   #33
Traveling

You got it. Gig Harbor is quite a bit more temperate than where we are since they are near the Sound. Nice area! Well, I can always make snowcones!! Thanks everyone!
Old 10-16-2014, 03:26 AM   #34

Did not see it specifically mentioned but... you should NOT leave your Black tank valve open. Keeping it open will result in Number 1 draining away and Number 2 piling up into something that will be hard to get rid of even when it finally thaws out.

I suggest you open the Black water every few days and follow up with a swish from a Grey tank left closed for a day to move the solids out of the tank and thru your solid PVC pipe.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #35
Traveling

Thanks BradPAjax. Yep, we got that one down for sure ;-) I wish they would teach people this who are new to RVing when they take delivery. I don't think even THEY know. It's a verrrrry expensive and STINKY problem to have. I have a relative who complains about his toilet smelling, but he always leaves his black valve open. I don't even want to know what the inside of his "empty" black tank looks like ;-)
Old 10-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #36

Just got finished hooking up my Pirit, heated water hose. Also, just got finished hooking up my sewer outlet "permanent", with PVC piping. Now I'm set. After getting back from our vacation to Orlando, I'm going to start putting the pink/blue, 1" thick insulation board around the unit. I'm digging in. LOL